Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A What breed is my bunny?!

Viewing 47 reply threads
  • Author
    • MargieMarie
      Participant
      33 posts Send Private Message

Hi Everyone!

I just joined this forum a couple days ago, and have been loving it!

I have had my precious little boy for about 3 months now.

But…

I STILL don’t know what breed he is…

I thought he was a netherland Dwarf… but he is growing fast! He is 5 months old… and about 2 lbs.

I am going to post some pics, any insight would be great! Thanks!

1615343548971.jpg
        1615343558254.jpg
        1615343564558.jpg
        1615343569229.jpg
        1615343577031.jpg

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

Welcome – he’s adorable.

I think he is a Lionhead because of the long fur around his face.

2 lbs at 5 months is very small. I don’t think he will get very big.

• MargieMarie
          Participant

Thanks Sarita!

I hope he stays small… he’s very cute and affectionate.

A Lionhead? Really? I hadn’t even thought of that…

Although those pics make him look a little furrier around the face than he looks… I think…

What’s yours? A Dutch?

• bunnytowne
            Participant
            7537 posts Send Private Message

lionhead everything lionhead ahaha. you are the 2nd person to ask what kind of bun and is also a lionhead hehe. they are sooo cute. they get no more than 3.5 lbs usually. they stay small and cute too. he sure is pretty.

• bunnytowne
              Participant

bun bun is such a curiuos little darling.

• bigsis7
                Participant
                732 posts Send Private Message

I would say he’s a lionhead bunny. They do stay very small. The biggest lionhead I’ve heard of was 5 lbs, but that’s very big for a lionhead. He is adorable!!

• MargieMarie
                  Participant

REALLY!?

I’m serious, I never even thought Lionhead.

There is no way! …I don’t think…

I am looking and Lionhead pics online, and they have VERY long fur…??

• Sarita
                    Participant

It’s possible he’s a Lionhead mix. He doesn’t have the “skirt” but it seems the fur around his face is longer.

• MargieMarie
                      Participant

Ooooh, a mutt.

• bunnytowne
                        Participant

those lionheads you see on websites are show buns thats why you see gobs of hair on them. there are single mane lionheads too they don’t have skirts and a little mohawk of a hair  some of them by 1 1/2 yrs get a big mane too as they mold it either gets bigger or stays the same or doens’t grow back is a new breed  of rabbit so the manes are a bit unpredictable right now. those show bunnies you see on line tho they are kept and bred for getting breed standard and accepted by ARBA and also the ones that keep the manes are bred and those are double manes too that you see online. those are pedigree and their background is imported from brittain.  the ones that don’t make the cut for show or breeding are sold as pets.  and yours could be a mix too .

• Beka27
                          Participant
                          16016 posts Send Private Message

he’s gorgeous!

• MargieMarie
                            Participant

Thanks for your insight.

• MargieMarie
                              Participant
                                Posted By Beka27 on 06/15/2008 4:33 PM
                                he’s gorgeous!

Thank you!

Yours is precious too!

• minnieservis
                                Participant
                                98 posts Send Private Message

He is just adorable!!!!! I don’t know much about breeds, in fact I’m trying to find out the breed of my new bun! But I just wanted to tell you how precious he is! His lil face is so sweet he just makes u wanna cuddle him

• Aina067
                                  Participant
                                  52 posts Send Private Message

…he is SOOO CUTE!!

He definitely has some lionhead in him…a mutt…haha…

I like the “ring” he has around his belly…he is simply adorable…I just wanna *hug* him!!

^-^

• JK
                                    Participant
                                    2223 posts Send Private Message

He is absolutely precious!  I just want to kiss him!  I bet he’s a mix of some sort with lionhead for sure. Cutie pie!

• MargieMarie
                                      Participant

Aww, thank you!

He is a bundle of furry love!

• MooBunnay
                                        Participant
                                        3087 posts Send Private Message

Welcome to BinkyBunny! I ditto that your bunny is adorable I also recognize a bit of lionhead in him, that little dot on his nose is so cute!

• JamieM
                                          Participant
                                          321 posts Send Private Message

Your bunny is so cute! 

I’m amused…your bunny is 2 lbs at 5 months, my bunny is 2.7lbs at 10 weeks!  My bunny is gonna be a big girl! 

