Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Watery eyes after a spay

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • RachelF
      Participant
      287 posts Send Private Message

I must have read about a million post of people talking about a rabbit spay or neuter. Anyone notice water/runny eyes when they picked their buns up? It looked like she had been crying.

She seems to be doing okay. Haven’t seen her eat anything yet and its been about 5 hours since the surgery. She insists on laying in her litterbox, instead of the nice comfy towels in her cage. She doesn’t want anything to do with anyone– almost seems like the medication is wearing off.. I can imagine shes sore

Should I just leave her alone tonight? My instinct is to lay her on my lap until she comes around more. My boyfriend says he thinks I should leave her alone, that shes needs some times to come around. She’s in her cage right now, with a blank stare on her face.

I just want her back to normal!!

• Beka27
        Participant
        16016 posts Send Private Message

the watery eyes are *probably* leftover residue from the ointment they put on the bun to keep the eyes from drying out during surgery. you can use a warm, damp cloth to clean them up carefully.

however, if the eyes are DISCHARGING, this is a different thing altogether. but i’m assuming it’s from the surgery.

• BunnyMuffin
          Participant
          350 posts Send Private Message

Yeah – Noelle had the goopy eye thing too. I wasn’t sure what it was at the time, but it didn’t look like her eyes were actually producing it, so I wasn’t too worried. So like Beka said, as long as it isn’t the eye discharging, it’s nothing to worry about.

I would probably just leave her be. Noelle did a lot of laying in her litterbox as well. I just think that she’ll know best what hurts and what doesn’t and will move around more at her own pace. I did spend a lot of time in the xpen (I used that as her recovery area) with Noelle petting her and feeding her to make sure she kept eating and felt comforted, but I was reluctant to move her around myself (except to put her in her various jumpsuits to keep her from yarding her stitches out…)

Maybe offer your bun a raisin and give her some loving without moving her. Even at her groggiest, Noelle still managed to eat the raisins!

• bunnytowne
            Participant
            7537 posts Send Private Message

Your bun in your avatar is adorable.  Hmm I wondered what that stuff was on Laith’s eyes when he has his neuter done. Now I know.

I would talk to your bun and gently pet her head.  Comfort her. She probably feels weird not under standing what the anesthesia is all about.  I put Laith on the couch ane petted him then he would doze off then perk up and I would talk to him and pet him til he dozed off agian.  He liked that. It helped him learn to trust me more too.

You may want to leave her lying where she is while you talk to her and soothe her.  She will be ok.  Just needs a little time.

I wonder how a hysterectomy feels. Having never had one it must feel all strange and sore inside.  I am trying to relate to your bun on how she would be feeling.

• RachelF
              Participant

Thanks guys, I don’t think its eye discharge, its sort of a greasy, vasilene type stuff. Its mostly gone, I brought her over on the couch with me with a blankie wrapped around her, and I’ve been petting her. I got my first lick of the evening But shes been grooming herself a bit and getting some of that icky goop off.

She ate some cilantro, chewing it extra slow but chewing nonetheless. It can only get better from here.

As always thanks for your support. Its comforting to have someone to talk to about this! Sorry for another spay/neuter post. I know the experts are probably screaming “READ THE OLD POSTS BEFORE YOU ASK THE SAME QUESTIONS!!”

sowie.

• MooBunnay
                Participant
                3087 posts Send Private Message

Don’t worry – we are all happy to answer questions! I actually do not recall discussing goopy eyes after spay before anyways – but now that you mention it, I remember seeing that on my bunnies after their surgery as well.

As far as keeping her comforted – its a good idea to not move her around too much, it might hurt her tummy. Give her some soft towels, or a fleece blanket to lay on so that she can get as comfortable as possible, and try to keep her environment as peaceful as possible, no loud noises or anything to startle her. She will come around eventually, just keep comforting her and trying to entice her with treats from time to time to try to get her eating again.

• Balefulregards
                  Participant
                  715 posts Send Private Message

Yes, I called them “sick eyes” – Coco didn’t look right, but they subsided after a day or two,and like Beka said – totally a by-product of the stuff the vet uses for the spay.

• RachelF
                    Participant

Honey has been doing a lot better on her 2nd day after the spay. She’s out of the litter box and onto the blankies ^_^ I was soo happy, shes been so listless, and this morning she hopped right over to her cage door and put one paw up on the door.

“I’m all better now, its time for me to come out!!!”

=) Last I checked she was munching on some cilantro.  Hey, i just remembered I wanted to ask if anyone had noticed irregular poops after a surgery. I noticed hers were smaller than usual. I called the vet and they said that it is normal until her eating is back to normal, and I haven’t notice her eating a ton of hay. Not that I don’t trust my vet…

Thanks for your help. I can’t wait til I can let her out to run around again!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                      Participant
                      12067 posts Send Private Message

Yeah, I would just keep an eye and make sure she’s always eating and pooping, but they could be a little diff after a spay. Sounds like shes feeling pretty good now!

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Watery eyes after a spay