Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Will my bun hurt itself on harness??

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
    • Peanutthebunny
      Participant
      239 posts Send Private Message

So I just got a harness for my bun peanut so that I could take him down the field, but I just put it on him, and every time he jumped too far, he got pulled back, and I am scared he might hurt or even break his back.

So should I get him an elastic lead or stop walking him because the velcro on his harness also starts coming off.

• DanaNM
        8930 posts Send Private Message

The short answer is yes, a bun can definitely get hurt while wearing a harness. Harnesses can be quite dangerous if a bun pulls suddenly or gets startled while wearing one.

The safest way to give your bun access to the outdoors is to set up a portable exercise pen, and to be sure your bun is trained to return to a carrier on command (even when frightened).

There are some people who will take their bunnies outside on harnesses, but in my opinion this usually seems more for the human’s enjoyment than the rabbit’s, and it probably isn’t a good fit for many bunny personalities. If you do choose to work on harness training, it has to be done very slowly, starting indoors. First the bun has to get very used to wearing the harness indoors, and well trained to come to you and/or to a carrier on command while wearing it.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• DanaNM

Here’s a few other threads on this topic with some more info (since this topic comes up relatively regularly on the forum!):

Harness / Leash train

Are Harnesses Safe?

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Peanutthebunny
            Participant
            239 posts Send Private Message

Hi, thank you for the links to the other threads. Even though I was so excited to walk him, I think it would be a terrible idea, so I think I will just let him go outside in his pen like usual instead of stressing him out

• Wick & Fable
              5781 posts Send Private Message

I agree that those who walk their rabbits are doing it more for themselves instead of the rabbit. If the rabbit’s safety and engagement is the first priority, the clear choice is a structured pen outside under 100% supervision or simply doing more engagement indoors with the rabbit.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• DanaNM

Supervised time in a pen sounds like a great idea (with the disclaimer that if you’re in an area with RHDV2 you should get your bun vaccinated before allowing time outside). 🙂

• Cinnimon&Ollie
                  Participant
                  300 posts Send Private Message

My bunnies are both harness trained. I did it because they are very active and curious bunnies. They love it. I take them around the house only because of RHDV2. My bunnies are fine with a harness and it is safe for them because I trained them very slowly and carefully. They have H harnesses which would be the way do go because it put they least amount of pressure one the back if the bunnies was to pull. I also have a elastic leash which would be needed if you do harness train peanut for safety. It takes time and is not for all bunnies. You have to know your bunny, and then pick. Harnesses can be dangererous but so can a pen outside. A bird could swoop down and get her/him, Ticks, and fleas and still are problem. Sprayed grass is a big no and can kill bunnies, so whichever you pick don’t let your bunny on sprayed grass.

• Wick & Fable
                    5781 posts Send Private Message

Thank you C&O for highlighting that harnesses can indeed be less risky for particular rabbits paired with proper training. At the same time, we must always be vigilant for the exact dangers C&O mentions, like birds, ticks, and fleas.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• DanaNM

All very good points! I think some of the commenters in the threads I linked also mentioned that they only did harness work indoors as well.

• LBJ10
                        16898 posts Send Private Message

Some bunnies enjoy being in a pet stroller if you’re looking to go for a “walk”.

• Cinnimon&Ollie
                          Participant

If you do pet stroller make sure peanut doesn’t start making holes in the mesh… no escaping bunnies

• Cinnimon&Ollie
                            Participant

Just wondering what did you pick to do?

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Will my bun hurt itself on harness??