Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE What to buy!?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
    • Deleted User
      Participant
      22064 posts Send Private Message

My bunny is very, very, very picky with what he eats and how he eats it. He won’t even eat carrots!As any mother would be worried, I am too. Please, plaese, please tell me what to feed him!

1418253783071.gif

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

Welcome Lemon541.

Can you tell us what and how much you are currently feeding your bunny.

• Deleted User
          Participant

Well I feed him some greens like broccoli and kale and mint, about a leaf a day except for the mint, I give him about 2 leafs a day. And I also give him his Bunny Banquet which is full of all sorts of stuff like, dried bannanas and carrots(I don’t tell him about the carrots or else he won’t eat anything). I always keep his bowl full of food. And bye the way your pic. on the sides of your message look just like my bunny

• Sarita
            Participant

Oh, he’s a Dutch – they are great rabbits!

Also how old is your bunny?

Well, the first thing you need to try to do is wean him off the Bunny Banquet – I’m sure he loves this but it’s not good for him. He needs a good quality pellet without all the extra’s. I recommend you get him some good quality pellets like Oxbow or American Pet Diner and give him a limited amount.

Also are you feeding your bunny hay?

• Deleted User
              Participant

No he’s not a Dutch but a Mini-Rex amd he’s about 7-9 months old. And we can’t afford any of the other stuff because we need to save money to pay off the bills. We get our food good quality and fresh for a good amount of money. And the bunny banquet isn’t all sweet we have hay and other healthy stuff in there that is very good for him and he loves it. And you are also very right, I should give him limited amounts. I give him plenty of timothy hay

• Deleted User
                Participant

And Mini-Rex’s are great rabbits as well.They are extremely soft and perfect to cuddle with

• JK
                  Participant
                  2223 posts Send Private Message

First of all he needs to get good quality timothy based pellets, at least 2 cups of fresh greens, and unlimited timothy hay per day. A leaf or two is not nearly enough. I’m sure your bun loves that Bunny Banquet but it sounds unhealthy. Too many added ingredients that are not fresh and not healthy on a daily basis. He should be eating romaine lettuce, parsley, chard, mint and others. Kale and broccoli are ok in limited amounts. They are too high in calcium to be fed daily and also may cause some gas. Fruit and carrots should be fed sparingly, like a sliver every couple days. If you can’t afford to feed him properly you really cannot afford a rabbit! Has he been neutered? That’s a priority if he hasn’t. Bunnies are very expensive. Then there are vet bills. You really need to be more prepared financially should something happen. Please read some of the information under Bunny Info above. You will find almost everything you need to know. There is a Diet section that you should read for ideas. I’m sorry if I sound harsh but so many people have no idea what they are getting into with rabbits!

• Sarita
                    Participant

yes, I’m very familiar with rexes and mini-rexes, they are very soft rabbits.

Good quality pellets from Oxbow and American Pet Diner are just as cost effective too as the Bunny Bouquet stuff without all the extra added stuff that is not good for rabbits.

It’s good that you provide hay – this should be unlimited in his diet and make a majority of it.

Rexes do have a tendency to gain weight very easily – something about that breed – I have a rex as well and she can tend to be chunky so I really suggest that you get those timothy pellets (minus the extra added goodies) and feed those in measured amounts along with the timothy hay and fresh greens like lettuces (except iceberg), cilantro, parsleys, kale, etc…

• Deleted User
                      Participant

I’ve posted another forum on this subject

• Beka27
                        Participant
                        16016 posts Send Private Message

rex rabbits are also very very prone to sore hocks. being overweight makes this condition even worse. you’ll want to watch for that as they can become infected and even abscess.

• Lion_Lop_Lover
                          Participant
                          971 posts Send Private Message

Lemon – whether you like it or not, you will get the best advice for your rabbit on this forum. You have to be open to receiving information contrary to what you’ve been practicing. We’re not attacking you, rabbits are not simple creatures and they can’t survive healthily on a lot of “box store” recommended feeds.

You can take it to another forum, sure, and yeah maybe someone will say it’s fine because they buy the same food; but trust me, this forum has some of THE BEST rabbit people in the world on it.

The information you receive here is truthful and helpful.

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE What to buy!?