Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Worried

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
    • Apryl
      Participant
      5 posts Send Private Message

I got my little bunny about a month and  a half ago. I spoil her so much and take the best care of her that I can.

I am alittle worried now because she has been making this coughing sound. It sounds like little sneezes but not. Im not sure. I read that bunnies coughin is really bad so I keep givin her fresh water ect.

DOes anyone elses make this noise or no anythin bout it?

• Kokaneeandkahlua
        Participant
        12067 posts Send Private Message

It sounds like she has a cold. She’ll need to see a vet and the sooner the better. Since Rabbits are prey animals they hide thier illnesses until they are very sick….So it’s imperative she see a rabbit vet as soon as you can. Do you have a vet yet?

• jerseygirl
          22345 posts Send Private Message

Hi Apryl. I know that bunnies can hiccup from time to time. Is that more like the sound she makes? Mine makes a cough like sound/looks like a spasm/cough if that makes sense. This normally happens when shes eating cecotrophs.

Do you have a vet for her yet? It’s really important to have a bunny vet lined up because bunnies can get ill very quickly. If you already have a vet, you can ring and ask them if it’s anything to worry about.

Welcome here! I’m sure some very experienced bunny people will be along soon to help with this.

EDIT: Like K&K (experienced!)  must have posted at same time!

• BinkyBunny
            8776 posts Send Private Message

Welcome Apryl. I triple ditto. Rabbits can get respitory infections, and sneezing/coughing can be part of that. Coughing in a bunny is like a really hard sneeze. It’s hard to tell it’s a “cough” because it sounds so much like a sneeze. But either way, finding a rabbit savvy vet is important. Better to establish with one now anyway since you recently got her.

I don’t know where you live, but check out HRS’s vet list – a good place to start – http://www.rabbit.org/vets/vets.html
              And here is a great article about how to find a rabbit savvy vet – http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/vet.html

• Beka27
              Participant
              16016 posts Send Private Message

welcome here. not to sound redundant… but i think she needs to see a vet. this is a good thing to do anyways with a new bunny, have an initial visit with a rabbit vet. tell us a little more about her too. what kind of housing does she have (indoors or out?), is she litterbox trained, what does her diet consist of? do you know how old she is?

• bunnytowne
                Participant
                7537 posts Send Private Message

Loopy used to sneeze a lot when he first came home. The vet put him on Baytril. To me it sounded like it had turned into a cough. I couldn’t be sure. HE took his baytril and the sneezing stopped. Unless he got really hyper.  Otherwise he was fine.  The Baytril cleared up whatever it was. So to play it safe a vet check is a good idea. You just never know with buns.

• Binkles
                  Participant
                  823 posts Send Private Message

Just a suggestion -is there anything around the area that could be making the room(s) dusty or just releasing other various airborne particles? Whenever I REALLY let my room go for a while, I found that Binkles would go into little sneezing fits. This was always a sign that I really needed to shape things up! And when everything was clean, the sneezing would stop.

• Ana
                    Participant
                    182 posts Send Private Message

If it’s new could she be overheating? Aside from a cold and hiccups, bunnies breath heavily when hot– maybe that’s what she’s doing?

• Apryl
                      Participant

I spoke to my aunt who has a bunny as well and she said her bunny does the same thing. Since i am worried i been callin around to find a vet for her. the vet i bring my dogs to dont take bunnies in, but i will find her one.  Thank you everyone

• kimberleyanddarren
                        Participant
                        2520 posts Send Private Message

keep us posted!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                          Participant
                          12067 posts Send Private Message

If you’d like to tell us approximately where you live (ie. what city) Its almost a guarantee that one of us lives close and can recommend a vet-if not we can help find some recommended ones from other rabbit people.

• msarro
                            Participant
                            119 posts Send Private Message

Vet vet vet!!!! Also, what kind of bedding do you have her in? What kind of bedding did they have where you got her from? I’ve seen small animals do that when they’re exposed to pine chips. Also, is there a lot of dirt/dust in the air in the room where you have her? If its a really dusty room, it could be as simple as that. Definately see a vet to find out for sure.

• Apryl
                              Participant

i use pine chips in her cage i was told that it was okay for thema nd i got it from a bunny store… alot of people on this site say its bad tho so im gettn her somethin else this week when i get paid.. now im paraoid… i used a different bedding before this tho and she was coughin then to… thasts why i switched. im also bringing her to the vet this week. i live in new jersey so if anyone knows a goodvet around here please let me know. ima talk to him about the bedding that is good and the litter ect.

• BinkyBunny
                                8776 posts Send Private Message

Oh, that’s great you are switching.  Pine shavings emit certain phenols which can cause liver damage overtime.  But there are many pine PELLETed litters that are okay, like feline pine and even many woodstove pellets becaue the harmful oils/phenols are dried out during processing.

Below is a great link for NJ vets, and be sure to click on the section in the article where it says “ask the right questions” .  Very important.

http://www.njhrs.com/vet.htm

Keep us updated.

Viewing 13 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Worried