Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS What Do You Use For Litter In Your Litter Box?

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
    • Subliminally_Twisted
      Participant
      2 posts Send Private Message

Hey!

I’m finally getting a bun this Thursday and I’m making preperations for my new son (I’m going to treat him like he is my son at least).

My question is, what kind of ‘litter’ do y’all use? I thought about just using newspaper but I feel like that would get gross real quick. Any suggestions appreciated!

• Bunny House
        Participant
        1241 posts Send Private Message

Hi and congrats! There are many topics on this forum about it. Many use different kinds like paper, news paper and kiln dried pine pellets( never ever use shavings)

I suggest you read BUNNY INFO on this website for info on sickness they can get and other good info for first time bun owners.

• sarahthegemini
          Participant
          5584 posts Send Private Message

I use wood pelleted cat litter (non clumping) and it works great. If you can get wood stove pellets, they’re fine too.

I wouldn’t use newspaper. I tried using newspaper (with a grated litter tray) the paper just didn’t soak up enough and smelt within a few hours.

• LittlePuffyTail
            18092 posts Send Private Message

I use Yesterday’s News pressed paper pellets. Been using it for over 15 years. Great stuff but can be a bit pricey.

• BingosDad
              Participant
              20 posts Send Private Message

I always went to Orschelin’s Farm Supply store (in U.S.) and bought huge bags of pellets meant for putting down in horse stalls. It’s cheap and safe and works great.

• Boing
                Participant
                253 posts Send Private Message

Carefresh!

• TaunTaun
                  Participant
                  4 posts Send Private Message

I switched to wood pellets for horse stalls. Other bedding would stick in my angoras’ fur. I get it from tractor supply for only 5 or 6 dollars for a 40lb bag. A similar size bag of care fresh is $20. My rabbits kept digging in it and making a mess, so I now use litter boxes with grates on top and it works great. Also you don’t need to use as much litter that way. You can make grates for litter boxes out of hardware cloth.

• Lemonsoup
                    Participant
                    72 posts Send Private Message

Definitely don’t use newspaper – it stinks almost straight away. I’ve used paper litter previously and found it smells pretty quickly too. The best one I’ve come across is the wood pellets for cats. We’ve got a brand in Australia called Catmate that is excellent. I also have a grate on my litter box for Teddy as he’s an Angora so litter sticks in his wool if he sits in it directly.

Best wishes with your new ‘son’ – bunnies are divine!

• bbbunzo
                      Participant
                      92 posts Send Private Message

My bun is my baby too! We just switched from puppy pads to a litter pan with wood pellets (kiln dried horse stall pellets from Tractor Supply, about $6 for 40lbs). I was told Feline Pine is the same thing, but it is a ton more expensive. Good luck with the new bun! Sounds like he will be lucky to have you

• LuigiTheBunny
                        Participant
                        13 posts Send Private Message

I use Carefresh myself, but I agree that it’s quite pricey, and I’ve heard that wood pellets (not shavings) are better/best. So I’d go with that if your bunny’s litter box is separate from her cage. Mine uses the whole of his cage as his litter box as well, although just one corner of it, so Carefresh or something similar is a better option for me.

• Q8bunny
                          Participant
                          6345 posts Send Private Message

My bun likes to launch himself in and out of boxes, AND has a long skirt (he’s a lionhead) so we can’t use litter that scatters. We put a puppy pee pad and then hay on top. Works really well

• Coco
                            Participant
                            78 posts Send Private Message

My bun has a plastic letter tray litter box. I put a sheet of newspaper under a small puppy pad that I cut in half. The newspaper catches any overflow of urine. The pad catches 95% or more. She always goes to the left side, so normally I can just flip it to the right side and change it later in the evening instead of early in the morning.
                              A 24 bag of puppy pads turn into 48, plus the turning from left to right turns it into more like 72!

• Coco
                              Participant

Also, her hay bin is above her litter box, so I don’t put any inside her litter box. She eats her hay from the bin while she does her biz. Never understood why to put hay in the litter box?

• Q8bunny
                                Participant

Hay in the litterbox is often for two main reasons: it keeps bun feet drier and more comfortable, and most importantly (like water bowls vs bottles) it’s more natural physically for a bun to forage and graze head down, rather than reaching for his hay (which does put a certain amount of strain on neck and shoulders).

• Coco
                                  Participant

So it’s okay that they eat hay that they potty in? I change the box everyday, but still seems an odd way to snack.

• Q8bunny
                                    Participant

It’s fine. Buns have bunny preferences. They love their own scent. And generally, they’ll eat from one side and toilet in the other – some, more adventurous buns, will sometimes nibble hay from the toilet side too, but it won’t harm them as long as their box is freshened up regularly (I clean mine out once a day too, now that Chewie only has one box instead of three).

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS What Do You Use For Litter In Your Litter Box?