Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR What does this mean

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • Deleted User
      Participant
      22064 posts Send Private Message

With all of connors pooping problems, I am checking his rear much better for stuck on poop. Well when I was rubbing my fingers through the part above the tail on the lower back, he started to lick my other hand. I stoped and he stoped. So I did this many different times over the past few days, and he licks every single time. I stoped putting my hand infront of him so he licks what ever is there, Litter box, my pants and even my book. I am wondering if this feels good for him and he is showing me a sign of affection, or if (remember he was attacked as a bunny and had broken his back) this is a sore and tender spot and he is licking to tell me that it hurts. Any ideas?

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

My rabbit Mango does this too when I scratch his rear – he starts licking himself and it cracks me up. I think either he must like it or it tickles him. The vet probably would have found a tender or sore spot during her exam so I think it’s just a pleasant reaction.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
          Participant
          12067 posts Send Private Message

As Sarita says, this is likely a happy thing…Bunnies tend to bite or box or flee if they don’t like something…They would probobly NEVER lick if you were hurting them!

• Scarlet_Rose
            Participant
            4293 posts Send Private Message

Does he lick anything with your scent on it? Normally pain is masked with quiet and lethargy and/or grinding of teeth (not to be confused with the utter contentment movement of a slow chewing motion) so I don’t think that is it. He may just be content. Do you know with the broken back and all if he has all the feeling back there that other bunnies do?

• BinkyBunny
              8776 posts Send Private Message

When I rub the hind quarters of my bunnies or if I rub their ears, they also begin licking. I think it is a reflex for “group grooming”

• wendyzski
                Participant
                1312 posts Send Private Message

Pepper has a "secret spot" behind her ears that, if you pet/scritch it, she licks.  She will lick the surface she is on, or her own front paws.

• Scarlet_Rose
                  Participant
                  4293 posts Send Private Message

Hmm, that’s really interesting. I haven’t noticed that with my two.

• skunklionshow
                    Participant
                    1257 posts Send Private Message

Animals w/ tails…have plenty of nerve endings near the spine & or where the tail extends from the spine.  Its almost like a natural reaction, like a reflex.  You can test this from the tail up the spine to find where this reflex ends.  There is actually a name for this reflex…but I can’t remember it.  I call it the non-medical term, sweet spot.  My Phoebe cat is especially sensitive to this almost up to her neck.

• dmh426
                      Participant
                      433 posts Send Private Message

your grooming him, so he’s grooming you back as if to say “yay! thanks! that’s the spot!” it’s their way of showing affection.

• Deleted User
                        Participant
                        22064 posts Send Private Message

I like that dmh426. We had a dog who when ever you would scratch the middle of her back just above the tail she would start to thump her leg. Her face would get all happy and she would practically melt. We called that the secret doggie itchy spot. This is just about the same spot on Connor. He has now tried to turn around and lick the hand doing the scratching. Can’t bend quite right and usually just falls over.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR What does this mean