Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE What kind of pellets should I give?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • HareIvoryWhiskers
      Participant
      38 posts Send Private Message

My rabbits are 5 years old and a tad over weight. I’ve been wondering what I should give my rabbits pellet wise because of their age and weight. I’ve been giving the Kaytee Forti-Diet since that’s the kind my step mom picks up. I heard that Kaytee isn’t so great so I would like to know what kind of pellets could be better for a good price.

• Bam
        16835 posts Send Private Message

What I do is read the macro nutritional-values list on the package. I also read the ingredients-list, but the that only says so much, because feed companies mix the ingredients to fit the desired nutritional values. You dont get any info on the micro-nutrients though, because that’s not legally required.

The pellets I am using for my adult mini rex (a breed that’s prone to putting on weight) have these specifics:

It’s not a brand you get in the USA, but you can most likely find sth with similar nutritional contents. 20% crude fiber is considered a (good) minimum though, if you can get higher than that, it’s great.

The bulk of an adult rabbit’s diet should always be hay, as I’m sure you know. Hay is a lot more important than pellets or greens. It’s good to serve a variety of hays,  because hays are not uniform. Hays vary not only by grass type, the nutritional contents also depend on when in the season the hay was cut, how much sun it got, the soil it grew in, the drying process and storage.

Pretty much any hay that horses eat, (except alfalfa, alfalfa is great for baby buns but too rich in protein and calcium for healthy adult buns) is good for buns.

• HareIvoryWhiskers
            Participant

Thank you so much! That helps a lot.

• DanaNM
            8901 posts Send Private Message

It could be more an issue with amount over pellet type. If you check out this pellet comparison chart it can help you compare brands: https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Rabbit_pellets_comparison_charts

How much pellets are you feeding each day? At age 5 they really don’t need very many pellets at all. At one point I had an adult/senior bun that was overweight and the vet had me cut out pellets entirely.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• HareIvoryWhiskers
                Participant

So sorry for the late reply. My email never updated me that I had notifications. Weird. I feed 1/8 cup of pellets every morning.

• Bam
                16835 posts Send Private Message

1/8 cup 2 tbl spoons) is a suitable amount for a 2 kilo (4 lb) bun, but if your bun is a little bit chubby you could lower it to 1 or 1.5 tablespoons and give half the daily amount in the morning and half in the evening.

• BZOO
                  Participant
                  327 posts Send Private Message

Many good brands.  Just avoid ones with fillers (corn, wheat, soy, etc.). And the types with all the “goodies”.

Also, it’s surprising how many pet foods contain sugar…why?  Obviously those aren’t good at all.

• Cinnimon&Ollie
                    Participant
                    300 posts Send Private Message

I wanted to add a few good brands to help you look.
                      – Sherwood ( what I feed my bunnies )

– oxbow

– small pet select

These are just a few and there are many more. Maybe talk to your vet about what they think would be best. Also what hay are you you feeding him/her alfalfa and oat? Those are linked to weight gain in adult rabbits.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE What kind of pellets should I give?