Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Weird outgrowth on neck might be papilloma virus

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • NatalyNapaea
      Participant
      15 posts Send Private Message

when I first felt the outgrowth I thought it was a scab from her getting scratched on something, this was just a week or so ago. Now I actually saw a keratinized piece of outgrowth and it’s getting a big bigger.

we just moved into a house and we’ve been letting her out in the yard for around an hour everyday so she could’ve gotten bit by a mosquito or come in contact with areas where the wild buns might have been, so it makes sense.

I think it’s called cottontail rabbit papillomavirus or shope papillomavirus.

she is acting completely normal and happy, eating and pooping excellent lol

I read online that it goes away by itself sometimes,  has anyone had experience with this?

• LBJ10
        16908 posts Send Private Message

Papillomas can go away on their own. Do you have a photo so we can see what it looks like?

• NatalyNapaea
          Participant

you guys won’t believe it! it turned out to be the larvae of a cuterebra fly! they had to sedate her and took it out the same day! We are so grateful to have gone to this vet! It was such a gross bug, when they took it out it was the size of half a loonie! It was huge. they said it happened when she was digging a burrow in the soil, and the fly falls on the rabbit, burrowing under skin and laying the egg. It took her multiple hours to get back to herself after the anesthesia and maybe the stress of the car ride, but now in the evening she’s all better. We were sent home with antibiotics and a wound rinse. antibiotics have strawberry flavour, but I also put it in juice mixed w water and she licked it all so that was easy lol. And of course no more outside for now, but they said to weigh the risks and benefits….and there’s less bugs when its now getting colder outside.

• Bam
            16877 posts Send Private Message

Oh, wow 😳 So glad you went to a good vet who knew what it was a could remove it! I looked up  botflies and it seems that maintenance treatment with ivermectin or imidacloprid during fly-season could lower the risk of warbles. Keeping your bun inside will of course be the safest thing, but as your vet says, there’s risk and benefit to take into consideration. Some rabbits really, really love the outdoors.

• LBJ10
              16908 posts Send Private Message

Oh wow! Not what I was expecting. LOL

I’m glad you were able to find a vet to take care of this. Botflies are nasty little things and the larvae are difficult to remove. You have to make sure you get the whole thing. With animals, you pretty much have to sedate them because they have to be completely still for this.

• NatalyNapaea
                Participant

there is even a video of the doctor removing it, if anyone is interested. It is on their Facebook page Mariposa Veterinary (Orillia, Ontario)

• Bam

Thank you! I will definitely go take a look.

I hope your bun is still doing well?

• NatalyNapaea
                      Participant

Yes thank you, she is fully recovered and I don’t even feel the scab anymore

• Bam

Wonderful news 😃

Viewing 7 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Weird outgrowth on neck might be papilloma virus