Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Why are my bunnies eating their bedding?!?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • bunnylovep
      Participant
      16 posts Send Private Message

i bought my rabbits some cotton like bedding to put in their so the wire wouldn’t hurt their feet but they eat it instead! and when i put a litter box in there they kick everything out of it and then chew on the cornors of the litterbox! lol they r cute =)

but why r they doing this and how can i fix it?

• BinkyBunny
        8776 posts Send Private Message

You should get a box that has a lip or one that is covered to prevent litter from being kicked out. If they try and tip over their box, then you’ll want to get clamps and fasten it to the pen/cage.

Your bunnies look young and so they are just being young. Just like puppies can tear up furniture, and cats can scratch up stuff, bunnies can chew chew chew. Does the bedding have any perfumey smell. You may want to try different beddings to see what they will actually use, not chew. Do they really eat it, or do you find little pieces everywhere. IF they are eating it, then you want to watch their poops as this can cause health problems.

I find a cheap way to replace bedding is to go to a fabric store and buy yards of fabric – usually fleese like, flannel and/or some soft cotton.

Do they have any other chew toys to distract them? You can try and offer something that will keep them busy – like a cardboard toilet paper roll filled with hay. Put some pellets deep inside of the hay (inside of the roll) so they have to work at getting to it. This may help distract them from the bedding.

• bunnylovep
          Participant

i bought the bedding at walmart, its not perfumy or anything. they eat some of it, but mostly its just scattered everywhere lol

the toliet paper roll filled with hay is a really good idea! they do have an eatible log i got for them and they nibble on it sometimes, but nothing attracts them like that bedding! lol

• Kokaneeandkahlua
            Participant
            12067 posts Send Private Message

I think I know the bedding your talking about, It’s pretty much meant for hamsters to nest in…Are they on a wire floor? If they are you definitely want to provide something for their feet, and so they are comfy to lay down.

You could line the cage with some cardboard or choroplast (ask for at a home hardware type store) and/or you could give them a petbed…They make them for dogs and cats, they are just fabric beds like this :

I have a few, not as fancy, and some I made and my bunnies absolutely love them.Your bunnies are cute by the way-Welcome to binkybunny!

• bunnylovep
              Participant

aww thank you! i love my bunines! they are spoiled rotten right now! hehe they are running around the house right now.. licking my toes! lmao!!
                we had some odor controling bedding but they just kicked it out! lol. it is a wire cage and i am always putting something soft in there for their feet. i honestly would have never thought about a dog bed lol but they would like that pretty well!! so i may stop in town today and get them one =)

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Why are my bunnies eating their bedding?!?