Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE what type of hay is this?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • rach
      Participant
      9 posts Send Private Message

my bunny loves this specific hay. am not sure what type is this, does anyone know? (the packet says its a hay blend so i have no idea HAHA)

• Bam
        16836 posts Send Private Message

My guess would be legume hay (alfalfa, lucerne). It’s obviously not grass hay.

Does all the hay in the bag seem to be the same type? Horses are often fed a mix of alfalfa and grass hay. Alfalfa is high in protein and calcium. It’s too high in calcium to be good for adult buns, but it’s great for babies up till 7 months of age.

• Wick & Fable
          5770 posts Send Private Message

I will also add that since that’s more of a leafy hay, it may not be providing adequate fiber (I associate fiber with hard textured hays, though very leafy grass hays like orchard hay can still be great sources of fiber!). I agree with Bam that a diet too high in protein and calcium will not be good for an adult rabbit, but if you want to sprinkle a tiny bit of use those bits as treats, ensure that the majority is still a grass hay so your rabbit is getting enough fiber to maintain dental and gut health.

Perhaps your rabbit would like orchard hay since it is similar very leafy, but still a grass hay.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• rach
              Participant
              9 posts Send Private Message

theres a mix of different hay types, so im unsure of what type it is :<

• DanaNM
              8901 posts Send Private Message

Was that the dominant plant in the bag? It almost looks like mallow to me, which is an edible weed that buns can eat (and love). The presence of leafy weeds in hay isn’t a bad thing so long as most of the hay is still grass, as Wick mentioned.

I learned recently that having leafy weeds in hay also means that they hay wasn’t sprayed with herbicides (round-up), also a good thing! (Note that the absence of weeds does not mean that the hay WAS sprayed with roundup though!)

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• LBJ10
                16869 posts Send Private Message

Yes, it’s hard to tell when it is dried… but that does look like some kind of mallow to me as well.

Viewing 4 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE what type of hay is this?