Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Will this behavior contiune?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • bunnymama
      Participant
      161 posts Send Private Message

Oaky so I have a thread in Bonding called Bonding Two Females – contiunes and I wanted to ask about this.

Gracie #2 has softened toward Baby #1 or so we thought. She had licked Baby’s face and then literally 3 minutes later when Baby hopped in the large hay box, Gracie nipped her and pulled out more fur than ever before!

It seems that Gracie #2 in recent nips or nip attempts has been over, a pc of carrot, a poop dish, and now the hay box. She seems possesive and I’m wondering if she can be broke of this?  Any ideas?  Baby might be balded before we settle this.

Also Gracie #2 contiunes to poop and peep around the cage area every time she is let out even tho I am switching their cages, and poop dishes (with poop and paper chucks with urine on them) once day.

Thanks for you replies.  I’ll post on my other thread in a day or two. Tonight is bonding session /day #14.

• Beka27
        Participant
        16016 posts Send Private Message

this is not uncommon. things might seem to be better and then something happens… what you might try doing, what i did and seemed to help, is putting Baby in the hay box, and then lifting in Gracie, facing the same direction, petting both on the head at the same time. this can simulate grooming from each other.  if one jumps out, lift them back in and put them together again.  it’s called forced cuddling.

if they are very food motivated, you can try a large pile of greens too.

• Scarlet_Rose
          Participant
          4293 posts Send Private Message

If the fighting gets too bad though, you might want to give them a break. Have you tried a stunt double? It might help to ease some of the tension between them.

• MooBunnay
            Participant
            3087 posts Send Private Message

It is definitely not unusual for buns to get particularly upset when another bun hops in the litterbox with them. I think that Beka’s idea of putting them in the litterbox together is a good idea. Also, as they start to get more comfortable with each other, it will be easier for them to share places like the litterbox. When Baby hopped in the box did she hop in front, or behind Gracie? When still in the bonding process, bunnies can be very sensitive about the other one approaching their behind area, afraid that the bunny will mount them or nip them.

THe litter training probably won’t be as easy while they are still bonding, because they may still be “marking” their territory due to the scent of the other bunny being all over the place. There is a chance that won’t stop until the bonding is finalized because it is pretty normal for unbonded rabbits to have “poop” and pee wars.

• MarkBun
              Participant
              2842 posts Send Private Message

Sounds like Gracie is being posessive about things. You want her to get the idea that baby is a good thing to have around. I’d suggest some more car/dryer rides to let her get the feeling that Baby is a comfort to have.

As an FYI, lately my Maryann has been nipping Dono a bit more than usual. I’ve been finding a patch of his fur about once every other day. But I also catch her grooming him and him grooming her as well as snuggles. I’m not sure what’s been bringing it on but I’ve decided to start up with some car rides again myself.

• BinkyBunny
                8776 posts Send Private Message

If you find the force cuddling does not help or makes it worse, then I recommend getting another litterbox. Some rabbits get very possessive over certain things during bonding (especially the litterbox) but will lighten up later about once they are bonded.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Will this behavior contiune?