Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE xray day for baby bun

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
    • babybunsmum
      Participant
      3896 posts Send Private Message

hi all… although today is my first day posting, i have been lurking on this site for some time.  mainly to check out the bunny cams (my favorite daily distraction).  today i am waiting to hear back from my new vet so i can go in & pick up my bun – baby – from getting her xray.  since i can’t concentrate on work i began reading through this forum… what a great place!  so many bunny people here!

we’re waiting to find out if she has any internal ‘spots’ since she has a sizeable mass protruding (sp?) on her belly.  if the xray is clear i can have the mass removed – a $600 surgery.  sigh.  i hope its good news & i can go ahead with the surgery. 

my step dad thinks i’m nuts to spend $600 on an old rabbit but i can’t imagine NOT doing it & making her golden years more comfy.  she’s a 7yr old lop and a very stubborn & feisty gal.  shes an independant bun & doesnt like to be fussed with much (she owes me a daily cuddle & kiss anyways!)   but remains curious & hard working at her phone book and re-arranging her hay every day.

anyways… better actually get some work done.  thanks for reading.

cheers

• Kokaneeandkahlua
        Participant
        12067 posts Send Private Message

I am on this site all day at work as well! hehe
          Wishing you good luck and good news for baby bun! Let us know how it goes!!

• MooBunnay
          Participant
          3087 posts Send Private Message

Hello! Welcome to BinkyBunny!!

I’m sorry to hear your bun might need surgery – but I think its fantastic how willing you are to take care of her. Trust me, there are many many other people on this site that would do the exact same thing! (myself included ) I think that people who do not have rabbits can not understand what great companions and friends they are to their human slaves. I hope that she is doing OK, and that you hear back from the vet soon – keep us updated!

Henri, Juli, Kramer, Raymond, Grace, Bean and Teen (my buns) all send “healing bunny vibes” to your friend

• babybunsmum
            Participant

awww… thanks so much for the well wishes & healing bunny vibes.  it’s nearly 2pm & i’m still waiting to hear back.

this situation is ick but i’m so pleased to have found a vet that’s bunny-friendly.  my last vet basically told me that rabbits cannot be helped surgically period, since they are prone to die with shock, including spaying / neutering. grrr.  never could understand why all the websites spoke as though it was a common procedure when it couldn’t happen here (i live near toronto ontario).  

my goodness MooBunnay you have lots o bunnies!  i’m jealous

• Scarlet_Rose
              Participant
              4293 posts Send Private Message

Welcome babybunsmom! I too am sorry to hear about the mass and hope that all is well and it is not cancerous.  Please do let us know when you find out. Is your girl spayed by the way?

• babybunsmum
                Participant

no she’s not spayed

my old vet would not perform that surgery back when i adopted her and unfortunately i did know enough to investigate further.  in her checkup last week my new vet said her uterus felt normal during the physical exam .  she cautioned me that girl buns are prone to uterin cancer when not spayed but that due to baby’s age (she’s 7) she wouldn’t recommend spaying anymore.  best when they’re younger. 

her eyes are a wee bit weepy & i was given drops for them.  other than that her health is very good.  normal body temp, insides felt normal, healthy teeth & gums, normal healthy appetite & poops, not to mention a rabbitude like none other i’ve seen before!  she’smy third bun.  i think (hope) the xray is a preacaution and mainly rule out lung spots.

thanks for the reply!  this forum has certainly helped me bide my time and cheered my mood

• Gravehearted
                  Participant
                  2428 posts Send Private Message

welcome babybunsmum,

we’re keeping our paws crossed that it won’t be cancer or lung spots. i am glad to hear you have a new vet that is bunny savvy and really hope everything will be ok.  please keep us updated!

• babybunsmum
                    Participant

good news!  baby’s xrays show that she is free of any suspicious spots and we can go ahead with the removal of her mass.  we’re not out of the woods until the mass is tested of course, but so far so good!  now i better go & try to get back in her good books before i have to take back for her surgery on wed.  she was so mad at me earlier that she ran out from under the chest of drawers as if to greet me… but instead promptly turned her back to me & stayed that way while she groomed.  dear me!

• Scarlet_Rose
                      Participant

Oh my, she gave you "THE BUTT"  That is one rabbitude for sure! I’m glad that this is a great outlet for you.  It is so nervewracking when something is wrong with your furred friends.  I totally agree with your vet that she is too old to spay now, but it’s great that she is in very good health! So, they are waiting to test the mass after surgery, any particular reason why and not taking a sample of it beforehand? I am just curious as I have heard it done both ways. Maybe it was related to the type of mass though.

• babybunsmum
                        Participant

"So, they are waiting to test the mass after surgery, any particular reason why and not taking a sample of it beforehand? I am just curious as I have heard it done both ways. Maybe it was related to the type of mass though."

hmm… in my worry i didn’t even think of asking that question.  i guess because the mass protrudes it’s less complicated to remove it in any case so it does not get infected (she fusses over it poor dear).  off i go to see if she’s eaten her treats & to see i get ‘THE BUTT’ again!  lol

• Scarlet_Rose
                          Participant

That makes sense to me.  Oh hey, it’s enough worrying about it. How funny Baby is, and what a trooper. I’m sorry if I missed this elsewhere but is it a mammary tumor? I just thought if I could help you find stuff to read it might help, but then it might make you worry too.  So maybe it is better to wait and see what the vet says.  Just try to relax and keep us updated otherwise I am going to be fraught with worry!

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE xray day for baby bun