Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Would a long car ride be too much?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • dlscanne
      Participant
      149 posts Send Private Message

I am currently in the process of re-bonding my two.  They have done a few 5-10 minute car rides together followed by time in a neutral zone (they’re up to about 20 minutes together before the bickering starts). 

Tomorrow I am taking them on a 6 hour drive to stay with me  in Vermont for a couple of months.  They’ve both done the drive fine many times seperately.  Do you think I could keep them in the same carrier for longer periods of time together?  Or would that stress them too much?  One is 9 months old and the other is approaching 2 years, so it’s not like they are seniors or anything.  They are also both healthy. 

I thought this might be a good stress and endurance bonding combo opportunity.  Let me know your thoughts. 

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

I think it would be better if you could keep them together if they don’t fight for the whole car ride. Just take plenty of rest breaks to check on them and provide water and fresh hay or greens. They may not eat or drink but I would still offer at the rest stops.

• MarkBun
          Participant
          2842 posts Send Private Message

I”ll concur with Sarita on this one.

• dlscanne
            Participant
            149 posts Send Private Message

I had them in two separate carriers while I packed up their pen, supplies and whatnot…I wanted them to be the last to be loaded in the car, so they ended up sitting side by side like that for almost an hour. when I finally got to loading them into the car I put them in the same carrier, but they started fighting right away…I think they were perturbed from sitting in the carriers so long (in their familiar environment).

My route starts with about 45 minutes on the highway, so I kept them separate then. When I got off I put them together, no problem. The spent the next 5 hours peacefully, mostly sleeping stretched out side by side.

I was tempted to keep them together a little while when I got to my destination, but decided not to push it. 5 hours is good. I’ll try to put them together tomorrow again.

• BinkyBunny
              8776 posts Send Private Message

Sounds like once the car was moving they were much more willing to stick together and snuggle.

Keep us updated!

The car rides have really helped Jack and Vivian. I still even just do a quick ride around the block as it helps Jack to settle down a bit as he is the instigator.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Would a long car ride be too much?