Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE What age can I move babies?

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
    • charlie82
      Participant
      295 posts Send Private Message

I’m wondering how old the babies have to be before I can move them out of the hutch they are in and into the playhouse which is so much more spacious? Obviously I don’t want to risk upsetting mum but I don’t like her being stuck in the hutch either. On another note i’m now having problems with their owner whose daughter seems to want them back! It’s making me feel ill I haven’t actually spoken to my aunt about it, but my nine year old cousin rang me again tonight and said her friend wants two of the rabbits as does one of my aunts colleagues. She said she was buying a run to let the baby rabbits out in, and I tried to explain that they would be staying here but I had to be tactful because she is only nine. I have NO IDEA what her mum has been saying to her on the matter, plus I don’t want to give the babies to her friends unless I have spoken to them and vetted them myself.

I feel really stuck now and ill about it all because although I don’t see my aunt much at all I am going away next month with a hen party group and she is going too 🙁

• Martie
        Participant
        82 posts Send Private Message

You are in a tight spot there, and I feel for you.
          What are your options? I did read all about how you got the babies, mom, etc and know the story.

It seems they want to be rabbit owners but yet whenever they get in a bind they peter out.

Can you just say NO? Is that too hard in your situation? being kin and all?

Otherwise can you do a white lie? for the best of the bunnies and say they are sick and need lots of treatment to
          scare them away from wanting them back?

I know that’s tacky..but…will you end up in this situation just a few mo’s down the road again when they run
          into yet another problem they don’t want to “deal” with.

good luck, and huggsssss across the ocean from North Carolina.
          Martie

• Sarita
          Participant
          18851 posts Send Private Message

Are you just wanting to move the whole family (mom and babies) to a safer place? I think it should be fine now – the sooner the better.

I think you should speak with the aunt about the whole situation – tell the 9 year old you will only speak with her mother about the situation. The mom might be grateful that you are taking this on too.

• charlie82
            Participant

Thanks Martie…I’m just unnaturally shy and can not argue with people. Even though I’m screaming inside I have never been able to be confrontational.

Sarita, I just want to move them into the playhouse so mum has more space and when the babies start crawling around they will have a lot of room. And there is a 12ft pen attached so mum can come and go as she pleases.Would I have to move the nest or would she make a new one?  I have only spoken to my aunt once just after they were born and I told her I was rehoming them and she said that was best. I haven’t heard from her since but my cousin has called twice. I’m thinking that her mum is just telling her things to keep her quiet, but I think I might actually have to speak to her myself about it. I have kind of lied already and sent her a txt saying i’ve found homes…. but she hasn’t text back. I find it hard to actually speak to her since she’s the kind of person that is confrontational and can be quite nasty. Obviously I don’t know how things stand legally.

I think if I educated my cousin on rabbit care, handling etc I would maybe consider letting her have mum and dad back once I have spayed her but could only do so if I though she would look after them. I would have to make sure their garden is bunny proofed and be sure that she is confident handling them. I think I would then have to take charge in making sure they are vet checked annually, vaccinated etc and would probably have to see to that myself. I just don’t know what else I can say to put her off keeping them. I know she loves them but sometimes that isn’t enough, and it’s not in my nature to see them go somewhere I think they won’t be looked after

• Sarita
              Participant
              18851 posts Send Private Message

I would move the babies in with their current nesting – mom may choose to change it up a bit but that is her choice :~)

• Martie
                Participant
                82 posts Send Private Message

aww, I can appreciate your shyness, at some point in your life though you will need to assert yourself. This may be a good opportunity for you to grow with your shyness and practice. I wish I lived closer, I’d speak for you!
                  Can you find other homes for the buns, better homes w/out too much difficulty where you are?

I certainly wish you the best no matter what and will be hoping the best for you and the baby bunnies.
                  GOOD LUCK Charlie

• charlie82
                  Participant

Posted By Martie on 01/29/2008 2:12 PM
                    aww, I can appreciate your shyness, at some point in your life though you will need to assert yourself. This may be a good opportunity for you to grow with your shyness and practice. I wish I lived closer, I’d speak for you!
                    Can you find other homes for the buns, better homes w/out too much difficulty where you are?

I certainly wish you the best no matter what and will be hoping the best for you and the baby bunnies.
                    GOOD LUCK Charlie

Thanks Martie yes, I definitely need to learn to be more assertive! I’m 26 and have grown in confidence over the last five years but I’m still ridiculously shy. I just know that people will think I am in the wrong not giving them back because lets face it…people like me are not considered ‘normal’  when we feel so strongly about an animals welfare. Even my mum said ‘give them back, they are not your rabbits to keep’ but I don’t think it’s as simple as that!

