Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE What can I give my rabbit to chew on?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • mschoonover11
      Participant
      288 posts Send Private Message

Hey

Lately, Toby has been in a mood where he wants to chew everything. He’s chewed into my wall, desk, and a leg of a chair. I always purchase apple sticks for him but he’s starting to get tired of them. I feel like he wants something new to chew on. I’ve given him cardboard and toilet paper rolls but since he was a baby, he was never a fan of that material. My parents get annoyed at him chewing on our stuff, so I really want to give him something he can chew on safely. 

What do you guys recommend? What do your rabbit’s chew on? Thanks in advance

• sarahthegemini
        Participant
        5584 posts Send Private Message

My rabbits love willow toys!

• Heaven
          Participant
          256 posts Send Private Message

I give Sam the foraging dice/I love hay cube which is essentially hay coated cellulose with hay & herbs stuffed inside – I’m sure you can find if you Google them. I like those because they keep him occupied for a long time gradually gnawing away and he always works on it he’s finished ;p

• joea64
            Participant
            1423 posts Send Private Message

Willow sticks, woven-grass and rabbit-safe wood toys, plain toilet paper tubes with hay stuffing, pieces of plain cardboard

• Wick & Fable
              5781 posts Send Private Message

I will say if it’s a sudden ramp-up in chewing behavior, it could be explained by the spring season, or something may be bothering Toby. Any changes in eating, pooping, or energy?

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Muj Mom N Bun
                Participant
                352 posts Send Private Message

BunBun loves Willow toys and her favorite was a large willow basket… Twigloo…purchased from this website store! She never really used it to sit in or under, but she really loved snacking on it! She also never really was interested in apple wood sticks… she has plain bunny wood blocks and a large kiln dried pine hide house that I made for inside her crate at night. She enjoys chewing on the wood it’s made from. I leave plenty of boxes (from her hay shipments) all over the place… but even with all of these and more, if she feels she isn’t quite getting as much attention as she wants, at the time she wants it, she will begin chewing the doors, table and chair legs, base board mouldings… etc

Lesson I learned: Pet my Bunny!

• Areti17
                  Participant
                  11 posts Send Private Message

Calcifer has chewed the baseboards for attention. My hubby would scold him…he’d look up at hubs with that bunny glare…and then start chewing again. Repeat several times, until I come in the room. Calcifer then stopped and ran to the edge of his xpen so I would pick him up and snuggle. ?

• mschoonover11
                    Participant
                    288 posts Send Private Message

Thanks for all the replies it’s so cute to hear what all of your bunnies like!

I’ll definitely have to try the willow, willow baskets(etc.) I’ve heard many positive comments on willow from bunny owners. Toby is just really picky when it comes to toys he likes. I’m sure he’ll like the willow. This website is based in California (I think) and I live on the other side of the US, so the shipping will be very expensive. Do you guys know of any other (more affordable places/websites that sell willow toys?

And @Wick, Toby is eating and pooping completely normal. He’s just at a age where he’s very hyper and wants to chew everything. It’s also the spring season like you said.

• joea64
                      Participant
                      1423 posts Send Private Message

Posted By Wick on 5/07/2018 2:34 PM

I will say if it’s a sudden ramp-up in chewing behavior, it could be explained by the spring season, or something may be bothering Toby. Any changes in eating, pooping, or energy?

Funny you should mention the spring season, as both my own buns – though especially Fernando – have become more energetic and active chewers since March. That’s about the time when Fernando really started going to town on the play-area sisal rug, interestingly enough. Their condo is becoming rather crowded with cardboard pieces (most of them well-chewed), willow sticks (ditto), and woven-grass and wood toys.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE What can I give my rabbit to chew on?