Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Weird bunny nesting behaviour

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • kayleigh
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

Hi everyone,

I’m new to this forum so apologies if I haven’t posted in the right place.

I have two female rabbits, both almost two years old. Quite often, my younger, less dominant female has made nests and has pulled out the other female’s fur to do so. (neither are extremely dominant, but the older female is significantly larger and stronger and shows minor signs of dominance).

I am aware that nesting like this is a sign of a phantom pregnancy, but my question is why is she pulling fur from the other rabbit? They have never shown aggression towards each other, and are constantly loving. They don’t fight, and the larger rabbit seems bothered by this, but not to the point of thumping or fighting.

Thanks for any help 🙂

• Wick & Fable
        5781 posts Send Private Message

I assume both females are unspayed, based on the fact that one is nesting. Is this correct? Since the topic of intentional breeding is prohibited on these forums, there are not many users who will have experience with females going through nesting behavior (since many people have already spayed rabbits and this stops nesting behaviors).

My uneducated thought is that if an animal is nesting, it’s going to get material wherever is convenient and accessible, which at this point seems to be the other female rabbit.

I would caution leaving them alone unsupervised or together at all at this point — if one is going through nesting, it may cause some tension in the relationship, especially if it’s leading to pulling out the fur of another. Females especially can be quite territorial and having two unspayed females can be an unpredictable relationship. Rabbits can lethally injure each other when provoked or feeling threatened.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• LBJ10
          16899 posts Send Private Message

Perhaps the other bunny has “better” fur for nesting material purposes? It’s hard to say. As Wick suggested, it’s probably just a convenience thing. I would definitely be wary of these interactions. They could trigger a fight if the other bunny gets annoyed enough.

• Cinnamon Bun
            Participant
            205 posts Send Private Message

Are you 100% sure that they’re both female?

• SweetPotato
              Participant
              100 posts Send Private Message

Ooh @CinnamonBun that’s a really good point! I’ve heard so many stories about people (even vets!) not being able to determine the right gender of a bun 😂

• HipHopBunny
                Participant
                640 posts Send Private Message

I, unfortunatly, also had to go through this with my buns at one point as well. 🙁

My three girls were all very loving towards one another in their early months, so I’d always thought that they’d have no problem. At around the age of 6 months, though, one started getting more dominant over the others. This behavior progressed, until the point of her pulling fur from the others, and gathering hay. When she started doing this, soon the others started doing the same behavior. I was very alarmed, as I had no idea why they all were pulling fur from themself/others, and was quite worried. They’d continued to do this, so I had to separate them.

After they were separated, they all still continued pulling fur from themselves, as well as gathering hay and other materials for nesting. What I did – to make it so they didn’t keep pulling fur – was I gave them extra amounts of hay for bedding, as well as cotton for soft padding. This helped greatly, for anything I gave them, they took. It’s hard seeing our bunny girls in so much stress. 🙁

Are there any vets in your area that could spay them? After I got all of my ladies spayed and started the bonding process, their relationship – and overall interaction – became much more positive. 🙂  They’ve also warmed up to me much more as well. 🥰

Wishing you the best!!

• Cinnamon Bun
                  Participant
                  205 posts Send Private Message

@SweetPotato – Lol, yep that happens! This is exactly what I was thinking. If the other bun’s gender wasn’t determined properly, there could be a possibility that one’s male, and it isn’t a false pregnancy. I’m not an expert, and I’m not 100% sure that’s the case, but I would still be careful. I assume they both haven’t been spayed yet, so you can never be absolutely sure. I hope everything turns out okay!  

• bunbun00
                    Participant
                    28 posts Send Private Message

My girl isn’t spayed yet and she literally farts around the house finding everything she can to make a nest with and the other bun just stays well out of her way. She flops down sometimes as she’s panting like stressed herself out (like phew I’m so tired all that work). It makes me laugh so much but I do feel bad! She gets so proud of it😭 I wouldn’t be too concerned unless they’re hurting each other.

• Bunny Hop
                      Participant
                      3 posts Send Private Message

my female bunnies are seven years old. By the time I found out that it was a good idea to s spade them. They are already too old. They are bonded amazingly. Pepper is nesting today. I am glad it’s not both of them. It makes a huge mess. I don’t let them free rome  on days like these. My bunnies haven’t heard each other. I know I can’t speak for everybody’s. I wouldn’t be concerned unless they start to get aggressive. I think it’s more frustrating for me than the bunnies. Let me tell you. My next bunnies will definitely be spayed or neutered. Since now I know that this nesting behavior would be stopped.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Weird bunny nesting behaviour