Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR what do i fo when he starts hitting me with his front paws

• This topic has 17sd replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 16 years ago by Hedi.
Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
    • commander_BunBun
      Participant
      31 posts Send Private Message

His water dish was empty so i reached in to get it out and out of nowhere he came hoping in and attacked my hand, its all covered in bloody scratches, sumthing has to be done cause if this keeps up, i dont want him ne more. We have scheduled an appointment to the vet for his neuter n thursday, and if he is still like this after im going to be really upset and have no choice but to get rid of him, cause i cant give him ne fresh water, its easy with his hay cause its right there so i can just drop it into his container. Any suggestions?

• bunnytowne
        Participant
        7537 posts Send Private Message

rabbits are territorial. if he needs water or cage cleaning wait til he is outside of his cage. then you can do what needs be done. also the spay will definitely help. if he keeps up after healing from spay take your hand over his head and neck area and hold him down til he stops struggling with soem buns this works too. but wait til he is all healed up first. are you new to bunnies? normally they don’t bite that bad but mine started boxing growling and biting not to draw blood but it did hurt so I started waiting til he was outside his cage and tended to his needs that way. it worked out fine that way. wait a month after his neuter cuz it takes a while for the hormones to leave the buns  4-8 weeks somewhere in there.

• babybunsmum
          Participant
          3896 posts Send Private Message

ouch!  thats not fun.  i really think the neuter will help with this, so its great that you’re going ahead with it very soon. 

rabbits can be very protective of their space.  an old cage i once used long ago for my bun had a terrible set-up because i had to reach in through the only door (on the side) to clean the cage or to get at my buns water dish.  i had to approach really slowly with my hand low to let bun sniff me first, then give a little head pet before i could reach in there when bun was nearby.  you might try this too.  also its better if you approach from the side instead of from above (not sure what your setup is like)  because – being prey animals – rabbits are threatened by things coming at them from above.  if you have to reach down it may be less threatening if you pause for a sec, say what you’re about to do outloud (or say anything… a greeting or whatever) just to let bun know you’re coming.

• LittlePuffyTail
            18092 posts Send Private Message

Stormy does this too but only when I try to pick him up and if I put my hands in his cardboard box. However he usually doesn’t make me bleed. My lop will do it if I scoop his poop while he is in the cage.

When you bring him to the vet get them to clip his nails, if they are not as sharp he can’t do as much damage.

Please try to take the advice of the others and work things out with him. It’s not fair to give him up because of his natural prey animal instincts.

• Beka27
              Participant
              16016 posts Send Private Message

ouch.  that hurts.  Meadow bit me a few times really bad before her spay.  she was much better afterwards.  some buns will always be territorial of their space, even after altering, so like was suggested, try to do your cleaning and watering/feeding when he’s out having run time.  that’s great you have him all set to be neutered.  you really are doing the best thing for you and him.  let us know how it goes.

• Deleted User
                Participant
                22064 posts Send Private Message

Shadow’s neuter has done wonders for his pooping and pee wars with the cats, but his boxing and growling have not decreased. In fact I see it more now than before. It is always random and usually when I am stopping him from doing something he wants to do.

I apply my hand to the back of his neck and press down so he knows he was doing something unacceptable. His nipping is more for attention. He loves to tug on the cuff of your pants to get rubbies. Hopefully you are actually wearing pants when he does that!

• commander_BunBun
                  Participant
                  31 posts Send Private Message

He doesnt bite me, he just like lunges with his front paws and growls, it really does hurt cause he is drawing blood, and my hand is covered in scratches, and i just really want him to stop, thanks for ur help, i kno he doesnt like when i scoop his poop either. And he has this blankey that hes been humping…lol,

• Beka27
                    Participant
                    16016 posts Send Private Message

still… be careful. biting may be next. as was said, see if they’ll trim his nails during the surgery.