• jerseygirl
                                            22345 posts Send Private Message

Hello!
                                              Those pics are great. I love the one of him doing some filing!! What’s his name??? There’s a thread in the lounge titled “Who are you guys?”. You should put your pics in there too so more people see him. Sorry – can’t help you with the breed but concensus seems part lionhead and the folks here are pretty knowledgable.

• MargieMarie
                                              Participant

Awww, thank you all!

Davita ~ Your bunny is going to be a big girl!

Jerseygirl ~ His name is Horton… I will definately post his pics in that other thread.

Thank you ALL for your input!

• COOKIE'N FLUFF MOMMA
                                                Participant
                                                182 posts Send Private Message

OMG  Horton is soo cute! Very unique looking. Like everyone said,def  a lionhead mix. I have 2 lionheads myself, they are very sweet.

• electro-weezle
                                                  Participant
                                                  75 posts Send Private Message

aww i wud have no idea but he is very very cute!

x

• MargieMarie
                                                    Participant

Thank you thank you thank you!

I am having him neutered next week… and I am very nervous!

I am attaching two more pics… the first is of him eating his hay outside. And the 2nd is of him last night… (he can jump on my bed!!!!)… watching tv with me.

1618285880371.jpg
                                                      1618285891254.jpg

• Beka27
                                                      Participant

eeeeek!!! he’s so sweet! let us know how the surgery goes. he’ll be fine. don’t worry.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                                        Participant
                                                        12067 posts Send Private Message

OHHHH so cute!! *explodes* he’s watching TV!!! LOL

• Sarita
                                                          Participant

I love the TV one – look at that cute butt and backside profile he has.

• lilmizzsnickerz
                                                            Participant
                                                            318 posts Send Private Message

probably a mix i had that problem with domino hes a mix and i didnt even know wot size he was going to be now hes giant and has outgrown every home i have got him so now he has a massive hutch but spends his days lying on my bed or on the sofa hes about the size of my dog lol

• MargieMarie
                                                              Participant

I just can’t believe he can jump on my bed… he is probably about 2 lbs now… But I have a HIGH bed w. 2 mattresses.

• MargieMarie
                                                                Participant

I love all you bunny lovers here!

All my friends think I’m crazy…

• GrammyB
                                                                  Participant
                                                                  52 posts Send Private Message

Oh My! Horton, just oozes with cuteness! <>

I love a Lionhead mix, they have a little radical fringe, but not the explosion of hair that a full Lionhead has, and a lot less upkeep. lol

• Beka27
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      Posted By xomargiemariexo on 06/18/2008 2:44 PM
                                                                      I love all you bunny lovers here!

All my friends think I’m crazy…

we all get that a lot.

Crazy Bunny Lovers… UNITE!!! 

• MooBunnay
                                                                      Participant

I loove the name Horton – was it inspired by “Horton Hears a Who”? That happens to be ranked very highly on my favorite movies of all time list!

• lilmizzsnickerz
                                                                        Participant
                                                                        318 posts Send Private Message

when people ask me bout my pets and i say i keep him in the house not only do i get the look (the one that screams wtf is wrong with u) the first question is dont they smell….and im lyk durr only if u dnt clean up after them u wud smell if u shat in the house and no one cleaned it so now ive become the crazy AGGRESSIVE LADY …… i cant win

• skunklionshow
                                                                          Participant
                                                                          1257 posts Send Private Message

He is adorable!  As someone once described on this site…you have the lionheads that look like the cartoon characters post- cigar blowing up in their face.  That’s the kind that my Leo is…in my avatar it looks like he has a spiky toupee.  The longer hair around his chin/head can’t really be seen unless your close up to him.  His mane is more pronounced when you look at him from the back, it’s very obvious as the base of his head.

• MargieMarie
                                                                            Participant
                                                                              Posted By MooBunnay on 06/20/2008 3:41 PM
                                                                              I loove the name Horton – was it inspired by “Horton Hears a Who”? That happens to be ranked very highly on my favorite movies of all time list!

YES!!!

• Binkles
                                                                              Participant
                                                                              823 posts Send Private Message

=D We think that Little-Bit is a Lionhead mutt too!

• MargieMarie
                                                                                Participant

Awwww, how precious! You’re right, Little-Bit’s fur looks like Hortie’s.

