Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR When the bunnies got scared

• This topic has 3sd replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Bam.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • BunnyLass568
      Participant
      445 posts Send Private Message

So late last night early this morning I was giving the buns some hay before bed and I was talking to Blossom and she seen me and hid in her hidey-house well I went to give her hay and I scared her, badly. She ran all over and twisted/flipped and her running scared Thumper so he ran and it was a minute or two before they stopped. Well afterwards they were thumping and it was bad. I gently talked to them and then I left them alone for as long as I could, Thumper stopped but not Blossom. She continued but her thumping did get quiet especially after I gave them both some celery. Now I don’t want them to think that thumping=food everytime I just didn’t know what to do and I didn’t want them waking up my 18 (almost 19) month old nephew. I feel like Blossom’s trust in me is just about gone (although she did greet my feet and let me pet her), almost 3 years of hard work to gain her trust. How can I build that trust back up again? And if I accidentally scare them again what can I do to defuse the situation? And how can I help them calm down afterwards/calm them down if they start thumping?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Pets-Passed away: Hailey (9 years old, half rat terrier and miniature pincher, Feb-5-2019),Monster (13 years old, mixed breed, Lhasa Apso and some form of terrier, Sep-14-2020), Demon (14 year old Lhasa Apso, Aug-3-2022) Blossom (6 year old bunny breed(s) unknown, April-7-2024) Thumper (6 year old bunny breed(s) unknown, April-12-2024)💔💔💔💔

• RabbitPam
        11002 posts Send Private Message

I’m not sure this helps, but lately with bouts of insomnia I have gotten up in the wee hours in the dark. Spike will hear me or see my dark silhouette and get scared like that. He’s 6 and should know it’s only me, but….

So I have started VERY softly saying “Spike it’s only me don’t be scared it’s just me.” And from a distance until I see he’s fully awake if necessary and looks calm. Bunnies hear 10xBetter than humans so yours might be startled by your noise before you know it. You can try reassuring them in a low familiar voice before they feel you sneaking up on them. Then nose rubs can be your next move.

• DanaNM
          8930 posts Send Private Message

I doubt you undid any of your trust!

Bunnies can spook sometimes. It can be very hard and scary to watch, and sometimes hard to know what spooked them. Myra is somewhat prone to this, and one of my bridge bunnies Moose was also very easily spooked. I usually stop whatever I’m doing, sit down, and speak calmly to her. I don’t try to approach her to comfort her, because a scared bunny reverts to their instincts that everyone who isn’t a bunny could be a predator. Usually if I stay relaxed and kind of just go about my normal business she calms down pretty quickly. If it’s something outside that is scary, remaining calm will appeal to the bunnies social instincts that if the herd is calm, then things are probably OK.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Bam
            16871 posts Send Private Message

I completely agree with Pam and Dana. Rabbits spook easily, they’re hard-wired to do so. Even my bun who is of a very easy-going disposition, gets spooked sometimes. I acknowledge, but don’t approach physically. I talk to him softly, that generally does the trick.

You have not undone the trust they have in you. Once they have calmed down, you can give a few pellets or a small treat, if you wait several minutes after the thumping has subsided, they wont make the connection thumping = food.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR When the bunnies got scared