Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A What’s a pre-existing condition?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • skunklionshow
      Participant
      1257 posts Send Private Message

I talked to the VPI rep this week about bunny insurance.  I didn’t want to give up too much info about Leo’s teeth b/c I didn’t want to get flagged for pre-existing conditions.  I will be speaking w/ my vet on Friday to get his vet as well…anyway…

The rep told me that preexisting conditions are not covered.  However, if he has a health issue and can go w/o issues for 6months it should be ok, but there is no guarantee.

So Leo has required pretty regular incisor trims & rear molar filing.  He hasn’t had any abcesses or teeth extractions yet.  However the vet told me that his teeth are a mess will be a chronic issue.  So my question to VPI was, well trims or filing can be common in rabbits, so what’s pre-existing really mean?  Is it based on which tooth/teeth require care, location of teeth, or what?  Also, if his incisors are continual problems, what if the vet thinks they should be removed…is that pre-existing?  She had some difficulty answering these questions.

I’d appreciate any input.  I’m also going to ask the vet on Fri when I take the cat in.  My primary motivation for the insurance is to cover his teeth probs.  I know that the in the long run, I’ll use it anyway, but I just wanted to be sure going in w/ what’s covered and what isn’t.

• Cadbury
        Participant
        161 posts Send Private Message

It’s so hard to decipher these things, plus each company has a different policy. I’m not sure how much help I can be, but I do know someone that has insurance on her horse. Her horse has had several problems with her left front leg – so the insurance “dropped” that particular part of her, and now anything that happens to that leg isn’t covered – but any problems with the other legs are covered. It’s bizarre. I’m not sure if it would be something similar for Leo’s teether or what. I’m surprised the insurance rep couldn’t answer your questions, though…

• Scarlet_Rose
          Participant
          4293 posts Send Private Message

I would say and also beleive that no, the teeth will not be covered and would be considered a pre-existing condition especially if the teeth needed to be extracted because of his current recurring condition with them. Rabbit teeth actually do not need to be trimmed all that regularly, although it can be a common condition for some breeds like Dutch rabbits. So I would expect it not to be covered and base your decision upon enrolling on that assumption and if they do need to be extracted, turn in a claim and see what they say. I know I would also rather want to know up front but it sounds like you plan on enrolling anyhow.

I did go to their web site, scroll down to #7, What is a pre-existing condition?

http://www.petinsurance.com/facts/faq.cfm?a=8532C766-A253-104C-F9162FD73E7EE6D8&b=8532C776-A11B-7212-A1C31BA05653A412&c=8532C786-0843-2119-795254A4A7C70601

• JK
            Participant
            2223 posts Send Private Message

I’m not an insurance expert by any means but it sounds a lot like human insurance. Once there is a diagnosis or condition in the records I think that’s a pre-existing condition and so many insurance companies won’t cover that. 

• KatnipCrzy
              Participant
              2981 posts Send Private Message

Insurance rules and regulations vary state by state- so is important to check for your circumstances.

When you sign up for pet insurance- at least in Michigan- you are allowing the insurance company access to your pets medical records- so any previous incidents will be noticed.

Also- routine things like nail trims and anal glands for dogs are NOT ever covered.  So I wonder if it might fall under that.

But I think if the rabbit got very ill- needed hosp and surgery to fix teeth and get back on his feet- a portion would be covered since it is an illess at that point.

Anyway- be sure call the company and check.  If you are nervous about indulging alot of info- call from a friends house use their info and present your bunnys case that way- and see what they say.

Julie

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A What’s a pre-existing condition?