Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A When age is unknown…

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • mia
      Participant
      519 posts Send Private Message

How do you know when your bun needs senior services? For example, for senior care or I see there are senior supplements. Are there signs?

I have absolutely no clue about any of my buns’ age except a minimum age (time at shelther plus time with me). I was asked how old they act and I was totally confused. Are they supposed to act differently at different ages once they are adults? Are they still more hyper when they are younger adults? I remember the vet wrote 2-5 for one; is this due to reflexes or? One looks younger but I’m really just projecting when I say that – there’s white in between colors on the face which gives a more youthful look..

• LBJ10
        16869 posts Send Private Message

I think they look at their mouths, among other things. I don’t think there is a real way to tell 100% for sure. If you are worried about them needing supplements, I would say to just start giving them to them now. It can’t hurt anything and might help slow the progression of arthritis and stuff. You know, keep them springy before they start getting stiff.

• Stickerbunny
          Participant
          4128 posts Send Private Message

Vets can tell a rough guesstimate by the teeth. It is more a “baby, adult, senior” guess in a lot of cases but they can usually give a ball park. My vet thinks Powder was around four when we got him and he put Stickers at four to six months and given her growth since we got her, his guess seems about right with her. No way to tell with Powder since he is an adult, but probably somewhere around there given what we know of his history.

• CheriB603
            Participant
            422 posts Send Private Message

When they start going to the Early Bird dinner and telling you to turn down that crazy rock & roll music! :p

• Sarita
              Participant
              18851 posts Send Private Message

That’s funny Cheri :~)

Sometimes cloudy eyes can be an indication of age. Also toe nails. Not entirely sure of the teeth though, maybe some indication there.

What kind of supplements are you wanting to give?

• mia
                Participant

What age does “senior” start?

I have seen no signs to be concerned but maybe I’m just living in a bubble. Never had buns before so I don’t know what to look for / expect. Do they continue to do bunny 500 when they get older? I go to bunny meetups where I’m the only one with dwarfs and mine are the smallest, oldest, and most hyperactive.

Oh I just see that BB sells some for older buns and was wondering… It’d be nice if their fur turned white to give me a clue.

• Sarita
                  Participant

Well HRS says on their website over 6 years old on the diet page…but I’m seeing rabbits live to 12 or 13 years old so that would be more middle age in my opinion.

• Sarita
                    Participant

Here’s a good article I just found on HRS for Elderbuns:

rabbit.org/elderbuns/

• mia
                      Participant

Thanks for that link! They can get white hairs *shocked*!

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A When age is unknown…