Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Will behaviors change after spay

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • Lemski
      Participant
      63 posts Send Private Message

Hi, newish bunny mum. My girl is 6 months and set to get fixed July 23rd. She has been digging at my couch. She lunges, growls, and gets aggressive when I try to stop her now (which is scary). She is also boxing when I try to get back in the cage. Will these behaviors change after she is spay? I keep reading she hit bunny puberty but it’s really hard to deal with. She is foster to adopt and I don’t want to give her back but I’m at my whits end.

• Louiethebunny
        Participant
        603 posts Send Private Message

Don’t worry, destructo bunny definitely comes out during bunny puberty. For now, you might just have to up the bunny proofing game, like putting blankets over the couch to prevent digging, and block off areas where shes destructive. After the spay her hormonal behavior will definitely calm down.

• jerseygirl
          22338 posts Send Private Message

The spay can certainly help settle these behaviours, absolutely. But keep in mind, it doesn’t always happen right away, and some may pop up again from time to time (like digging), although not as persistent.

My older, neutered male rabbit digs at the bed sometimes and this is normally when he is seeking my attention. He settles when I start petting him or even resting my hand on him. However, I don’t do it right away when he digs. I discourage that with a startling noise I make or I herd him off the bed. He always comes back up shortly after and I can see he’s preparing to dig or chew, so I’ll begin to pet him before he starts.

I suggest you block off your couch from her if you can manage it, and also give her a digging box where it is acceptable for her to dig. If blocking the couch is not an option, try identify a way you can stop her then redirect, without having to touch her and risk her getting aggressive. Maybe a loud  “UH-UH” as soon as she starts, or clapping quickly & loudly. Or making short raspberry noise with your mouth (this one works for my boy).

Are you able to use a high value treat to lure her to go back into cage? Does she only receive her food while in there?

• Lemski
            Participant

Thanks everyone! I have been using a spray bottle (it’s a must) and loud noises to get her off the couch when she starts digging.
              I started crinkling they treat bag when I want her to go back into the cage and holding a treat in the cage and it’s been working.

I think maybe some of the behaviors are for attention but the weird thing is she won’t let me pet her. She moves her Head or flinches….. I can’t tell if she doesn’t like being petted or maybe she doesn’t trust me? I’m not sure but I’m hoping after her hormones settle once she spay she’s a little more easy to read.

• LBJ10
              16869 posts Send Private Message

How is your hand approaching her head? Bunnies have a blind spot in front of their nose.

• Lemski
                Participant

I pet her head from above or slowly from the side. Every once in awhile when she lounging I’ll slowly approach and stroke her cheeks. But when she’s exploring she just isn’t into it and I know she’s supposed to approach me for pets.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Will behaviors change after spay