Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR What else can I do

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Lemski
      Participant
      63 posts Send Private Message

Let me start off by saying I know all buns have unique personalities and I respect that. I have a bonded pair I myself bonded last fall. I had the female first for several months. I sat with her,  hand fed, and played with daily. She never came around to me. Always flicking her feet at me when she hopped away and wouldn’t let me pet her. We decided to get her a buddy. The male is very friendly loves pets and interacting with me and my family. He use to hang out with us on the couch etc. after they were bonded he didn’t hang with us as much on the couch because he would go back in the pen to lay with his mate- totally fine. The female hasn’t come around. I still sit on the floor to hand feed, play and give treats. It’s been about a year and I’m not sure why she isn’t comfortable. I wouldn’t mind the not letting us pet her but the feet flicking is kind of hurting my feelings lol I have no clue what im doing wrong. I’ve had other rabbits it took awhile to build a bond but never this long but this is also my first pair. What else can I do to help bond with her? Im wondering if she is just a bun who doesn’t like people. She will come out and play, take treats from me and my kid but doesn’t seem to like us haha any advice or similar experiences welcome.

• DanaNM
        8930 posts Send Private Message

Hmmm, some buns do seem a bit antisocial, and others can take a really long time to open up. Can you describe their housing set up and their daily routine in a bit more detail?  How do you deal with cleaning their area? How often do you handle them? Some buns can be very particular about their housing and will be annoyed if anyone messes with “their stuff”, so wondering if maybe that’s contributing.

I’ve honestly had the best luck with playing hard to get. It sounds counter productive, but try ignoring them (or at least pretending to). Sometimes when we keep trying to pet and they aren’t into it it sets things back.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Lemski
            Participant

They have a puppy exercise pen. They have two litter boxes and a hide house in the corner. Lots of toys, a standing hay rack, and one above one litter box. We have a piece of ply wood under the pen with a reusable puppy pad under neither incase of off the side litter box accidents.
              Daily routine is breakfast in the morning. I have been sitting with them now for a few minutes. If I fed them I open the cage door but if my hubby does he opens the top and puts the bowl in. No sitting. We refill the water

My hubby has been cleaning the bottom of the cage with a wet paper towel because there is so much hair from her. She sheds all year round.

I don’t pick them up unless I have to. They are good about coming when called or I shake a treat bag. I do pick them up for nail trimmings but that’s really it. They both hate those and she thumps after but they get a treat after.

we let them out in the evenings for a few hours. Sometimes I’ll sit the whole time and sometimes I don’t. My daughter loves to sit and play with them. She will put treats in stackable cups, a forage mat, and have them do “tricks” like say up and hold the treat high them give it to them.

im not sure how to clean the cage in a way they would like. If I clean it I will open the door and lay on the floor to wipe up the hair. My husband climbs in the cage so he’s fully in there. I’m guessing they don’t like that especially her.

I’ll try playing hard to get more. It’s hard since we’ve had her a year. I keep thinking maybe she warmed up because she will come up to us. I have been slowing trying ti stroke her when she’s eating and that has been going better. I’ve even brushed her the past few days when she’s eating.

• Lemski
            Participant

We also let them out weekend mornings. I’ve been off work and also letting them out in the morning but I will return to work soon so that won’t last

• LBJ10
              16899 posts Send Private Message

You could try asking permission to “groom” her. Sit on the floor and ignore them. Let her come to you. Slowly set your hand on the floor in front of her with your hand in the loose fist. Essentially, you are trying to mimic a rabbit head. If she is receptive, she will put her head down and accept the offer. Some bunnies prefer to be pet on the head only, like on their forehead between their eyes.

• Lemski
                  Participant

Thank you! I will try this.

Viewing 3 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR What else can I do