Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Weirdest experience ever? Help?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    • MortyMayhem
      Participant
      5 posts Send Private Message

Alright so. I’ve had my unfixed Flemish giant for almost a year now. He’s a very docile, happy and sweet boy. I decided after scheduling his neuter for this week he’d need a friend to keep him busy while I take a new job.  I got her last night, she’s a 2 month old lionhead girl. I wasn’t planning on bonding them until a good month or two from now. They’ve been watching each other from their separate enclosures all night and day. Again, she got here last night. She started flopping and loafing and binkying today as well as eating normally again. Well i step out for a few minutes trusting their barriers would keep them held up considering it’s never been a problem with Frank and she’s just a tiny thing (I used a big barrier for her space.) I come back and she is in his space. Jumped both barriers. Their body language was fine and he was sniffing at her butt. Of course on impulse I separated them. Now they are making grand escapes to check each other out and go in each other’s spaces. Again, nothing seems aggressive. Frankie also has never acted this way, not agitated but, eager? He’s never jumped on my bed until today to see if she was up there and to try and get to her. After I separated them they, like I said, have been going for each other like crazy but also, they’re both still eating, loafing, flopping. Should I maybe just let them meet now? My worry is they are both unfixed and she’s tiny.. he’s a big big boy. I know every rabbit advice thing everywhere says to get them fixed but they didn’t fight unsupervised in HIS space. I would be heartbroken if he tried to assert dominance or decided he doesn’t like her because he could seriously hurt her. Like guys, 4 of her could fit in one of him

• DanaNM
        8935 posts Send Private Message

They didn’t fight because they are un-castrated and were more concerned with mating. At 8 weeks she is probably not able to get pregnant yet, so that’s good, you hopefully won’t end up with an oops-litter. Rabbits can mate in a flash, even through cage bars. The way rabbits normally mate is the female enters the male’s territory, so no surprises there.

Absolutely doo NOT let them meet anymore. Right now his attraction to her is purely for mating purposes. It honestly might be best to move her into a secure room, out of his sight for now. Once he is neutered and she is spayed you can resume their side-by-side living arrangements. I would also add a roof to the pens to prevent this from happening again (a sheet clipped to the top works great).

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Weirdest experience ever? Help?