Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Wood Litter Brands

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
    • kurottabun
      Participant
      908 posts Send Private Message

Currently the wood litter I’m using is in a 4kg bag. They only have it in one size and I’m thinking of exploring other brands that come in a larger packing size so I don’t have to buy it so often.

There are two brands available in my local pet store:

https://www.chipsi.eu/chipsi_en/pro…-ultra.php

https://www.catsbest.eu/catsbest_en/products/universal/

Has anyone heard of these brands or is currently using them? The Chipsi one is “wood granules” so I’m not sure if it’s as safe as the pellet form. The Catsbest one seems to be a better option?

• Boing
        Participant
        253 posts Send Private Message

I love this stuff: http://labbedding.com/laboratory-grade-bedding/

It’s my favourite by far. It’s at my local feed ‘n seed store. It’s $21 for that massive bag. Maybe your local feed ‘n seed could get it in. I’ve never seen anything compare to it.

• jerseygirl
          22342 posts Send Private Message

Your best bet would be to search for horse stall pellets or wood stove pellets in your area. These often are available in 15kg bags or there abouts. Just take care ones sold for heating do not have added accelerant.
            I found these as example for some in the EU.

http://redal.eu/products/wood-pellets/298/ecoline
            http://www.baltwood.eu/en/products/pellets/animal-bedding/wood-pellets-for-bedding.html

• DanaNM
            8930 posts Send Private Message

Second jersey, I get mine at a feed store that sells products for horses ($9 for 40lb). Not sure of the brand, but they are horse stall pellets, the cheaper equivalent of “feline pine”. I’ve never been able to fine the big bags for cheap online!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• kurottabun
              Participant

Thanks guys, appreciate it. Unfortunately I’m actually in Asia and I haven’t for the life of me heard of anyone who actually has horses around here, apart from equestrian clubs. Most of the “farms” here rear chickens/ducks/cows/pigs instead, and I don’t even know where those are because I live in the city D: Nobody uses wood stoves because we’re in a tropical climate and there’s no fireplaces etc.

The pet stores probably import the brands that I mentioned. Those are my only choices (besides my current one).

• jerseygirl

Oh, my mistake! I took the cue from the links you posted to mean you were in EU.
                  Can you find PeeWee Eco wood pellets anywhere? Their site indicates they supply to Singapore, Taiwan and Korea.
                  Another brand that looks suitable is Tom & Pus pine wood cat litter. You can 15kg bags of this.
                  What about Bamboo wood pellets?

• Bam
                  16872 posts Send Private Message

Is there any way you could make a litterbox screen? If you could, you could try the cat’s best without any risk of Kurotta ingesting any of it.

The chipsi ultra seems like it could be messy, but it’s hard to tell from the picture.

• kurottabun
                    Participant

@JG Hmm I don’t see those brands listed in the pet store website I usually go to either. Thanks for the suggestions though!

@bam Kurotta’s litter box already has a screen so I’m not worried about him ingesting it – he’s never had access to the litter. Good point about the mess though.

• jerseygirl

I need to learn to read & comprehend.  Sorry Kurotta!

The Cats Best Universal does appear to be the more suitable one. The site indicates it’s 100% wood, no additives. Do you think you’ll try a smaller bag of a new product first? Or do you forsee Kurotta not having an issue transferring from one wood litter to another?

• kurottabun
                        Participant

Haha it’s alright!

Hmm the smallest bag available seems to be 5.5kg…which can probably last a pretty long time since Kurotta’s so tiny and so is his box (compared to a lot of litter boxes I’ve seen on here). The litter sits underneath a grated box so I’m not sure if he even cares. That said, I do think that it would at least smell different and come to think of it, I really don’t want him to lose his litter habits because of a litter change! He’s only recently (for about two weeks) started peeing completely in his box/cage and not in random spots of the room, so I’d hate to see that go D:

I know mixing the old and new is good for pellet switching, but does it work with litter too?

• jerseygirl

I don’t see why not. : )
                            The new smell would be less overpowering if you only introduce a little at a time, mixing with the more familiar smelling litter.
                            My single bun hardly uses any litter either. He has a grated box also and I only put litter in one corner.

• Bam
                            16872 posts Send Private Message

Oh good, I thought you were worried about ingestion ? I think it sounds like a good idea to do a gradual switch so he gets acquainted with the new scent.

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Wood Litter Brands