Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Weird behavior and space under the bed

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • LittleLionMan
      Participant
      133 posts Send Private Message

Hi all! I apologize for the length of this but something very odd happened yesterday. For context, my buns are recently bonded and have been sharing a pen together. They cuddle constantly and have zero issues.  I have the area under the bed blocked off (also blocks off spare space behind their pen) because I wanted to be able to access them if things went awry during bonding. They both have been trying to burrow through the pillow barrier to get under the bed, and we’re each successful a few times. Yesterday I got tired of redirecting them, and since they are doing so well together I decided to unblock the bed. This is where the weirdness happened:

Pixie was under the bed and Wolfie FREAKED out! He was thumping, stiff in posture, and just clearly spooked and defensive. I thought he was afraid of the pile of pillows on my bed so I moved it. But then she ran out from under the bed towards him and he ran away thumping in absolute fear. that’s when I realized he was afraid of HER! almost like he didn’t recognize her when she was under the bed. I blocked off the bed again and they immediately cuddled and the world was right again. Pixie managed to get under the bed a second time so I tried unblocking again (thinking maybe we can adjust with more exposure), and the same thing happened. He even got so afraid when she came near him that he forced a path for himself between the pen and the wall to escape (the pen was against the wall on one side). I’m not sure what to do. She’s absolutely crazed and is pissed the area is blocked off again. She tries to chew through the (open) xpen until she passes out. I’ve tried to deter her but she’s wide eyed and determined to get through to the either side for some unknown reason.

1) what the heck is happening/why doesn’t he recognize her? My only conclusion is that the space under the bed requires the buns to do that funny squatting run. He may see her do that and think it’s another animal?

2) how do I get Wolfie to understand that the bunny under the bed is the same as the bunny he knows and loves? Every room they will ever stay in has a space under the bed, so this is a real issue we’ll have to face wherever we go.

3) how do you deter a bunny who is determined and crazed? She’s absolutely obsessed and goes into a frenzy trying to chew through the metal pen (which again, is OPEN!).

i think this was the weirdest thing I’ve experienced in my years of having a bunny! Has anyone experienced the same thing?

• Wick & Fable
        5771 posts Send Private Message
          1. It’s possible he didn’t recognize her due to lighting and such. Rabbits aren’t the smartest creatures. At the same time, I wonder if, since it’s new territory, there was just general defensive and fear around it.
          2. Probably exposure to the experience again.
          3. I would block the visual of the other side using a bed sheet. It doesn’t matter that it is open– it matters that it is a see-through structure that’s in the way.  This is what I do:

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• LittleLionMan
          Participant

Ah thanks, Wick! He’s more acting afraid than territorial, so the lighting combined with the strange movement is most likely. She seems completely unfazed by it and is confused by his fear. The whole thing was very odd fo witness haha! Im going to try blocking it off with the remaining pen I have. I like the idea of putting a sheet over it as well. Thanks again!

• LittleLionMan
            Participant

I feel so silly for not thinking to do this earlier. Thanks again, Wick! After circling snd trying to find a way in, this the face of defeat:

• DanaNM
              8901 posts Send Private Message

haha! the face of defeat is so real!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Weird behavior and space under the bed