Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Weepy Eye

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • MimzMum
      Participant
      8029 posts Send Private Message

Due to what I think might’ve been a kick in the eye or some other mishap during a bondign session with the buns last night, Mimzy began with a weepy eye at about 5 this morning. It wasn’t too bad at first, and I thought it might just be some hair strayed into it or dust, plus I had my fan on last night since it was stoking hot and he began to sneeze so I turned it off.

I’ve seen this on the board a million times and I still forget what to do about it (besides an obvious trip to the vet if it becomes worse). Can anyone assist me, please?

Thanks!

1622361130871.jpg

• babybunsmum
        Participant
        3896 posts Send Private Message

can you see a scuff on mimzy’s eyeball?  if yes, the vet can do a dye test to be sure it’s not too deep.  that’s what baby bun had & hers was okay so i’m not sure what they’d do otherwise.  for the runny eye bit all i know to do is to massage her face beween the eye & nose gently with a damp cloth to clean the runny bit.  and it may loosen up if anything is in the tear duct.  not sure how long to leave it go without going to the vet or if saline drops will help.  hopefully some one else can comment about that.  good luck!  (((feel better mimz’s eye!)))

• RabbitPam
          11002 posts Send Private Message

I had taken Spockie to the vet when he had an eye that was damp like your picture shows. Once she examined him thoroughly (with her blue light so maybe it was also a dye test) he got eyedrops that was a tube of creamy stuff that I put into the corner of his eye and it melted from his body heat.
            Usually it cleared up in 2 days. It was a blocked tear duct. He always had it every 6 months-to a year or so, and I just applied the prescription drop from then on. She said it would happen periodically, but for life. Nothing worse ever developed.

• MimzMum
            Participant

BBM, his eye is so dark brown and my eyes are so far gone, it’s really hard to tell. It LOOKS clear as far as I can tell. (I’ve had to check cats’ eyes for the same thing, it’s pretty obvious if the eyeball has been scratched.)
              But I was massaging it this morning and he didn’t seem to be flinching or anything and did seem to appreciate the rubbing. Believe me, I’ll not let it go long. I’ve seen what can happen if you neglect stuff like this.

Thanks too, Rabbitpam. He hasn’t shown any prior trouble and I really think it just happened this morning, but I won’t throw out any possibilities. If you could’ve heard the ruckus they’d made early this A.M., you’d probably be figuring SOMEONE got a poke somehow. I was just afraid it had been Pip (my daughter would kill me!) but she was intact and in fine disapproving bun form when I separated them too.

• RabbitPam
              11002 posts Send Private Message

Sounds like Pip won the fight.
                BBM’s advice is good, and since it’s Sunday night, see if it dries out after you wash the area and is dry in the morning. It looks pretty good now, just wet, but if it gets pink or puffy, it’s vet time.

• babybunsmum
                Participant
                3896 posts Send Private Message

yes those eye scuffs are sure hard to see.  the only way i can see baby’s is by the light reflection… the rest of the eyeball is smooth except for where the scuff is.  but when baby’s eye got scuffed there was also whitish goo coming from the eye, so if it’s just clear runny stuff it’s most likely a blocked tear duct like rabbitpam mentions.  hope it’s getting better!

• MimzMum
                  Participant

Yes, the eyeball is still smooth, like a little bunny marble. ^_^ We had to run into town for groceries last night (since it’d been put off from last week) and when we returned there was no sign of weeping at all and he looked totally normal. Still looks great today too, so I guess whatever was in it is gone now. (I did do the wiping it with a wet cloth trick, it worked beautifully!)
                    Sure had me scared though…thought I was looking at a week’s worth of vet trips, between the buns and the escaped cat. >__0

• Scarlet_Rose
                    Participant
                    4293 posts Send Private Message

I agree with everyone else. Get to the vet for a dye test to make sure it is not scratched, then you may be prescribed some eye drops. For just dust, allergens and hay in the eye, I irrigate it with saline solution then wipe with a kleenex. You can also use a warm, damp washcloth to wipe the area around the eye.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Weepy Eye