Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING would it be easier/better to bond

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • renaelock
      Participant
      12 posts Send Private Message

an adult to an adult or an adult to a young bunny?  I currently have a 3 year old checkered giant and want to get him a friend (maybe boy maybe girl – he will help decide) I was curious it would be easier to bond him to another adult or to bond him to a younger rabbit?  Any advise or opinions would be great!!

• Elrohwen
        Participant
        7318 posts Send Private Message

I think I saw your post on another forum. I’ll post my answer here for you as well:

You should really go to the rescue and do some bunny dating. Sometimes babies and adults will get along, but it’s not a true “bond”. As soon as the baby goes through hormonal periods fighting can break out and often re-bonding after fixing is like starting from the beginning.

I would 100% recommend bunny dating with adult already fixed bunnies for the best chance of success. If you get a baby, it will be hit or miss and you could potentially have two separate buns for a very long time (or forever). 

Male/female bonds are generally the easiest and most stable, but male/male bonds can work well too if one of the males is very laid back.

• renaelock
          Participant

Thank you, I thought I had the “email with new replies” checked but I guess I didn’t and I thought I wasn’t getting responses so I posted on this forum too – silly me. Thanks for the information, I do prefer a rabbit that is already fixed for my rabbit to become friends with – he’s neutered too.

• Elrohwen
            Participant

Spaying is a big operation and expensive, so getting an already spayed bun is really the best choice all around. Do you have anywhere nearby that you can take him bunny dating? You may find that he gets along with everybunny or that he is very picky about who he wants to be friends with.

• renaelock
              Participant

I do have a shelter near buy but I am still doing my homework on the place – I am hoping to visit there tomorrow. I completely agree that is adopting is the less risky “cheaper” way to go – if the rabbit is already fixed that is and that fact that you can bunny date. My rabbits previous owner said that he needs laid back companions so it sounds like he’s the dominant one – he’s been paired with a couple other buns with his past owner so I know it’s possible for him to have friends.

• Elrohwen
                Participant

That’s great that he’s had other companions! Sometimes rabbits have a hard time learning how to just be with other bunnies since they don’t have any experience. He probably already understand rabbit communication and will be able to get along with another rabbit.

If he is dominant, and the females he meets want to be dominant too (because females often do) try introducing him to a laid back male. As Petzy, a very experienced bonder here, told me “there’s always trouble when a female is involved.” 😉

• renaelock
                  Participant

Posted By Elrohwen on 04/16/2010 05:57 PM 
                    … “there’s always trouble when a female is involved.” 😉

Haha, funny!

I do love the idea of having two boy rabbits instead of a boy and a girl – I like boy pets.  I have one female dog and 2 boy dogs and the female always starts the pointless “fights”.

• Elrohwen
                    Participant

My boy is laid back and I could’ve easily got another boy, but I stuck with getting a girl. My girl turned out to be not too much of a diva, but she’s still way feistier than my boy!

There are plenty of boys at my local rescue that “go both ways” but not many girls who will put up with another girl.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING would it be easier/better to bond