Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Worried about my bunnies teeth

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • Plumped Cuddly Bunnies
      Blocked
      103 posts Send Private Message

My male bunny has started to aggressively chew the bars of his enclosure and he can also be very loud when he shakes them but I’m worried that his going to cause himself injury by constantly trying to chew through metal.

He has plenty of space and gets let out but I have to split my time as I have two does who also need there daily exercise. He will get the run of the yard soon I am in the process of securing it so that he can go out when ever he wants. It may take a couple of weeks before I can secure the yard for him.

In the mean time I’m a bit worried he will break his teeth. Is there something I can get to smear on the bars of his enclosure to stop him?

• DanaNM
        8930 posts Send Private Message

Can you hang some mats from the side so he has something safe to chew on?

Hanging a towel or blanket over the bars can also help with chewing, but you should make sure he has appropriate toys to help with boredom and is getting enough exercise.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Plumped Cuddly Bunnies
          Blocked

He ignores his toys . He has lots of branches, bark and hay to chew on but when he sees me or sees my bedroom light on from the other end of the house he wants to come out and he can’t. I put wood over the front part of his enclosure but that hasn’t helped also there are mice near where he is and I think he might see them as other bunnies or something and wants to come out. He gets let out twice a day sometimes 3 times a day depending on how much time I have but this is only temporary. I’m hoping to get some work done tomorrow to speed things up a bit. Once I get all the wire mesh up he can run about all day while I work on the other things.

• Wick & Fable
            5781 posts Send Private Message

Since he’s ignoring his toys, then they are not considered toys. Like children, rabbit have their own personal tastes. I recommend experimenting with different toy presentations, like attaching things to the pen wall perhaps.

Getting a sheet to put on the outside of the pen to create the illusion of a wall is also helpful at times.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Plumped Cuddly Bunnies
              Blocked

He loves to play but not with any kinda toy. I gave him a cardboard box and he ignored that. I’ve got a lot of work done today more than expected and I think if I carry on persevering tomorrow I can get the yard done so he could be out running about by tomorrow. I will also be joining on his original pen to it so he can go out when ever he wants once I’ve got rid of the mice.

• DanaNM
                8930 posts Send Private Message

If you can find them, phone books are really good for buns that have a lot of energy. They love to shred them up!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Plumped Cuddly Bunnies
                  Blocked

His new habitat is almost ready. It would have been ready today but the cement I used to block some holes to stop the mice from getting in is still wet and it should have dried by now. I may have added too much water to the mix so I’ll have to re-do it all after work or tomorrow unless I work flat out tonight to get it done for him. I checked his teeth this morning and they appear to be ok. Every time I see him chewing the bars, its so unsettling. I probably will work flat out tonight so I can get him out into his new habitat asap. I’m working today so I literally do not have time until I get back later.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Worried about my bunnies teeth