• skunklionshow
                                                                                  Participant

OMG!  They are both soooo adorable!!!  I’m amazed @ how different lionheads look.  I realize that it’s likely do to all the mixed breeding AKA mutting, but I think even in general lionheads are all diverse.  Just out of curiousity….Anyone find that their lionheads:

A.  Have more teeth issues than other buns?

B.  Tend to be more lickey than nibbly/ bitey?

I’m wondering if his issue is just his teeth probs or if it’s a breed thing.

• Binkles
                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                    823 posts Send Private Message

Oh my GOSH. I don’t know about everyone else, but Little-Bit is a PROFESSIONAL licker. If your hand is anywhere near her mouth, she will kiss you SO much. In fact…kissing is her main defense. Whenever she’s being held down or otherwise restrained…she will attack you with vicious kisses!!

She’s so sweet…she refuses to bite. ><

On the flip side, though, she’s also no amateur nibbler. One of her favourite pastimes is to chew on her Igloo.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                                                                      Participant

I’ve not heard about lionheads, nor experienced it but I’ve read that dwarf breeds have more teeth problems since they are smaller.

I’ve found that my lionhead is nippy (not in a bad way, it’s to get us to play or to throw our hands like a toy) and has no teeth issues. There are some distinctions to note. One is that european lionheads, as far as I’ve read, aren’t a dwarf breed. Also that’s the lineage that can have epiliepsy. (This is all from reading, I’m not a doctor!! ) There are also single maned and double maned lionheads.

I think the reason for so much variance in lionheads is, that while establishing them as a new breed they’ve brought in tons of blood from other breeds to introduce new colors. The epiliepsy thing has caused breeders to halt cross-breeding for the time being until the epilepsy gene can be isolated and bred out.

Anyways, Just wanted to point out that there are two seperate lines of lionheads (N. America and European) and also there are single and double maned so they are for sure a huge variety of lionheads!!!

Phew -how off topic was that!!?!?

• MargieMarie
                                                                                        Participant

Ooooh, cool. Horton has never bitten me… or kissed me!

He did start doing something new though!

I put him on the back porch at night for his dinner when it’s cooled off, and he loves it… and when it’s just about to get dark, he scratches at the door to come in! When I open the door, he goes straight “home” and then stands up for his treat. Smart bunny! Hehe!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                                                                          Participant

OMG how cute!!! You have a cute little doggie-bunnie LOL

• skunklionshow
                                                                                            Participant

Glad to hear that Leo isn’t the only super duper licker!  He never bites, but licks, like you said even as a stress response.  I think this is why his previous home used to give him a salt lick, they thought it’s what lickers should have.  Binky’s forums set me straight.  He has licking toys all over his cage (i.e. little stuffed rabbits).  W/ all that licking, you’d think he would groom Jessica constantly, but last night he refused numurous queen requests.

Margie:  we too had a “dog bunny” growing up.  He acted just like our dog, even tried to eat and drink out of the dog bowl at their supper time! 

• LittlePuffyTail
                                                                                              Moderator
                                                                                              18092 posts Send Private Message

I love his dark little nose. He is extremely cute!

Oh, and welcome to Binky Bunny! Hope to hear more about your little guy~

• MooBunnay
                                                                                                Participant

I don’t have any bunnies that like to lick me I have just one that will give me one or two little grooms, then she shoves her had right under my hand to get more grooms from me!

Tell Horton I say “a person is a person no matter how small” !

• MargieMarie
                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                    Posted By MooBunnay on 06/25/2008 6:13 PM
                                                                                                    I don’t have any bunnies that like to lick me I have just one that will give me one or two little grooms, then she shoves her had right under my hand to get more grooms from me!

Tell Horton I say “a person is a person no matter how small” !

LOVE IT!

Sometimes when he goes crazy doin his binkies I wonder if he does hear a Who.

• Ashley
                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                    50 posts Send Private Message

HEHEHEHEHE!!!  He is so cute!  I love bunnies!

I wish my bun bun could live in the house – my mother in law is residing with us and is severely allergic and the boyfriend says “no bunnies in the house.”  I always grew up with the rule that bunnies lived outside, but now that I see how easy it is to have the buns in the house, I want mine inside too.   She’s so friendly too… 

Viewing 47 reply threads
                                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A What breed is my bunny?!