• babybunsmum
                    Participant
                    3896 posts Send Private Message

i also think you should talk to your aunt.  i’ve read about the situation in your other thread as well.  i dont think it has to be a confrontation – at least at first – because you can simply explain that you are in touch with a forum & a vet about caring for the buns.  i think if you explain that it’s fairly involved your aunt will not demand them back.  i forget… didn’t you originally take mum from her with her permission?  if so, i’m sure she can appreciate that when you did you began to make arrangements for them & that unfortunately a change of heart on her end is too late now.  like sarita, i think it’s a mom’s job to explain that to her child & not yours.  good luck moving mom & the bubs!

edit to add…. oops.  just re-read your orig thread & see that you had the mum while she was on holidays.  i still think that you do not have to hit her with ‘you can’t care for them properly’ which will certainly ruffle feathers, but rather explain that it’ll be a while before bubs can be weened and longer still before they’ll be able to be fixed.  surely sh can understand the importance of spays / neuters now?

• charlie82
                      Participant
                        Posted By babybunsmum on 01/29/2008 2:30 PM

i also think you should talk to your aunt.  i’ve read about the situation in your other thread as well.  i dont think it has to be a confrontation – at least at first – because you can simply explain that you are in touch with a forum & a vet about caring for the buns.  i think if you explain that it’s fairly involved your aunt will not demand them back.  i forget… didn’t you originally take mum from her with her permission?  if so, i’m sure she can appreciate that when you did you began to make arrangements for them & that unfortunately a change of heart on her end is too late now.  like sarita, i think it’s a mom’s job to explain that to her child & not yours.  good luck moving mom & the bubs!

edit to add…. oops.  just re-read your orig thread & see that you had the mum while she was on holidays.  i still think that you do not have to hit her with ‘you can’t care for them properly’ which will certainly ruffle feathers, but rather explain that it’ll be a while before bubs can be weened and longer still before they’ll be able to be fixed.  surely sh can understand the importance of spays / neuters now?\\

Yeah I had them while they went on holiday, supposed to be two weeks but they didn’t get in touch for three weeks. I think if it were not for my cousin harbouring an interest my aunt wouldn’t give two hoots about them. They haven’t even asked for Thumper the buck back. my cousin obviously like the idea of having some cute babies running around. Nope she doesn’t understand the importance of neutering and spaying. She’s been allowing these rabbits to ‘breed’ for 12 8 or more months now. So far she’s only had two litters that we know of…probably had more in the garden somewhere. Even now by choice she wouldn’t spay the female, even though i’ve told her the health risks associated with leaving her intact!  Also, I have tried to put her off the babies by saying they are inbred (mother and dad are siblings and were from pet shup so prob inbred themselves) and will more than likely have inherited genetic problems i.e dental issues. I know the majority of domestic bunnies are inbred but I can stretch the truth a little…

• Beka27
                        Participant
                        16016 posts Send Private Message

hmmm.  i know it’s long in the future… but were you thinking of spaying and neutering the baby rabbits yourself?  if so… you could tell the cousin that the babies her friend wants, will not be ready to go to her for about 6 months.  if she still wants them in 6 months, let you know.  most kids don’t have that long of an attention span and they would be most likely forgotten by then.  or if she wants them she has to reimburse you for the surgery cost… call it an adoption fee.

if push came to shove and you said no, can’t have them, i would think she’d need to involve the police to force you to give them back.  but when you told the police what happened, or involved the humane society, they may side with you.

• Beka27
                          Participant

i would tell the aunt you’ll maybe give the father back.  i also am thinking she just wants to have the babies around b/c they’re cute and small.

• JK
                            Participant
                            2223 posts Send Private Message

Well I also hate confrontations but you really have to think about the welfare of these bunnies over anything else.  You do need to talk to your aunt.  If it’s really hard for you to talk to her in person, could you write a detailed letter or is that too weird????  Trust me, you will feel SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better for doing this. I’m sure you are sick with worry and that’s not healthy for you!  You have done such a wonderful job! I personally think you should not give any of them back.

• charlie82
                              Participant

Thanks guys…
                                I think I need to speak to her and just be upfront rather than worrying about it. I’m going to explain that it’s hard for me to see rabbits go when I work with a rescue and see the number of rabbits coming in because of the same ‘accidental’ breeding that goes on, as well as when kids get bored of them. I wouldn’t be being true to myself if I let them go to people who a) I couldn’t trust to neuter and b) to people who aren’t willing to educate themselves on rabbit welfare and be prepared to invest time and money into them. I wanted to vet all new homes and owners as I usually do with fosters to make sure that the rabbit is going to the best possible place. I never adopt out without saying they must return bunnies to me if anything goes wrong or it doesn’t work out, it’s just awkward that they aren’t wanting to give them up entirely to me. They are not big on animals in the sense that we are, and certainly don’t see them as ‘part of the family’ they are just rabbits to them…. I would be willing to keep and neuter all rabbits unless I find homes that I know will neuter themselves and can keep in touch with. She knows I’m following from my vet friend and rescue owner but people like me are just weirdo’s as far as she is concerned and take it too seriously!

