Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Weepy eye(s) no other symptoms! Help :(

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • Dubbsmama1
      Participant
      34 posts Send Private Message

On Thursday, I noticed that my bunny, Wubbie, had a leaky eye. I called vet and decided to give it one more day. I drove to vet on Friday (without him) to get eye drops. It is now Monday, and it hasn’t gotten any better. We are going to the vet today at 3:15. On Saturday, I noticed his other eye was leaky as well, but not as much and seems to be more intermittent. I am very nervous and afraid that it is a dental issue and he is going to need to be sedated or surgery etc.

He shows absolutely no other symptoms. He is his normal, funny, precious, happy self. My biggest fear is that he is hiding pain. I love him so much, I just hate to see anything happen to him at all. Eats healthy, eats all of his food (hay, pellets, and soft) no drooling or any distinct signs of dental issue. Anyone else experience anything like this?

• Doodler
        Participant
        337 posts Send Private Message

I am sorry if I am catching you late but since I don’t know where you reside I figured I would still answer just in case.

I had this same thing happen to one of my buns. I took him to the vet and they explained that it’s very common in some buns because of the way their teeth grow. The way the tear duct is positioned in relation to the teeth roots is just an invite for this to happen. The roots can sometimes grow in a way that can pinch the duct. This can cause it to be a chronic issue. The tear duct can be a blocked for other reasons as well, such as scar tissue. I will let you know how my buns went and I hope you have the same result!

On the first vet visit my vet actually used something (not sure of the technical term but it sounded like a thin tube) to try and clear out the ducts. One cleared and the other didn’t. I was give two different eye drops that he had to get twice a day. After two weeks we went back for a visit and it was much better at that time. My vet tried to clear them again and although the one he couldn’t get the first time was difficult he managed to get it mainly cleared. I had to give drops for another week. It’s been about 8 months and luckily I have yet to have it happen again.

Good luck with your bun!

• Dubbsmama1
          Participant
          34 posts Send Private Message

Hi, thank you for responding to me! We did go to the vet and she checked his teeth as best as she could with him being awake. She could not see his very last molars, but nothing else indicated a dental issue or reason for sedation and full dental exam. She implied that his visible teeth would likely have spurs, be sharp, or uneven, but they are in great shape. He shows ZERO other symptoms. We do have drops, his eye is still tearing intermittently, but I am hoping it subsides. I clean it and dry it very diligently. I asked her about draining his ducts and she doesn’t like that procedure, and she is a rabbit savvy vet, she even has bunnies that live at the facility. It doesn’t seem to be affecting his quality of life at all, I just hate to see my little best friend going through anything. I hope both of our buns get better xo thanks again!

• Doodler
            Participant
            337 posts Send Private Message

You’re welcome! I’m sorry to hear your vet didn’t want to do the flushing. It seems to be a pretty standard procedure in these cases but, as with most things, vets clearly have differing opinions. I know it can be dangerous if done wrong and it can lead to some scar tissue. I have zero regret having my buck’s done and am so grateful my vet does them. It’s been about 8 months and he has had zero weeping since and I know it wouldn’t have resolved on it’s own. He also had no other symptoms.

I hope your guy’s does clear up with the treatment prescribed! Even though it doesn’t technically impact their quality of life it can’t be enjoyable having running tears. It’s also very annoying to keep cleaning for us. With that said there are far worse things to possibly have to deal with so I am glad he has no other symptoms. Good luck!!

• LBJ10
              16908 posts Send Private Message

Although bad teeth and bad roots often go hand-in-hand, it isn’t always the case. One of mine has perfect teeth. The vet can’t get over how great they look, even for his age. But he has had tooth root problems for many years now. Something to consider, for sure.

Another though, is your bunny a dwarf breed? Sometimes a smooshed face can cause a kink in the tear duct.

• Bunny House
                Participant
                1241 posts Send Private Message

Have you been able to do an X-ray or a ct of the head and see if there is something visible on the image to warrent further treatment? I know cts cost a lot but they show Almost everything.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Weepy eye(s) no other symptoms! Help :(