Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Weird oval poop

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • Bunnybutt
      Participant
      23 posts Send Private Message

Poo example from A.M.

Hello!

I’m new to rabbits so this may be a dumb question. My little Elmer has been having these weird oblong shaped poops randomly over the last couple of days. Some of them have things sticking out of them like hair or possibly hay.  He’s otherwise normal, eating, drinking, playing.  It’s a 3 week wait to get him into his vet for a regular appointment, but I can get him into an urgent care appointment but I wasn’t sure if this warranted that kind of thing. Is this something that needs to be dealt with asap or can it wait?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you from both of us!

• Bam
        16892 posts Send Private Message

This doesnt warrant an emergency vet visit. Oval poops like these means theres been a slight gut slowdown.

Is Elmer shedding? Many buns get a bit of tummy trouble when they’re molting or about to start a molt. The best thing to do is to brush him daily, so he cant ingest a lot of hair.

• Bunnybutt
            Participant

Thank you for the reply! I am seeing more fur around and he’s grooming a lot so maybe that’s the beginning of a molt?  I do need to get him a real brush, i’ll do that this evening and start brushing him out daily so he’s not eating all that hair.

Thank you again, that was very helpful and it kept me from freaking out lol

• Susanne
            Participant
            421 posts Send Private Message

My rabbit also has a lot of those due to shedding right now. And so awesome you named your rabbit Elmer! That was the name of my first bun that passed away a few months ago.

• Bunnybutt
                Participant

Thank you! And i’m sorry about your bun passing 🙁 thats always hard.  It is a really cute name, perfect for cute little buns!

• LBJ10
                16932 posts Send Private Message

It looks like two poops smooshed together (i.e. a “double”). As Bam said, it just indicates a little bit of a slowdown.

• Bunnybutt
                    Participant

Thats what I thought too when I first started seeing them. I thought maybe it was just because of how he was sitting but then I saw him actually lay some. So I got him a brush/glove and i’m really pushing more hay and greens. Hopefully that will help the slow down 🤞

• DanaNM
                    8957 posts Send Private Message

Does he eat plenty of hay? If so, then I agree with the others that it’s prob due to fur. If you notice he doesn’t eat that much hay (or his appetite for hay goes down), or you notice a lot of large pieces of unchewed hay in his poop I suggest getting his teeth checked. One of my past buns had some molar issues and the first symptom was weird poops (different sizes, some larger, some smaller, and often with pretty large pieces of hay still in it), but it went along with not eating much hay.

His poops don’t look too bad though, so I agree with others that it’s not urgent, just something to keep an eye on and keep up with the brushing.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 4 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Weird oval poop