Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Worming Paste?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • Shelli
      Participant
      5 posts Send Private Message

Hi all,

Does anybody have any good methods for getting worming paste into young bunnies?  I can sort of get them onto their backs but they will NOT open their mouths for the syringe.  Is the bunny burrito a good method for this?  I’ve not done this to either of them before.

On another note, if buns have been using a dish for water, can they be trained to use a bottle?  We’ve been told it’s better to use a bottle so they don’t poop in it, but with the weather being warm we didn’t want them to dehydrate.  Please help!

Shelli xx

• MooBunnay
        Participant
        3087 posts Send Private Message

Hello Shelli!

I would not recommend giving the rabbits a water bottle, crocks are much better. How is it that they are pooping in their water dish? I think that means you need a higher sided crock, and consider getting one of the ones that screws onto the side of the cage so they can’t move it around.

Are your bunnies housed outdoors or indoors? I am wondering how they got worms? I have not had experience with rabbits with worms before.

• Sarita
          Participant
          18851 posts Send Private Message

I agree with MooBunnay about water bowls/crocks – in my opinion this is a more natural way for your rabbits to drink water. Yes, they are more work than water bottles in some people’s opinion but that’s the way animals drink not from a water bottle. I think they drink more from the crock too.

Yes, did your vet prescribe the dewormer? Are you giving it from a syringe?

• Shelli
            Participant
            5 posts Send Private Message

Hi, thanks for the info about the water bottle/bowl dilemma, I’m not sure how they manage to poop in there, I think it must be when they are digging and bedding gets pushed about.

Both my buns are indoors, they haven’t shown any signs of having worms and all the droppings they do look normal, they’ve only been with us for a month or so and to my knowledge they’ve never been outside, it was just when we took them for their first lot of jabs the vet recommended we do a worming treatment to be on the safe side.  I’ve never had to worm a rabbit before either, hence the difficulty when I tried!

Shelli xx

• JK
              Participant
              2223 posts Send Private Message

Well here’s my 2 cents.  I really prefer water bottles.  They are less messy for sure.  Edson drinks 32-48 oz per day so there’s no way I could keep up with a crock. Save a Bunny uses water bottles.  I think they are more sanitary.  I do think though if a bunny is having trouble with a water bottle then by all means go for the crock. Just my opinion!

• Deleted User
                Participant
                22064 posts Send Private Message

Shelli-

When my bunny was sick we had to use syringes to feed, water, medicate her. We put a towel on the dining room table to prevent scratches and set Boston there b/c she wouldn’t jump off the high table. Holding her down with one arm, I would stick the syringe in the side of her mouth, pretty far back. We didn’t have much trouble w/ her not opening her mouth, but we had to force the syringe in a couple times.

Good luck!

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Worming Paste?