Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE When can I start taking my new bunny places?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Mimzy
      Participant
      599 posts Send Private Message

I just got my new baby bunny yesterday around 4pm, & was a little nervous about the car ride but did pretty well, she didn’t seem too scared. She’s 8 weeks old, & I’m hoping to get her used to going places (not super frequently by any means…at least once a month?).

So I work at a pet store that is literally a 5 minute drive from my house & I’m off tomorrow. I was thinking about bringing her to the store with me tomorrow for a short trip, & by that time, she will have been home for a full 48 hours. She seems to have adjusted pretty well so far, she’s not been timid or skittish, & this morning I let her out of her cage for a couple hours & she was doing mini zoomies already. She seems pretty active & outgoing, so would a short trip to the pet store be ok? Or is it still too soon & be too stressful?

Also, here’s a few pictures of my new girl!! ^-^

• sarahthegemini
        Participant
        5584 posts Send Private Message

She’s beautiful ?

I would leave it for a couple of weeks tbh. It will allow her to develop some trust in you which might help it not be so scary. Is there a reason you want to be able to take her out and about? We do have bunnies here that go out and about regularly but for some rabbits, it would be too stressful.

• Mimzy
          Participant

I want to be able to do more things with her than I was able to with my past 2. Like if I want to take her out to get photos with Santa or in a pumpkin patch lol, it will be less scary of a thing to do if she’s already used to going places.

So in short, it will make mandatory car rides (like to the vet) or rides to get certain photo ops a little less stressful. Plus…there’s a chance I may be moving to Tennessee next year, & that will be SO helpful if she was a little more used to car rides xD Cuz that’s a long trip (with pitstops of course)

• Q8bunny
            Participant
            6345 posts Send Private Message

She’s an adorable floofnugget!

But please keep in mind that while there are super outgoing bunnies out there (therapy buns, Instagram celebrities, etc), it probably has a lot more to do with the bun’s personality than with the bun being conditioned to the activity.

Bunnies are prey animals. Which means that car rides and outings for cute photo ops are far from their natural behaviours. My little guy hates being picked up, held, and transported even after three years, even though I know that once we get to wherever we’re going (and we have been to the stores, to the cinema, to the beach or park), he’s very happy and outgoing, curious and friendly. But that’s unusual for a rabbit.

So my suggestion would be, give your little girl lots of time to get used to her new home and to YOU. Because right now, she does’t know you from a wedge of cheese. This way, you’ll be able to discover her true personality, and hopefully build a bond and some real trust. Eventually, build up to handling her (for grooming, nail trims, putting in carrier, etc). Then, if she’s ok with it, you can get her used to a safe harness etc.

By all means, photograph her as she grows more comfortable with all this, but the idea is to capture all the cute things she’ll do naturally, rather than forcing certain behaviours by way of a prematurely unnatural situation/place.

Hope that makes sense…

• Gordo and Janice
              Participant
              703 posts Send Private Message

@Q8bunny – “doesn’t know you from a wedge of cheese” – Lol

@Mimzy – no advice here, but she is so adorable. There is something about youth. Funny how big her back foot looks in that “Ole hat” picture. It looks enormous!

• Muj Mom N Bun
                Participant
                352 posts Send Private Message

I think she is absolutely a sweet beauty flooofy pooof! Now… I’m hardly any sort of expert… but I am going to agree with Q8, we need to be careful to understand rabbits are prey animals and they have very certain needs that usually need to be met for them to feel safe and secure with us and their surroundings. I feel that a pet store may have too many unsafe triggers for her… sounds of dogs barking, loud overhead speakers, bright lights, unfamiliar people, too much stimulation. This is just my opinion added in on top of what has also already been stated….she may be a baby now who may appear as if to be able to tolerate such circumstances… but you don’t know if in the long run maybe you are causing your bunnny to not build a solid trusting bond with you or her home.

• Mimzy
                  Participant

Those are fair points I will wait a while longer to try & take her anywhere. Definitely want her to trust me & feel safe with me. We’ll see how she does after some more time to adjust to her new home ^-^

• Q8bunny
                    Participant
                    6345 posts Send Private Message

Well, she is obviously loved, so I’m sure that given time, you two will build a wonderful bond.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE When can I start taking my new bunny places?