Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Water Bowl Algae

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author
    • Bree and Pebs
      Participant
      19 posts Send Private Message

Hi,

So I know this might make me sound terrible and it may be a stupid question, but is algae in my buns water bowl harmful for her? This happens to my dog as well. I clean it when it starts to become noticeable to look at but I don’t have the time to constantly clean it and when I do, I can never get into the corners so there is always some in there. I am just wondering if it will cause any issues for my bunny or dog. 

Thanks!
        Bree, Pebs and Meika

• Deleted User
        Participant
        22064 posts Send Private Message

Water should be changed daily and the container should be wiped out. How often do you change it?

• Toasty
          Participant
          17 posts Send Private Message

Are the bowls outside or in direct light? I keep aquariums, I have my rabbit’s water in a little white ceramic bowl and it pretty much sits under the window and I’ve never experienced algae in it.

If you’re using a plastic bowl, especially a lighter colored one that transmits light through it more, it’ll be easier for algae to grow. But the algae needs nutrients, which makes it sound like maybe you’re adding either nutrients to the water bowl or maybe it’s getting food in it that is being left for a little too long?

I’d switch to a stainless steel or ceramic that doesn’t transmit light through it. If you can just go in and empty the bowl, wipe it down and fill it with fresh water in the morning you shouldn’t experience any algae (assuming it’s indoors).

• Deleted User
            Participant

Toasty- unrelated but can I PM you a question about aquariums? I have a 5g planted tank with bloody mary shrimp and I’m trying to clear up the water.

• Bree and Pebs
              Participant

Honestly, I tend to top it up rather than fully replace it… is that bad? I am really worried now  Not to mention it is late where I live so I can’t fix it now…. ARGHHH. I wipe it out when I notice it and when I notice it I change it. I am so scared

• Bree and Pebs
                Participant

My bunny is outdoors. I do not add any nutrients nor food into my bunnies bowl and yes, it is a clear-ish plastic bowl that is light green 

• Deleted User
                  Participant

I change my boys’ water every night and rinse out their bowls at the same time. Bacteria can accumulate as well as fur and dust. I only top it up in the morning before work.

• Wick & Fable
                    5771 posts Send Private Message

Probably outside bacteria or generally rabbit dirt getting into it, which means you definitely be should be cleaning it daily, not topping it off. Stagnant water outside is not good. I do this with Wick’s water bowls even though he’s inside.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Deleted User
                      Participant

As everyone else said, yes you need to be replacing the water- not just topping it off. Especially because of the direct sunlight. And algae can proliferate rapidly in the right conditions. I recommend just getting a new bottle, since methods of killing algae are likely not safe for rabbits. You can buy those scrubbers that they sell for baby bottles so that you can clean it. You really should start doing complete water changes every day and also give it a quick scrub.

• Toasty
                        Participant
                        17 posts Send Private Message

On top of the whole, change it every day, really rinse it out, which if you make it a daily habit it takes 30 seconds to run around the rim with your hand and run under some hard water, I’d invest in a different type of bowl.

Plastic can really harbor bacteria as it gets scratched up, the translucency isn’t helping at all. Stainless steel would be best if it can go out of sunlight so it doesn’t heat it up, ceramic works too but if it gets knocked over and broken may hurt your rabbits.

• Gordo and Janice
                          Participant
                          703 posts Send Private Message

Yes, at least daily change out. We actually did it morning and night. Of course it seems we did everything a little over the top. Stainless steel bowl, just ran my fingers around it under water and it would take care of any film that might have started to accumulate which was very rare. 5 seconds and done. But regarding the stainless steel bowl. Our rabbit was inside so yes if using stainless steel bowl outside, it would definitely need to be out of direct sunlight as Toasty mentioned.

• mschoonover11
                            Participant
                            288 posts Send Private Message

I’m sorry, but to me it sounds stupid that you don’t have time to clean out your rabbits bowl. That only takes about five minuets! If you don’t even have time to clean your rabbit’s water bowl, than how do you spend time with your rabbit? I personally don’t even clean mine like every week, but at least clean it very 2 weeks! You shouldn’t wait to see if it has algae in it. Imagine if you had to drink out of a cup that had algae and bacteria in it?! I’m sure you wouldn’t want too. I apologize if I came off harsh, but honestly, it sounds retarted that you don’t have time to clean your rabbit’s water bowl… especially with having a bunny in the outdoors. there’s a lot of bacteria out there

• sarahthegemini
                              Participant
                              5584 posts Send Private Message

I posted this on your other thread but I’ll say it again…

How can you not have time to clean a water bowl? Providing clean, fresh water is literally the bare minimum. I’m confused as to how you don’t have time. I mean, really…

• Deleted User
                                Participant

I thought we were talking about a bottle here…in a bottle I can see how it would accumulate and become dirty, especially if you just top it off… and how it might be more of a pain to clean a bottle…

I don’t understand. It isn’t much of a chore to simply dump, wipe with a paper towel and refill.

