Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Woven grass mats

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
    • LittlePuffyTail
      18092 posts Send Private Message

I  seen some woven grass mats at my petstore yesterday and I want to get one for Bindi as he seems bored lately and so he can have something soft to lay on.

Did anyone every try these? He is a chewer so I’m pretty sure he will chew it in no time and I”m wondering if it could possibly upset his tummy if he goes nuts?

• msarro
        Participant
        119 posts Send Private Message

The ones I’ve seen at Superpetz were made with timothy hay woven to make a nice little rug. Bindi should be fine. Most of them are made to be safely chewed if they’re marketed towards bunnies

Let me know how yours works out if you get it. I’m planning to get one myself since I’d rather Layla have that than just plain newspaper.

• osprey
          Participant
          2065 posts Send Private Message

These are a good option for bunnies that like to chew.  I’ve used the ones made by For Other Living Things (maize husks and sea grass) as well as the ones from Busy Bunny (peeled willow and woven straw).  They work well as chew toys, and not as well as cage mats.  My buns at least like to move them around and chew them up, so they rarely stay covering the spot I want to cover for very long.

• LittlePuffyTail
            18092 posts Send Private Message

Okay thanks. I’m gonna get him one next time I got to the store.

• dmh426
              Participant
              433 posts Send Private Message

You can often them at crafts store MUCH cheaper. Just make sure they are untreated, unlacquered and haven’t been sprayed with anything. Sophie, my bunny, loooooooves willow balls and willow mats also. very durable, comfy, great for the teeth!

• wendyzski
                Participant
                1312 posts Send Private Message

you can get them in strips frpm Cost Plus World Market for $1 a square.

• skunklionshow
                  Participant
                  1257 posts Send Private Message

Wend:  I LOVE Cost Plus!  We don’t have them out here (philly), but I go there anytime I visit my family in Chgo. 

I bought a couple of mats on Binky recently.  A criss cross woven one and a regular sea grass one.  The criss cross one was a huge tasty treat.  That one got eaten pretty quickly.  The sea grass became more of a pee mat (I’m not sure why).  I put them on top of the rag rugs in the condo as an additional bit of fun for them.  The only thing is that the sea grass, Leo couldn’t get much tranction on.  Occassionally he would go into a slip and slide when running too fast or waking too quickly.  Ikea usually sells untreated ones pretty inexpensively.

• Steve Parker
                    Participant
                    76 posts Send Private Message

I bought woven mats from Binky Bunny. Buddy loves his. He chewed up the first one so I bought a second, larger one. With the larger one he lays on it and from time to time, tries to pick it up and move it a bit. I highly recommend the ones at Binky!

• Balefulregards
                      Participant
                      715 posts Send Private Message

My Local Pier One is clearancing ALOT of their woven mats including some super huge sea grass “beach mats” for 4 bucks. I bought four of those, as Coco loves to chew them to bits.

Plus, they have those round ones for 2.99 or so

• MimzMum
                        Participant
                        8029 posts Send Private Message

Now I stopped feeding the grass mats to my two and decided not to use the woven grass ball toys when one of our UK users had found one of her bunnies bleeding from the face for having caught a tooth on one of those grass balls. (Sadly I think the bunny died from loss of blood later on.)

I was using the BB.com mats for awhile but my two just plow through those and I can’t really afford more at present.

So could someone please post pictures of what you’re talking about? This is what the ones I get from my local pet store look like. Are they safe?

1815505589571.JPG

• skunklionshow
                          Participant
                          1257 posts Send Private Message

Mimz:  Do you have Ikea, Pier One, or even Cost Plus up in the great North?  The various grass ones have become more popular for humans as rug choices.  I had a sisal woven rug from Ikea that I really loved.  Unfortunately that was b/f the rabbits were fixed, so it became a pee mat.  I’m planning on replacing sooner than later.  Anyway, I was saying that they’ve become very popular as they are a “greener” alternative than carpet and fiber based rugs.  You might be able to find them at the home depot, Loews, possibly even Walmart or Target.  You may have to ask if they have been treated or are all natural.

• Alicia Conklin
                            Participant
                            721 posts Send Private Message

I just bought two more of the grass mats from PetSmart..they were on clearance for 1.00 each!! Tucker kind of likes to chew on those but mainly he prefers tugging and throwing them.  I got a couple straw placemats that were 100% straw and didn’t smell like any chemical and had no laquer from walmart that he LOVES to chew.  He only gets to chew one of them though because my cat has claimed one as hers and the other is in his playhouse and I don’t THINK he’s eaten that one yet..but maybe he has..

• kimberleyanddarren
                              Participant
                              2520 posts Send Private Message

mimzmum there are balls which are safe for bunnies, its stupid pets at home again making everything unsafe. They arent all like that

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                Participant
                                12067 posts Send Private Message

Mimz that matt looks fine too!!

I have three right now – (found at pet stores, one from bb and one from the rescue I got chuck from)

These are the kind I got from the rescue there, your actually not that far from them and they do ship orders….Those thicker matts pictured are the kind I bought and they’ve lasted along time http://www.vrra.org/

• osprey
                                  Participant
                                  2065 posts Send Private Message

K&K, those are the sea grass/maize mats from For Other Living Things.  I found out the sad news last weekend that they are not making them any more!  They had terrible problems with quality control with their Chinese supplier, and I guess the whole process was just too painful and they are not going to do it again.  My guys love those mats, this is a real bummer.

• Balefulregards
                                    Participant
                                    715 posts Send Private Message

I also just discovered pine cones. We picked them up on a recent trip while walking around outdoors Holy cripes but does Coco love to knock those things around.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                      Participant
                                      12067 posts Send Private Message

Oh darn! Osprey you might still be able to get them from VRRA’s site, she sold me a 12×12 one (or so, just guessing size) for three dollars, because they were on sale….

• MimzMum
                                        Participant
                                        8029 posts Send Private Message

I WISH I had Cost Plus here! ^_^ I shopped that place like it was going out of style as a teen and in my early twenties! LOVED the clothes, jewelry and of course, this was where I was introduced to the venerable Toblerone chocolate bar and those nummy hazelnut dark chocolate wafer cookies! YUM! *drools*

But yeah, my two love these simple little mats. Pip likes to throw hers around early in the morning if I haven’t gotten up in time for breakfast and Mimzy uses his as a plate. ^_^
                                          I just found a stash of BinkyBunny.com straw mats in my bunny cabinet, along with a few bales of oat and wheat hay I hadn’t remembered I had, so I’m set for a bit. But with the new bun, I think I’m going to need a few more mats. 0_o He tucked right in to the one I placed with him in the xpen this afternoon!

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Woven grass mats