Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE We think we have to put my sweetie to sleep

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
    • SLMN
      Participant
      6 posts Send Private Message

Hello bunny lovers family, I’m having a hard time in my heart right now. My 7 year old girl had a toe injury in April which turned into an infection. Long story short, she ended up getting an amputation removing her foot up to her thigh. The night she came home from surgery she had thick white mucous around her nose I have never seen before-we think she caught a bad bug from the vet since her immune system was already low from the leg infection. Since April, her leg was healing great, all urine scald recovered. Overnight, last night while cleaning her behind I noticed the amp site warm and hard (hard like her leg that was amputated). I believe the infection came back underneath. I’m so confused as there was no opening. Since she’s been on all kinds of antibiotics (from surgery and then the respiratory issues), there’s nothing else to cut off and fear the infection will cause her quality of life to decrease uncomfortably. Has anyone experience infection, amputation, hopes of high recovery, then back to square one? The thought of putting her to sleep because of the infection that we cant fix with her current zest for snacks and bright eyes is breaking my heart.

• GlennTheLionhead
        Participant
        361 posts Send Private Message

Hey. I am sorry you and yourbunny are going through this :(.

I don’t know too much about this type of issue but I am replying so hopefully others that might be able to help will be notified of this thread so you can hopefully get some advice.

If I were to try and advise I would suggest speaking to your rabbit vet about your concerns for their opinion. Also generally when rabbits are still perky and enjoying food / moving around / nibbling toys, they are still getting enjoyment in their life. Its a very personal decision, deciding what is right for your bun. Many times buns can live with chronic and terminal conditions happily for some time (usually with meds) before their quality of life has fallen into the threshold of being too poor. This can be anywhere from weeks to years depending on the bun and condition.

• Wick & Fable
          5782 posts Send Private Message

I’m very sorry to hear about what you’re going through with your rabbit. At this point, veterinary assessment (likely imaging since it may be internal) would be my next step to get clarity on what exactly is going on. Her being perky and energetic now are great signs and argue against putting her to sleep, so getting a clear idea of what’s going on and what treatment can be done would be good. If it is an infection, there are antibiotics. If it’s a bit painful, there are pain medications. There is still potentially a lot of area to cover before thinking about putting her sleep at this point and I would explore that frankly with your vet.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• SLMN
            Participant

Hi everyone, thank you so much for your replies. We went to the Ginger’s vet yesterday, we are trying one last resort antibiotic since she’s still fighting (still bright eyes, zest for treats, alert). We are doing the gentamicin via injection (she did the eye drop route for her nose issue-it didnt help). This version will go throughout her body. The con of this antibiotic per vet is that its strong and may affect her kidneys so we have to make sure she’s hydrated. If not drinking on her own we learned to do the subQ fluids through her skin. Throughout this whole journey that’s still continuing, I make sure vets and assistant (or whoever is handling her) wash their hands. I believe she got something bad at the very first visit of a broken toe nail. Unfortunately at the first visit fur parents were not allowed in the office because of covid protocols so I have no idea what happened. All I know she went it ok and came out limping that night and everyday since her toe got worst to where she ate it off, yes ate it off because it was missing the next morning checking on her. My theory is the vet took a look at her nail, probably touched it and maneuvered nail, likely with hands that might of touched another sick animal, it got in her system and never left. So rabbit parents always suggest vets and asst to wash their hands before handling. It seems simple/common sense but no one cares for our little guys as much as we do and we are paying the price sometimes the ultimate one. Sorry for venting. Im sad and mad, but hopeful.

• SLMN
                Participant

Forgot toadd in case anyone is interested about the different antibiotcs- She did all the other anibiotics from cipro, baytril (stopped this sunday since it didnt help nose and this day noticed infection came back), sulfatrim (still on this one from Monday), and the 2 versions of gentimicin.

• Bam
                16878 posts Send Private Message

I’m very sorry you are dealing with this.

The bad bug she got couldve come from anywhere. There are plenty of common bacteria that are opportunistic -i ebacteria that are harmless under normal circumstances, but become pathogenic if they happen to find the right (or, from our perspective, wrong) environment. The immune defense can only cope with so much, then it needs help from antibiotics.

I’m glad you’re trying this antibiotic, it is most likely the best route of action. I sincerely hope it will fight off the infection.

• Ellie from The Netherlands
                  Participant
                  2512 posts Send Private Message

It’s horrible to have your bunny this close to the edge, and I really keep my fingers crossed that she’ll recover. The ABs sound like a good plan.

It’s true that many bacteria can be harmless to someone with a normal funtioning immune system, but a big problem for someone with a dip in their immunity. I have an auto-immune disorder and I frequently get infections from normal bacteria. They don’t have to be foreign to my body either: if I get a small scratch my own skin bacteria can cause a nasty rapidly speading infection that I need ABs for. Rabbits can have the same problems with bacteria that are normal for their environment.

Fingers crossed for your girl, hoping that she continues to show rabbittude!

• SLMN
                    Participant

Thank you so much

• White Rabbit
                      Participant
                      32 posts Send Private Message

Hope she is doing well.

• SLMN
                        Participant

Thank you again everyone. The infection continued to spread in her body, going towards her good leg, throughout her privates. Throughout this whole time her spirit was strong but I knew she was uncomfortable-the infected parts were hard and her fur was slothing off, she was very tolerant of me helping her bath her bottom. She kept strong still always ready for treats. We decided Monday morning because she stopped moving and though her poops were small she still made the territorial ones along her gate because she hated our other house bunny. This was the first night there wasn’t any. I told her it is ok to stop fighting.  She enjoyed her oatmeal and banana treat all the way till the end. She’s with her hunbun now(passed in 2020)

• Ellie from The Netherlands
                          Participant
                          2512 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry to hear that she’s gone… Binky free, sweet bunny, the fight is over now and harm can never touch you again.

• Bam
                            16878 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry you had to let her go. You really did everything for her. She was very lucky to have you.

Binky free, sweet girl 💔

• DanaNM
                              8935 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry to hear that, but it’s clear you did the right thing by her and gave her a wonderful life. <3 Agree with Bam, she was very lucky to have you.

(((Binky free Ginger)))

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• SLMN
                                  Participant

Thank you, that touches my heart. We’re still struggling on figuring out what went wrong. Amputation on 4/20, checked her every night when helping her clean, healed beautifully, then all of sudden late May, on one of her nightly bottom check we felt hard flesh (but no opening) on amp site, same hard flesh on the leg that was amputated and it spread fast.

Viewing 11 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE We think we have to put my sweetie to sleep