Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING When is it safe to move bunnies in together?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • AnnaK
      Participant
      3 posts Send Private Message

Hello, I’m new to the site and wondering if anyone can give me some advice.

I’ve been bonding our 2 year old spayed girl with our new boy, Coco (also 2 and neutered 10 weeks ago) for the last few days. After a lot of chasing and mounting from our male they have both settled down a lot and will happily groom each other, eat side by side, flop and snuggle together now. However we do still get bouts of chasing and mounting, especially in the evening.

I’m wondering whether I should now be thinking about moving them into their permanent living space together or if I should wait and see if the chasing/mounting subsides a bit more first?? Luna, our girl, doesn’t seem particularly bothered by it and usually just runs away but Coco often goes for her head which I’ve read can sometimes end badly…

Any advice gratefully received!

• DanaNM
        8901 posts Send Private Message

With only working with them a few days it sounds like you are moving quite quickly.

How long have they been together? Are you doing 24/7 bonding?

Chasing and mounting is not always bad, is it “i want to mount you” chasing with ears forward? Or aggressive chasing? Mounting is fine as long as it doesn’t lead to a fight.

The rule of thumb is that they should be have 48 hours of no fighting, no aggression and lots of positive behaviors (cuddling, sharing food, sharing litter box) in neutral space, then you can move them to semi-permanent and repeat, then to their final home (cleaned and deodorized as much as possible). If you don’t have semi-neutral space to work with, you can keep them in neutral a bit longer just to make sure they are really really bonded.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• AnnaK
          Participant

Thanks for your reply. I’m happy to say we now have a pair of bonded bunnies! The chasing got less and less and seemed to be more of a playful ‘you can’t catch me’ from our girl than anything. It got to the point where they both seemed so lonely and depressed when I separated them that it felt cruel so we bit the bullet and finally moved them in to their permanent home a couple of days ago. All going great so far, the only problem is they’re so loved up they just want to sit and snuggle all day so I’m having to try and lure them out for their exercise! Although it felt stressful at times, in hindsight it was actually a very quick and easy bond.

• DanaNM

Aww congrats! Yes it sounds like you had an easy time of it, glad to hear it!

Of course we would love some pictures of the snuggly buns!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• AnnaK
              Participant

Here they are all snuggled up – what a pair of posers! They’ve given me a fair few sleepless nights lately but it’s all worth it when we see them curled up together like this ❤

• DanaNM

I can’t see the pic, but congrats!

I love when bunnies just “click” together!

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING When is it safe to move bunnies in together?