Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Why do my 2 fuzzy furballs seem to want to kill each other?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • hoops&yoyo
      Participant
      36 posts Send Private Message

My 2 five month old harlequins were spayed 3 weeks ago.  They are both female, littlermates born on January 27th.  Just prior to spaying they started to get mildy aggressive where Oreo (who is larger than the runt of the litter Rascal) would chase and try to  hump Rascal.  At one point Oreo did bite Rascal under the arm – no blood just torn skin.

I separated them by putting a divider in their enclosure, waited a few days, watched them and would release them for free time every day and when all seemed well I put them back together again.  I also separated them for 2 days after their spay surgery then removed the divider and all has been well until Thursday night. 

what seemed to begin as a mutual butt smelling session – sort of looked like bunny ying yang – nose to tail, moving in a circle, quickly escalated to a knock down drag out fight within seconds!  Fur was flying I ran to them and tried to pull them apart – they were locked onto each other – I finally separated them and picked up Oreo ( the larger one) and as I did she screamed!  I have heard the “bunny scream” described and was sure I never wanted to hear it – it was just awful!

They were both very hyper immediately after.  I called my daughter to come help me.  I set up the divider again in their enclosure and put Rascal in and examined Oreo closely.  She seemed exhausted and very calm as I examined her.  No injuries – so I put her on the other side of the enclosure and took out Rascal and examined her – again no injuries and she seemed exhausted as well after their little battle which lasted less than 1 minute but seemed like eternity. 

I kept them separated and tried letting them out for free time (including the distribution of treats) but they started acting aggressively toward each other again so I put them back in and just let one out at a time for a little while.

What is going on?  Is it just hormones?  Teen age bunny agnst? 

What is a good definition of bonded bunnies – ones who dont try to kill each other?  I’ve read many posts on this forum and am going to start alternating their sides of the enclosure.  Any and all suggestions would be helpful!

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

Are you putting them together in neutral territory? I think alternating the enclosures could help.

It’s hormones and teenage bunnies. This happens quite a bit even with siblings.

A good definition in my books of bonded is if 2 rabbits can coexist together in the same enclosure with no fighting. They don’t have to be lovey dovey or cuddlebuns together just able to tolerate and trust each other.

• Beka27
          Participant
          16016 posts Send Private Message

This is a really good article about bonding… http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/bond.shtml

The circling is a good sign to look for before a fight breaks out. You might try a water bottle set on stream to try and prevent a fight. You’d have to spray before the actual fight happens tho.

You wouldn’t necessarily have to start over from square one, but I think that some neutral or semi-neutral space is going to be important. They are still young and are considered “teenagers” until one year old. A little patience should help you get them back together.

• SirThumpsey
            Participant
            539 posts Send Private Message

So circling is a bad thing? Fully noted.

• jerseygirl
              22345 posts Send Private Message

They mightn’t have had a true bond to begin with. Well, a different sort of bond – just that they were litter mates and babies.  Now that the hormones arrived – everything changes. Even if they were bonded, sometimes the trip to the vet is enough to break the bond, then separation after the spay. I agree, some neutral territory bonding might help.

• ZooLady
                Participant
                65 posts Send Private Message

I’m not sure as to the cause of their aggression, but I can tell you what has been working to bond my two fighting rascals.

My two rabbits just wanted to kill each other upon meeting. So I have started housing them seperately in the same room–but also close enough to see and smell each other. I alternate their times out so each gets to establish their scent in the room. They are less and less aggressive everyday. Sometimes they even lie next to each other through the cage bars. Watch their outings the first few times, as they can still nip between cage bars. I put up obstructions (ex. small strips of cardboard) to prevent this.

• hoops&yoyo
                  Participant
                  36 posts Send Private Message

Things seem a little better these last few days – I have started switching their sides of their enclosure each day. I stressed them on Monday night – put them both in a box and put them on top of the washer on spin cycle. Then I brought them back up to their room and allowed them free time while i sat prepared with my spray water bottle. They both seemed very apprehensive around each other – but no skirmishes – just some thumping and running from each other. At one point they did lay down together approximately 8 inches away from each other. WHile they are out on free time I will cuddle one and get their scent all over my hands and then pick up the other one and do the same. I also have been shaking the papaya tablet bottle and they both come running – which seems to reinforce good things. Also – I have been putting their salads near to the cage divider so that they eat near each other and put the litter boxes at the far ends of each of the enclosures. All of this seems to be helping but I am diligent with the water bottle and will probably try another stress washer spin cycle this weekend. I can see why everyone says it takes a lot of patience – baby steps

• Sarita
                    Participant
                    18851 posts Send Private Message

Sounds like you are doing a great job and making some progress!

• bunnymama
                      Participant
                      161 posts Send Private Message

I’ve heard that siblings may not always like each other. After a spay I was advised to wait 4 weeks before trying to bond 2 females which never worked. I used a grease spatter screen with the long handle on it to separate them when they began to fight with a thick pair of gloves and it worked great. Don’t them circle and chase, separate them with a dust pan or spatter screen and redirect thier attention to a phone book or something or an empty box to climb only on top of (otherwise one will corner the other – not good). I have to say that after bonding male to female -that bond was love at first sight. That is how bonds should be or at least they should like and tolerate each other on first dates. My male was fighting with his brother at about 6 months and had to be separated. It sounds like you are doing a good job – just watch them closely when they are loose together. I would want to see a 24 hour period of no aggression or circling before thinking it was a done deal. Sounds like hormones have not calmed down yet and they are about teenagers too boot…..both stages stressful in my house…Hope it works out for you……just don’t try to force them to like each other – it may never happen and if you seen negative signs day after day after day…then give up for awhile and try again later….I went 3 1/2 months with every day being bad and didn’t know enough to stop =— my females do really hate each other…..but I do have a bonded pair which is the most precious, pure, innocent thing I’ve ever witnessed…..it will be worth if it.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Why do my 2 fuzzy furballs seem to want to kill each other?