Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Wild Cottontail

• This topic has 4sd replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by LBJ10.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • lilcottontail
      Participant
      5 posts Send Private Message

Hey guys. I have a wild Eastern Cottontail rescue. My dog tore up the nest and injured the mom in our backyard on July 4th 2020. She was days old. Eyes weren’t opened yet. We did a lot of research and formula fed her. Against all odds, she survived and is a beautiful, thriving,  adult cottontail now. We realized we could not release her at about 8 weeks when she didn’t seem to fear our dogs constant barking in the house. We built her a two story wood house and we have fencing around it. She lives indoors. She has a pretty good life for a wild cottontail. Cottontails are solitary so I don’t worry about her being lonely. My concern is getting her medical treatment if she ever needs it. Does anyone have resources for how to get care for a wild cottontail? We do have a wild animal rescue in my area and we would use them as a last resort. But the problem is we wouldn’t be able to get her back if we took her there.  They would treat and release her.  She has only been in the wild a few days as a newborn and would not survive in the wild. Any ideas or resources?

• Azerane
        4688 posts Send Private Message

In many states they aren’t legal to keep as pets so you may have trouble finding a vet willing to treat. In which case if she does need medical care, handing over to a rescue is really in her best interest so that she can get the treatment she needs. I’m not sure if they would release her due to how long she been in human care. If they did release her she would need to be acclimatised with a soft release first I would think.

• LBJ10
          16908 posts Send Private Message

Yes, it matters where you live. Many states do not allow wildlife to be kept as pets, including cottontails. Some other states do allow it… but these are the states that pretty much allow people to keep all kinds of exotic animals as well.

• lilcottontail
            Participant
            5 posts Send Private Message

Yes. Thanks for the responses. That is the tough situation I’m dealing with. I’m not sure it is legal in my state to have a wild cottontail. I’m not worried about “breaking the law” though. I didn’t go looking to take in a wild animal. She needed us and we did the loving thing for her. If that is a crime, so be it…. As I said in my original post, if she became ill or injured, I would hand her over to a wildlife rescue as a last resort if she needed urgent care. I’ve contacted a few rescues and one actually recommended a vet that might help if needed. That was promising. She is healthy and thriving. I just want to make sure I have a plan should we ever need it. It’s been scary knowing I can’t just take her to the vet like I can my dogs.

• LBJ10
              16908 posts Send Private Message

Of course you did a good thing! Unfortunately, that is just what the laws are in some states. There may be some vets that are willing to look the other way. The trick will be finding one. It sounds like you might have a lead, so that’s good.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Wild Cottontail