• Staja
                      Participant
                      59 posts Send Private Message

As others have said, it’s more than likely a combination of hormones and being territorial. I think it’s hilarious when Warren tries to box me. He’s got tiny T. Rex paws. He only seemes to do it to me, if I’m sticking my hands over the sides of his run. He has no problems with me opening it up, and sitting on the floor with him. He also has no problems with me laying on the floor, half in his cage to clean. He just likes to stand on my back, looking over my shoulder to make sure I’m doing it right.

Does your bun drink out of a water crock or bottle? The bottle may help, in that you can fill it without putting your hands in his cage. Warren has a crock now (but he’s so excited about food and water, he just stands on his hind legs waiting for me to feed him), and I just pour the water refills in through the bars of his cage. I wash the bowl every couple of days when I clean his cage and run.

I wish you luck with your bun, and please remember that it can take up to a month for the hormones to wane after a neuter – his problems may not disappear overnight. It Warren about 3 weeks to stop humping my hand everytime I gave him food

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                        Participant
                        12067 posts Send Private Message

I got boxed for the first time at volunteering last night…I put my hand in to say hi, before taking the bunny out, and he got upset and boxed me. I didn’t want him to not get out for a stretch, so I had to get him out.

I first put my hand in a fist (like a grooming invitation) at the very entrance of the cage, away from him. I started talking to him and inched my hand towards him. When he say my fist, he put his head down (like a “noooo you groom me!!”) so I stroked his nose and talked to him. Then he allowed me to pick him up, no lunging or growling.

Maybe in the mean time, moving really slowly and talking to him will stop the boxing?

• Deleted User
                          Participant

My bun Luey is a rat for biting and lunging … he hates me in his pen … thats his space (his bedroom I call it)… tis like if someone goes into your bedroom and starts to tidy things up and put things away … perhaps you can relate to it that way.

I always wait till Luey is out and then I close myself in his pen and do what I have to do … he will generally sit and wait outside his pen with his back to me till I have finished … then he rushes in there like a shot to check out what I have done.

Is your bun still settling in with his new surrounds … buns need time to adjust and get used to their new home …

He will settle after his neuteur.

Welcome here too … Dawn xx

• Deleted User
                            Participant

what does boxing mean?

• babybunsmum
                              Participant
                              3896 posts Send Private Message

it’s when a bun hits with it front paws really quickly.  they’ll sort of lunge forward quickly & swipe swipe… you’ve been boxed. 

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                Participant
                                12067 posts Send Private Message

Here’s a good video of bunny boxing http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=taD17bRxMOU

and also, because I love this one, here’s a bunny scream (don’t worry it’s just a weird bunny, he’s not hurt!) http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc8kx2u9TmM

• notjulesverne
                                  Participant
                                  207 posts Send Private Message

HA ha I was just boxed for the first time last night. Piccolino started chewing at the carpet and I reached over to move his head away and he boxed me! I thought it as kinda funny.

• Deleted User
                                    Participant

hahahaa…great videos…i love how the cats run away….and ur right, the screaming bunny is def. a weird one!!!

• Gravehearted
                                      Participant
                                      2428 posts Send Private Message

my Hareiette occasionally boxes people too, but never serious scratches or injuries.

I would agree that the neuter should really cut down on the territorial and aggressive behavior, so very glad to hear it’s scheduled. You might also ask the vet to trim his nails while he’s under too.

In the meantime – I agree with bunnytowne, take him out of the cage when you need to get in there to clean or charge his water. Buns are often most territorial about their cages. Hopefully this will really calm down post neuter.

• Hedi
                                        Participant
                                        969 posts Send Private Message

My carrera used to do this but now when I reach in her cage she will growl and I will tell her “no” very sternly and she leaves me alone to fill her food bowl. None of my other buns are territoral of their homes.

http://language.rabbitspeak.com/rabbittalk.html

I think this site is one that every bun owner should read. Buns are always talking w/ us/eachother and this article really makes it understandable to us humans.

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR what do i fo when he starts hitting me with his front paws