Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING What to expect?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • LittlePuffyTail
      18092 posts Send Private Message

I’ve been starting work on bonding. I will start a journal when we get a bit further along.

I have a question and, although it’s pretty vague, would appreciate input: What should you expect from a first meeting? I know not every bun is the same, some have “love at first sight”, etc but I’m just wondering because I had to intervene a lot with my hands during a bath tub meeting or there would have been some bunnies missing chunks. My bf said “just leave them alone, let them work it out”, but I can’t just let them bite each other!

• mrmac
        Participant
        2156 posts Send Private Message

Ignoring is good. If the bunny is relaxed enough to groom themselves or eat hay (though this could cause competition over food) that is good. I had Davey and Delilah who were that “love at first sight” and Delilah moved into Davey’s cage immediatly. Then I got Dexter, neither of them were particularly fond of him at first, especially Delilah. Nipping is ok, some tufts here and there are ok, but do not let them get to the point of latching onto each other or drawing blood. I had this experience with Delilah getting into Dennis’ pen and he is now missing some chunks. You might want to wear some gloves to break up fights, or the squirt bottle. They can be “left alone to work it out” to a certain extent, but do not let them latch on. Davey and Delilah, even though they are totally in love, have times where she gets too worked up and they will get into little circling, chasing nip tiffs, but usually work it out themselves. If it gets too intense (nipping, chasing, biting, etc) break them up but always end the session on a good note: mutual pets, eating a treat together (they may be to nervous to eat it though), holding both of them to your chest and petting them, etc. Some forced cuddling and mutual pets just to spread their scent directly onto the other bunny will help some. I would work one on one to start. Work with each pair, like I did Delilah and Dexter, Dexter and Davey paired sessions. I hope this helps some to start with!

• mrmac
          Participant
          2156 posts Send Private Message

Since you said that they already had some scuffles I would reccommend stress bonding: Dryer rides, car rides, the earthquake box (just them in a box while you sway or shake it a little), the bath tub with a towel and a little water in the bottom, shaking a bag of pop cans or bottle caps, the blow dryer, the sweeper, the shower head can be like rain, etc. The whole point is to get them to turn to each other for comfort. Stress bonding was key with my trio. Delilah is aggressive so I had to almost “scare” her into running to Dexter to hide.

• LittlePuffyTail

Thanks for the input!

• Deleted User
              Participant
              22064 posts Send Private Message

I think a first meeting should be uneventful, so I don’t allow any fur-pulling yet. That way they have a good start. Maybe you’d like to start off by just holding two of your rabbits on your lap and stroking them for twenty minutes and allow for scent transfer.

• LittlePuffyTail

Maybe I could try that, Petzy, but put them on a chair or something. None of my buns will sit on my lap. I’m going to try Olivia and Bindi for the first time, probably tonight, so I will try your idea.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING What to expect?