Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE weight?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • Cinnimon&Ollie
      Participant
      300 posts Send Private Message

I have two bunnies, cinnimon an almost 3 year old Netherland dwarf and ollie a believed to be a polish dwarf who is 1. The last time I weighed them would be about 6 months ago, and they both weighed 2.8lbs. I weighed them today and ollie is now 2.4lbs and cinnimon 2.6lbs. I worry a lot about them I know it’s probably not a problem but is this a good weight? Also, should I increase food? They get fed 1/4 cup pellets, 24/7 hay, and about 4-5 cups of veggies a day.

• Moonshadow
        Participant
        41 posts Send Private Message

My current bunny (a netherland dwarf) weighs around 2.6-2.7lbs. He’s all lean muscle and runs and jumps everywhere constantly. Also has a really good appetite.

My first bun (a dwarf hotot mix) was smaller. He only weighed around 2.1lbs but he was healthy too.

I think all buns are different and it just depends on if their proportions feel right for their bodies

• LBJ10
          16898 posts Send Private Message

Individuals will vary so you can’t really go off of breed and weight. Determining whether or not they are a healthy weight can be tricky. But a bunny should be filled out, but not chubby. You should be able to slightly feel the ribs and there should be some substance between them. You should be able to feel the spine as well, but only the very tops of the vertebrate. There should be muscle around the spine. Same goes for the hips. Does that make sense?

If you’re not sure, you can always have your vet evaluate their body condition.

• Cinnimon&Ollie
            Participant
            300 posts Send Private Message

Yes that does make sense. Thank you! Also, they should go to the vet once a year, right? Sorry if it is a dumb question.

• Wick & Fable
              5781 posts Send Private Message

Once a year and some say starting at 6yo to go twice a year — in addition to any time you are concerned!

See here for some guidance on assessing healthy weight (in conjunction with veterinary judgements): https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Weight_management

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• DanaNM
                8929 posts Send Private Message

In this case I think it would be good to start weighing them more regularly and see if they are still losing weight. If they lose more, a vet visit would probably be a good idea.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE weight?