I think suggesting I keep them until they are neutered is a good thing to say to my aunt, though they will think i’m crazy because they don’t realise the importance of it. I think I just feel unsure about it all because although she was happy for me to deal with it at the beginning it seems my cousin is taking a great deal of interest and putting pressure on to have them. I think if she dares use that as an excuse to want them I will be telling her they aren’t toys and that it’s not in their best interest.

• skunklionshow
                                Participant
                                1257 posts Send Private Message

It is possible that your aunt is avoiding the conversation w/ the cousin and wanting you to be the "bad guy".  That way she can look good and you can look mean.  I like the wait 6 months thing b/f placing the bunnies, but I do think that you may be able to work out a compromise.  I’m a big fan of behavioral contracts and behavioral charting (its the psychologist in me)…can you work out a system where if the cousin agrees to work x number of days a week caring for the pets in your home, then you can work out some kind of deal, but only after they are fixed?  I believe in giving people the chance to prove me right or wrong depending on how you look at it.  I also like the telling the cousin that the issue is really between you and the aunt and that you can’t really discuss it w/ her, since auntie is her mum.  I think you can come up w/ some ideal solutions using a blend of all these tactics. 

Would it be possible that you could offer a bunny education course and once the education and requirements are completed then people could earn a bunny?  I think as long as the guidelines are clear w/ each persons responsibilities and requirements and what the end all result is….you would be providing everyone w/ a wonderful service, while feeling comfortable that people can care for these rabbits.  That way, if people can’t complete the requirements you set, they can’t have a bun.  In the US possesion is 9/10ths of the law!  I really doubt that your aunt/ cousin would know what the law is..if they are barristers, did they break the law w/ animal neglect/ abandonment?  I may be ranting at this point so I hope this makes some type of sense.  Sending you lots of confidence across the pond.

• Beka27
                                  Participant

i understand your points skunklionshow.  like i said before, if she wanted them back that badly, she’d need to involve law enforcement to come and get them.  i doubt she cares enough.  and i think i remember you saying your cousin is very young?  far too young to be solely responsible.

• Lisa_43
                                    Participant
                                    1499 posts Send Private Message
                                      Posted By Lisa_43 on 01/29/2008 4:16 PM

knowltons4

Well I also hate confrontations but you really have to think about the welfare of these bunnies over anything else.

I am also not confrontational, but when it comes down to it I certainly would get the courage up when it comes to animal’s welfare.

• MooBunnay
                                      Participant
                                      3087 posts Send Private Message

It sounds to me like the mom just wants to appease the girl and says “oh we’ll see – we’ll ask and see what happens” and is fully HOPING that you will say no! Saying that you want to wait until they are neutered, or until they are old enough to not need “special care” is a good idea, because then they will be older and bigger and maybe she won’t be so excited about it because they aren’t babies anymore. When you talk to the Aunt, find out what she really wants, she may just be non-confrontational herself and not want an argument with a 9 year old

• JK
                                        Participant
                                        2223 posts Send Private Message

You could also tell auntie that these buns are sooo much work and they are peeing, pooping and spraying all over the place! And so messy and rambunctious! Maybe that’ll scare em off!

• bunny04
                                          Participant
                                          15 posts Send Private Message

Hi,

After reading all the posts, if i was in that situation the welfare of the bunnies would be what comes first…if that means you have to say NO then thats what needs to be said… might be mean/harsh but in your heart you know thats the right thing to do.

In terms of how old the bunnies to say with their mother its suppose to be a minium of 8 weeks (because they need mothers milk until that age) alot of people seperate the babies from their mother before that but its not good, more prone to being sick/weak and having health problems. I think its a good idea to move them all together with the mother into a bigger space as you wanted.

I volunteer at shelter where i deal with abandoned, neglected, abused rabbits its soo sad sometimes im in tears these poor innocent animals end up in horrible situations like these, i believe education and responsibility is key. If someone i knew was neglecting an animal or not properly taking care of it i would not give it back to the owner… and explain to them your position.

As we all know a rabbit for a child is not a good thing they might want it in the beginning but they grow out of it, while the animal suffers. This is sad but reality. I believe you should speak to the mother and let her know exactly what responsibilites and care is involved.

Having rabbits as pets is wonderful thing, but i believe it is only for people who are responsible and willing to take care of them meaning socalizing, proper diet, taking them to vet when sick, and getting them spayed or neutered if needed.

keep us posted!!

• Gravehearted
                                            Participant
                                            2428 posts Send Private Message

your instinct to wait until after they’re neutered or spayed seems like a very wise idea, I think if at that point you can better ascertain if they’re truly willing to make a serious commitment to the buns welfare and care. I know how terrible confrontation can be, but I also can tell how upset you are over the whole thing.
                                              sending you lots of supportive hugs!

• Scarlet_Rose
                                              Participant
                                              4293 posts Send Private Message

Charlie, I think that honest talk with the aunt is a stellar idea. I don’t like lies either and I am thinking the only reason the cousin wants them back because she it getting a LOT of attention from her peers and others too because of the allure of BABY bunnies. She wants the mum and babies because well, the babies have to come with mum and I think she knows that.

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE What age can I move babies?