• sarahthegemini
                                  Participant
                                  5584 posts Send Private Message

When I used to use bottles, I had two so that I could grab a fresh clean one from the cupboard in the morning and take the previous days bottle and clean it when I did the washing up that day.

I’m honestly baffled at this post :/

• Bree and Pebs
                                    Participant

I use bowls and I know, I feel like such a bad owner. I changed her water today, didn’t have time to do dogs but hers doesn’t have much algae at all. I have netball so I am going to do it either now or when I next get time. I still cant get into the corners of my buns bowl though? Any suggestions on how to get into the corners?

I feel so awful 

• Bree and Pebs
                                      Participant

Thank you Asriel and Bombur! I will start doing that! My bunny was very happy this morning so she isn’t sick. Now I know and I won’t do it again. 

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!

• Bree and Pebs
                                        Participant

Thanks Toasty! My bun’s cage goes near the fence and she has shade cloth so it will stay shaded. Steel sounds good! Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!

• Muj Mom N Bun
                                          Participant
                                          352 posts Send Private Message

I just would like to chime in and say, please also find time to make certain that your Bun’s bowl doesn’t get turned over or tossed around. Being that your rabbit is outside, you can’t really just glance over and see that she needs more water. I am only mentioning since my Bun gets plenty of pleasure tossing her steel bowl (yes, the kind that has a rim and a hoop that screws tight into the side of a cage to prevent such activity) all over the place so I opted with a heavy weighted straight sided ceramic bowl that she could not budge.

• Azerane
                                            4688 posts Send Private Message

If you can’t clean the bowl out properly I suggest getting a different bowl that is easier to clean. A large round ceramic dog bowl works well. And I agree that toy should not be waiting to see the algae before you clean it. I can feel that the bowl gets a little slimy after a few days if I’m only just topping it up but you wouldn’t see it if you looked. So yes, rinse and wipe with hot water every day. Wash thoroughly once a week.

• Bree and Pebs
                                              Participant

Thank you Azerane! I appreciate the fact that you aren’t making me feel bad about the whole situation. Geez my bunny is fine I just wish some of these people would be a bit nicer. I feel cruel 

• Bree and Pebs
                                                Participant

Muj Mom N Bun my bun has done that.. naughty bunny! I think I should get a new round bowl. But my bunny loves the bowl I have… maybe if I use my fingers or something I can get into the corners? The corners are the major issues really. I can’t get into the corners. Any suggestions to get into them????

• Gordo and Janice
                                                  Participant
                                                  703 posts Send Private Message

If it really is that difficult to get into the corners then I would go with the most logical and sensible fix, a different bowl, Bree and Pebs. Make your life immensely easier. A round bowl that has no corners or a round bowl that has the only edge as the one on the bottom that you can just swirl your finger around and easily contact all surfaces to remove any slime buildup. Make it so the water bowl is not such a problematic issue. Easier on you. Better for the bunny. Too many other hassles in life to have a water bowl problem that could be easily solved. That would be my ultimate suggestion.

• joea64
                                                    Participant
                                                    1423 posts Send Private Message

I have a large ceramic dish (actually originally a dog dish ) for Panda and Fernando which can hold up to 4 cups’ worth of water. This bowl, which is heavy and sturdy enough that it’s pretty much impossible to overturn, is always kept on the lower level of their condo, under the ramp connecting the levels, next to their litterbox and food dishes. I always completely empty and refill it at least once a day, twice a day is even better when I can manage it. This is particularly important because stray hay, leaves from their salad, pieces of chewed-up cardboard and even stray poops are apt to find their way into it.

• Daisy
                                                      Participant
                                                      199 posts Send Private Message

Maybe try a toothbrush for the corners? A round bowl would make your life a lot easier though. 

• Bree and Pebs
                                                        Participant

Ok, I have tried one of those shower scrub things and it kind of worked. I am thinking of trying a toothpick or skewer to kinda “dig” it out? I am gonna try that until I get some extra pocket money to buy a new bowl  Thank you everyone!

• Bam
                                                          16838 posts Send Private Message

I have just locked another, very similar thread by another member, simply because it’s less confusing if the discussion about water bowl algae is kept in one and the same thread. This is the other thread: https://binkybunny.com/FORUM/tabid/54/aft/166931/Default.aspx

Forum search is down for the time being, so it’s difficult for new members to find preexisting threads about specific topics.

Viewing 26 reply threads
                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Water Bowl Algae