Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING When to stop mounting?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    • Lykan
      Participant
      23 posts Send Private Message

Hi, all!

Tess and Gideon have been making a LOT of progress over the last couple weeks, and are getting pretty good at coexisting in their neighbouring cages now! I’ve started doing bunny dates with them, and there’s been no fighting at all, but there are some points where I wonder if I should call off the date. It usually goes like this: Tess is minding her business, often just wandering or munching near Giddy, when he starts following her around and trying to mount her. I know that chasing and mounting is pretty normal behaviour, but Tess seems to have a peculiar problem. She’s been flighty and head-shy since I got her — loves attention, regularly follows me around for treats when she thinks I have them, and even asks for pats pretty frequently, but when I reach for her she still steps out of reach (though she’s much calmer about it now; she’s getting friendlier for sure). I thought this behaviour was just towards me, but I’ve noticed that it seems to carry over to Giddy and his mounting. She puts her head down for him, stops to let him catch up, even lets him start to mount about half the time. But before he ever “gets in position” properly she bolts again and stops about a foot away. He’s tried mounting both ways and there has been no nipping but she seems to run out from under him every time. I don’t know if she wants him to stop or if she’s playing or something else, and it seems like Gideon doesn’t know either. Any idea what this could be or if there’s a “tell” for when/if I should stop them?

• DanaNM
        8935 posts Send Private Message

If the mounting doesn’t lead to fighting, then I think you should just let this play out. By her running away, she’s telling him that she will no let him mount. Eventually he’ll get the message that she wants to be groomed, not mounted!

I think this may actually be something to push through in longer sessions. My Bun Jovi is a mounter, and it didn’t really get better until much longer sessions. In longer sessions, adding a tunnel or a hide with at least 2 exits can help break up chasing and mounting interactions as well.

Some pairs also have some level of mounting in their bond. Bun Jovi will occasionally chase Myra around trying to mount her (especially in spring time), so I have some extra tunnels and hides so she can get a break from him if needed.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING When to stop mounting?