Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A What is this scab/red mark? Pics attached

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • clop
      Participant
      51 posts Send Private Message

Hi!

Does anyone know what this is?  I first noticed it when Buns first arrived.  I saw what looked like dandruff on his shoulder, and I felt around, and felt a hard patch of skin.  This area is smaller than a dime, it’s in between his shoulder blades, more towards the right.  It’s red, but not bloody, and it looks to be crusty.  When I was at the vet I forgot to ask, but she did do a regular check up, checked his ears etc…Today I saw another smattering of dandruff/skin, and I’m not sure if the red patch has gotten bigger.  Is this something I need to take him to the vet immediately?  Or is it a scar/scab that’s healing from before?

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Thank you so much for your help!

eta: I’ve been googling, does he have fur mites?  err if he does, what is the treatment?  He’s been running around our room – does our room need to be treated?

1111851761471.jpg
        1111851794354.jpg

• BinkyBunny
        8776 posts Send Private Message

This could be fur mites. I don’t know what ring worm looks like, but either way, both can be treated easily enough by your vet – usually through topical treatments or injections.  

If it is fur mites, at this stage it is not an emergency, but you will want to make an appointment to get this checked out very soon. because of course you want will want to clean the bedding, etc, and all of that would be pointless if your bunny isn’t being treated.  Do you have other animals? If I remember correctly, my understanding is ear mites are not transferrable from rabbits to other animals vice-versa, but fur mites can be.

Keep us updated.

• clop
          Participant

Hi BinkyBunny!

Thanks for your response. Oh Boy fur mites? or ring worm? I’ve made an appointment with the vet today. Hopefully this’ll get treated quickly. I am concerned about cleaning the environment – he’s been all over the carpet, and plays under our bed. For mites I’ve read that you’re not supposed to steam clean the carpets, but for ring worn you are. I’m not sure how to clean the underside of the bed (under the boxspring there’s cloth covering it, and his body/back come into contact with it when he’s underneath). oh boy. It looks like his treatment is the easy part!

• Sarita
            Participant
            18851 posts Send Private Message

The vet should be able to advise you too on cleaning the area and what is recommended. If it fur mites he will probably do a skin scraping to determine if that is what it is.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
              Participant
              12067 posts Send Private Message

Here’s some pics of fur mites (gross but not too bad)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1380/1108549488_8684cdf5b2_m.jpg

http://www.qrabbit.com/images/furmites.JPG

Ringworm on a guine pig

http://webzoom.freewebs.com/bunnyrescue/fungal%20infection.jpg

To me it looks like a bite mark, could be from where she was before you got her? I’d put some polysporin/neosporin on it and make a vet appointment.

• dmh426
                Participant
                433 posts Send Private Message

bunny could just be chewing at himself. it happens sometimes when they overgroom. if it were fur mites, there would be more than one area on his body. did you notice any other areas?

• clop
                  Participant

Hi Sarita, Kokaneeandkahlua, dmh426, Thanks for your replies!

I’m back from the vet, and Buns does have fur mites.  I also thought it was a bite mark from earlier, or self inflicted, as it was only a small area, and it didn’t seem to be bothering him, nor look as bad as the pictures ew!  I’m glad I did get it checked out. 

The vet did a tape sticky and skin scraping, and there were mites.  She said to vacuum and wash all bedding.  She said flea powders for the carpet etc might not be necessary.  Though she did say if I could to spray under the bed.  Buns was given a shot of ivermectin, and I have a dose to administer orally.  In 20 days, he will have a checkup, and a third dose if needed. 

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Rabbits-703/fur-mite-infestation.htm has the following:

“steam cleaning and water above 140 degrees can do a pretty solid job of getting rid of them.  Hepa vacs can pick up a lot as well.  regular deep vacuuming will help.  Getting up all the old rabbit fur will deprive them of what they like to live on.  They generally do not like to be on humans (no fur) or what we wear.  Wash what you can in the 140 degree water.  If you have a carpet steam cleaner get the solution for allergens/dust mites.  This water gets really hot and will help kill off the fur mites.

Mainly they will be on rabbit areas.  Clean areas well with a vinegar solution (50/50 water).  Doesn’t have to be hot.  Clean ALL surfaces.  You can put some vinegar into the 140 degree wash too, a cup or 2.”

My question is this, is vacuuming/washing enough?  I don’t have access to a hepa vac, and I read elsewhere a steam cleaning would actually be good for the eggs, so it was not advised.  We currently have additional guests with us, and it isn’t terribly convenient to fumigate/clean the room with chemicals.  (nowhere for the bunny or I to move to).  If the mites can only survive off the host for a few days, can I wait until they all die off?  If any mites get on the bunny, as long as he’s on medicine, they should eventually die right? 

Thanks for everyone’s help!

• KatnipCrzy
                    Participant
                    2981 posts Send Private Message

Did the vet give you the name of the mites?  Did she scrape the skin or use scotch tape to get a sample?  Does Cheyletiella sound familiar? pronounced – Kyla T Ella (that is as close as I can figure to describe how to pronounce).  Just curious so I can make sure I am recommending best way to treat the environment. 

Also, I am not sure where you got your bunny- but you should tell whomever you got your bunny from that he was diagnosed with this.  The breeder, shelter, rescue, or former owner may not care- but at least they will be informed.  As long as you make it clear that you are not angry but concerned for their other pets that could possibly have this, most people are willing to listen.  If you got the bunny from a breeder they might be worried that you want them to pay for treatment, etc- but depending on how much you paid for him and their “professional” attitude that might be unlikely-  but you can specify that you are not looking for money from them and you are only passing along a warning from your vet that he could have been exposed there, etc….  I know a phone call like this could be uncomfortable to make, but I would hate to see other rabbits or pets suffer.

• clop
                      Participant

Hi KatnipCrzy,

The Vet did both – scraped the skin, and used scotch tape.  She came back into the room and said, “yes, I see mites.”  No scientific name was given.  I should have asked specifically.  I will call first thing tomorrow.  I am very relieved we know what it is, and Buns’s treatment is fairly easy.  I am most anxious about the treatment (environment), as I’m afraid if I don’t treat correctly, that he will be reinfested etc.  A friend said not to vacuum for now if I don’t have a special deep cleaning vacuum or one with a hepa filter, because then the eggs/mites will just get redistributed.  I also don’t know how often I should wash his bedding – should I take away all bedding until his treatment is finished?  Should he be confined to his cage?  Do I need to wash everything that’s come in contact with him?  All my clothes?  I read that clothes need to be washed at 140 F, if I have sweaters that will shrink, my dry cleaning bill will be huge.  In any case, sorry for the ravings, those are all the thoughts in my head right now.  I was so glad he was diagnosed, I didn’t go into great detail at the vet. 

That is a great idea, very responsible – I was going to call them first thing tomorrow morning.  When I came home from the vet, I was thinking about that SATC episode where Miranda had to call up all her past partners and let them know what she had contracted Not that fur mites should have negative connotations or anything of course.  The vet said she was glad I caught this early, it was so small, she said the other day she saw another rabbit who had mites for 2 years, and all the hair on their back was gone.  Poor bun, I’m glad he’s finally getting treatment!

• clop
                        Participant

Hi!  It is Cheyletiella, confirmed by vet.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A What is this scab/red mark? Pics attached