Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A White Spot in Eye

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • Ivana
      Participant
      35 posts Send Private Message

Hi guys! Does someone have an idea of what this white spot might be?

• Bam
        16877 posts Send Private Message

A white spot in the eye can be a sign of e cuniculi, or of a bacterial infection such as pasteurella. A very good vet can sometimes do a fine needle aspiration to see if the spot contains bacteria. Not all vets can do this however.

How long has she has this for?

• Ivana
          Participant
          35 posts Send Private Message

She’s 2 years old now and i got her when she was 1 month old. I haven’t noticed this until she was 6 months old, but i think she was born with it?!

• Bam
            16877 posts Send Private Message

E cuniculi would be more plausible in that case. It is often transmitted from the mum to the fetus and in young rabbits it tends to manifest as clouding of the lense or white spots in the eyes.

EC is common in rabbits, but in the majority of carriers it never becomes symptomatic. It’s treatable with Panacur (fenbendazole), a slow-acting antiparasitic. The damage already done to the lense won’t be reversed though.

I’ll alert moderator LBJ to this thread, she knows more than I do about rabbit eye problems.

• Wick & Fable
              5781 posts Send Private Message

It can be a natural marking in Vienna-marked rabbits called partial heterochromia, which occurs in one or both eyes. In formal terms, the marking is blue; not white. You can see if it matches here: https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Vienna-marked_rabbits

Here’s an example:

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• LBJ10
                16908 posts Send Private Message

From what I can see, I will agree with Wick on this one. It looks like an “atypical” partial heterochromia, where there is just a little section of blue and the rest of the iris is brown. The gene responsible for this is called the Vienna gene. Two copies gives you a BEW. Only one copy produces a rabbit with varying degrees of white markings (sometimes called Dutch-like markings, but the Dutch gene is an entirely different gene) and blue eyes. Sometimes you’ll see partial heterochromia, where an eye will be half brown and half blue.

• Azerane
                  4688 posts Send Private Message

Luna has one of these. When I adopted her almost six years ago she had it and it stayed the same size for a long time. Eventually early last year when she did present with E. cuniculi the spot had grown quite substantially in size. I was told by my vet that the spots can be present in rabbits that are carrying E. cuniculi but not necessarily presenting with symptoms. Just something to be mindful of, keep a close eye on it and if you notice any changes with it at all then I would certainly be concerned about E.c.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A White Spot in Eye