Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE Will be in over my head

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
    • Plumped Cuddly Bunnies
      Blocked
      103 posts Send Private Message

OK…. I wasn’t sure where to post this but I’m literally going to have over 20 bunnies on my hands and I’m going to need help to find them homes.

Here is what happened. I live in the UK. I rescued 3 rabbits, one male and two female which are both pregnant and I did not know they were pregnant so I think I’m going to be in over my head with lots of rabbits that are going to be hard to re-home. I really did not want to get the RSPCA involved because I know they have too many rabbits themselves. I was hoping to provide 3 rabbits with a forever home with me but now it looks like I’m going to have a lot more. I’m willing to keep two of the babies but the rest of the babies will have to go once they are 8 weeks old because I do not have the facilities or the space to keep that many rabbits.

My plan is to sell them online or give them away online but I have a feeling they will be hard to re-home.

What do I do? 😯

• DanaNM
        8935 posts Send Private Message

First of all, thank you for trying to help these rabbits!

I really think you should get the shelter and/or rescue involved. They may be able to work with you to help get them spayed and neutered, and placed into homes, with you involved as a foster for as many as you can keep temporarily. The rescue I volunteer with does things like this routinely when someone has a lot of rabbits they are trying to help. The danger of trying to give them away online is that they will likely end up as snake food or in very poor homes. 🙁 So yeah, I recommend asking for help!

The worst case would be you end up with additional accidental pregnancies because you have too many rabbits housed near each other, so working with the shelter can help you prevent that from happening!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Bam
          16877 posts Send Private Message

Thank you for trying to help these rabbits!

I agree with Dana, this is too much for one person to handle. You need help from professionals. There’s zero shame in asking for help in a situation like this. Your intentions have been good all along, and I’m sure the RSPCA (or other rescue organisation) will recognise this if you contact them and tell them the whole story just as you’ve done here.

• GlennTheLionhead
            Participant
            361 posts Send Private Message

Hey

Thank you for helping these bunnies!

I agree with the others about reaching out to a shelter or rescue establishment. Despite a lot of rescues and RSPCA being busy at the moment they are still the best option.

I am also UK based and the consensus of rabbit care here on a whole is generally poor unfortunately. By contacting a rescue they will ensure that the bunnies get the best care possible and live happy lives,  most rescues and shelters here will vet people based on a criteria for good care ensuring people meet minimum housing requirements, have finances for vet care,  companionship ect..  More details on the critera that UK rescues use can be found on the rabbit welafare association website https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

You can find rescues across the UK by searching the saveafluff webpage https://www.saveafluff.co.uk/rehome-rabbit

Good luck 😊

• Plumped Cuddly Bunnies
              Blocked

Thanks for your replies. The first thing I need to do is get the male neutered and wait for the females to give birth. I will contact some rescue centers in time to see what they can do.

• DanaNM

That sounds like a great plan! Giving them a heads-up before hand will help everyone prepare.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• LBJ10
                  16908 posts Send Private Message

This seems like the best solution. I’m sure they will agree to help if you say you can house them while they are looking for homes for them.

• Plumped Cuddly Bunnies
                    Blocked

How long does it take until a rabbit gives birth? One of the females is getting quite fat and is putting on weight but she isn’t building a nest or biting fur from her belly. I can’t feel any nipples on her belly either.

I’m getting a bit worried that she might not know she is pregnant or that she wont know how to look after her babies? or something else could be wrong. I thought she would be preparing by now.

• Wick & Fable
                      5781 posts Send Private Message

If she is pregnant, she knows she is pregnant. First-time moms can be “bad”, but they will still give birth as that is what their body is designed to do.

For a more detailed break-down on what to expect (and do) day to day, please see here: https://flashsplace.webs.com/accidentallitters.htm

You can find additional information on rabbit pregnancy here: https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Pregnant_rabbits

Please take the time to read through each resource thoroughly so you know what to truly expect and watch for.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Plumped Cuddly Bunnies
                        Blocked

She has started to make noises when ever I go near her so I think its a good indication that she is carrying some babies. I’m kinda excited about it  and wondering what colors she’ll have.

My limit was always going to be 4 rabbits but I could stretch to 5 and that is it. I’ll obviously be keeping the 3 I have plus two babies although its not decided whether I’ll be keeping just one of the babies or two… one thing is for sure and that’s the babies will have to be re-homed. I may decide just to keep one of the babies.

• DanaNM

Often with pregnant rabbits you won’t know anything until a few hours before they give birth, because they wait until right before to make the nest.

Important things are to provide a nest box and make sure she has plenty of food and water.

• Plumped Cuddly Bunnies
                            Blocked

I am very worried about the pregnancy thing I’m hoping none of them are going to have babies because its hard as it is trying to get the three I have vet treatment. Eventually “if not to late” the vet will be able to confirm if they are pregnant or not.

• LBJ10
                              16908 posts Send Private Message

Making noises doesn’t necessarily indicate anything. Hormonal bunnies will honk and make other noises. Boys and girls both.

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE Will be in over my head