Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Weight loss in my mini-rex

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Emmit
      Participant
      3 posts Send Private Message

I have a 5 year old mini-rex, female, and spayed that is constantly losing weight.  She has been biting on her food bowl when eating pellets and only eats enough pellets to keep her healthy.  She (Louise) seems well, but will only eat so much pellets and stop.  When I put Timothy hay in her bowl she devours all of it over the pellets already in there.  Have taken her to the vet who found she had an inflamed gum line and put her on anti-biotics for tem days.  Her appetite has not increased up to this point.  Does anybody have any ideas as to what her ailment might be?
        1114314016171.jpg

• dmh426
        Participant
        433 posts Send Private Message

I have a rex/mini-rex and I’ve only enountered weight loss once, when she was ill. She still looks healthy in the picture above and you say that she is eating timothy hay. When waqs the last vet appointment? It could be that the inflamed gumline causes her pain when she is eating. Does she still take treats when offered? How are her bowel movements? is everything there normal? Normal size poops and everything?

On the other side, Baytril, an antibiotic that I am familiar with sometimes causes a loss of appetite. How long has she been on her antibiotic? Which is it?

• Emmit
          Participant

She is no longer on the medication.  Her poops were mostly good, except she would have very watery bowel movements every couple of days.  That seems to have subsided since I’ve begun feeding her Timothy Hay.  Thank you for your interest.

• dmh426
            Participant
            433 posts Send Private Message

I think bunnies generally take more time to recover than some. if she will take treats from you and is eating her hay, just keep an eye on the gumline. Do you have a follow up appt with the vet? If for any reason you feel uncomfortable with her eating status, or she stops drinking. take her to the vet asap!!

• Gravehearted
              Participant
              2428 posts Send Private Message

mofins – welcome to binkybunny!

I would also call the vet about a follow-up since it doesn’t sound like her gums have improved. It may be with the inflamation that the pellets are more painful to eat. is she eatting her veggies? Also – if she has been losing a lot of weight, your vet might suggest making some additions to her enhance her diet – such a rolled oats.

• BinkyBunny
                8776 posts Send Private Message

She definitely doesn’t look thin.  On the contrary,(whispering) she looks a "pleasantly plump"    BUT,  I do know it could be just the picture.  

Regardless of what her weight is usually at, mysterious weightloss and/or appetite loss is cause for concern.

How long has this problem been going on?

How old was she when she was spayed?

Did your vet say what the reason was for the inflamed gum?  Dental disease in rabbits can be the cause and there are several different issues that can cause dental disease.  Here is a link about it http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx

FYI:  If the runny stools was happening while she was on antibiotics, then make sure to tell your vet.  As antibiotics can actually cause this.   Some vets will try a lower dose or switch to another kind.

• Emmit
                  Participant

I thank you.  I have scheduled her for a return trip to my vet.  My best to you and your rabbit(s).

• BinkyBunny
                    8776 posts Send Private Message

Let us know how it goes!  I’ll send healthy vibes your bunny’s way.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Weight loss in my mini-rex