Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A What to use for a bunny rug

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • osprey
      Participant
      2065 posts Send Private Message

Since Curly Sue’s bout with stasis, I have stopped letting our bunnies have their indoor/outdoor carpet to run on.  I am convinced that she ate some of the plastic fibers (I have seen her doing this) and that got her started on her tummy troubles.  We have hardwood floors in almost our entire house, with just a few small area rugs here and there.  Instead of the cheap rug, I have been spreading a tarp on the floor to give them a little traction, but it is major ugly.  I’d like to get some kind of floor covering that they can nibble and not get sick, that is not too expensive, and that I can hose off if it gets peed on, and hopefully that I can roll up and put away.  I looked at Jute and Seagrass rugs online, but they were pretty nice and pretty expensive.  Does anyone have any ideas?

• Firsttimer
        Participant
        144 posts Send Private Message

I’m afraid I have the same problem.  Although pepper doesn’t pee outside her cage she chews everything so I’m looking for something for our laminate flooring as well.

• Gravehearted
          Participant
          2428 posts Send Private Message

you can buy the strips of seagrass mats from cost plus. Each strip is about $10, I think. I cut up the strip and use squares to cover up spaces on the carpet where the buns seem interested in chopping the carpet.

I tend to stay away for pile carpets for the fibers, like you mention and have opted for rag rugs. My bunnies aren’t very interesting in eating them, but occasionally do chew a hole in them. I’ve picked them up at both target and ross.

• Scarlet_Rose
            Participant
            4293 posts Send Private Message

How about covering the tarp with a flanel sheet? I know that is out of the question with the whole house, but maybe just keep them to a penned in area with it and let them out for the occasional hop and pit stops on seagrass mats. Another idea is that there are some sea grass place mats (make sure there is no coating or dye) that could be used. Sometimes you can find big rolls of reed at the hardware store that is used for “fencing” too. Anyway, just a few ideas.

• skunklionshow
              Participant
              1257 posts Send Private Message

Ikea has pretty good prices on jute & seagrass rags.  I use the rag rugs as well.  They tend to be pretty cheap.  Leo likes to pull the weaves out, but he doesn’t eat them once he pulls them out . I also love to use towels.

• Lucy
                Participant
                370 posts Send Private Message

i use these cheap rugs you can get at target. They are loosely woven together from scrap cloth. I think that they are $3 a piece- and are machine washable.

I just moved into a new apartment, and have yet to give the bunnies free time- but I think I might buy a few more of these rugs so they can jump from rug to rug on the kitchen floor

• BinkyBunny
                  8776 posts Send Private Message

fujoethebunny – it’s good to see ya around! You’ve been missed! Hope all is going well in the new apartment and hope that fujoe hasn’t been redecorating it with his teeth.

• MooBunnay
                    Participant
                    3087 posts Send Private Message

I have been using carpet squares from Big Lots – they have pretty short fibers and are tightly woven, so my bunnies tend to chew on these only if they find the edge of the carpet. These are pretty easy to keep clean too, since the fibers are so short the hair doesn’t really get stuck into them, and the pee comes off pretty quick if I just spray some vinegar on it and blot it with a paper towel.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A What to use for a bunny rug