Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Warren’s neuter

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • Staja
      Participant
      59 posts Send Private Message

So, I brought Mr. Warren in for his neuter this morning, and picked him up about 5:30PM. 

He seems a little mad at me (not that I blame him), but other than that ok.  At least, I’ve only made one call to the animal hospital emergency number, when I couldn’t get him to take his pain meds. I didn’t want to have to use force to get his mouth open =/

I know he was eating and pooping at the vet, but since he came home, he’s had a bit of papaya and a little bit of hay, but I haven’t seen him eat any pellets.  He’s not really pooped much yet, either.  The vet’s office said this was pretty normal, and to call them in the morning, if he still wasn’t eating much. (Or, I can call them anytime with additional questions)

I’ve been so nervous about having him go in for this surgery, and I want to make sure he’s ok!

• Beka27
        Participant
        16016 posts Send Private Message

he should be fine.  it usually takes about 24-48 hours for them to bounce back, and the boys usually do it a bit quicker.  you might also want to try giving him something he really likes (parsley or cilantro are nice because they’re real fragrant…) or anything else (healthy) that he likes a lot.

• Sarita
          Participant
          18851 posts Send Private Message

This sounds normal. Most vets schedule their surgeries in the middle of the day like between 11am and 2pm so if he got a later surgery he could still be a bit groggy when you picked him up. 24 to 48 hours is a reasonable time for them to get back to normal from the actual time of the surgery.

• MooBunnay
            Participant
            3087 posts Send Private Message

How is Warren doing today? Is he feeling any better?

• Staja
              Participant

Well, I kept waking up every hour or two last night because I was so worried about Warren. Unfounded worries, but this was my first bunny surgery, so I figured that me worrying was part of the procedure =)

Everytime I woke up, he was nibbling on some hay.  I also picked up some cilantro for him today, which is our favourite herb, so he got to munching on that, as well.  I let him out for a little low-key hopping.  I’m keeping him in the small cage, as opposed to his NIC cage, because I don’t want him jumping around too much, but I also know that moving around helps heal faster.

His area looks pretty clean – he’s even been a good boy about letting pick him up, so I can check his bits and bobs (or whatever he has left down there =D ) No abnormal swelling, no redness, no leaking, so I feel good about his recovery.

I do have a question, though.  Is it common for vets to shave the bun’s ears when they do a neuter?  Warren’s ears are shaved and I’m not really sure why.  I was thinking they might attach an oxygen or pulse monitor, but not really sure.  It just makes him look silly to be honest.

• Sarita
                Participant

Did your vet take blood for blookdwork? Somtimes they take blood from the ears so perhaps thats why his ears are shaved – otherwise I have no idea why they would shave the ears.

• Staja
                  Participant

I chatted with the vet tech today, and she said they shaved his ears because they were having problems getting his IV in. (Also why his leg is shaved, as well).

He’s been pretty excited about his cilantro snacks and hopping all over the place like a little monkey.  Hard to believe how pathetic and listless he was when I picked him up.  Today he even did his first post-surgery binky! 

It’s been a devil to get him to take his Metacam, let me tell you.  First day was pretty easy, just snuck up behind him, and opened his mouth.  This morning (last dose!) I had to all but climb in the cage with him, after he ran away from me for 20 minutes.  Once I got the syringe in his mouth, though, he didn’t want to let go of it.  He keeps forgetting how…tasty? the meds are. (Do they taste good?  I’ve only smelled them.)

Anyway, glad he’s nearly back to normal.  I can’t wait to be able to give him more out-of-cage time, without feeling sexually harassed by a 3 pound furball =)

• Sarita
                    Participant

Glad he is feeling better and it’s good to know why his ears were shaved too. He may not even the metacam if he’s bouncing around and doing binkies too.

The metacam has a sweet taste to it so perhaps he likes it. It smells like honey to me.

• Scarlet_Rose
                      Participant
                      4293 posts Send Private Message

Yay Warren you little trooper! I would have been up and down all night checking on him too!

• Staja
                        Participant

So, Warren’s neuter was a week ago this afternoon, and he seems to have bounced right back – eating, drinking, pooping, and binkying like normal.

He only lets me pick him up to peek at his incision site after he’s gotten set to hump me. Fine, I can deal with that. But, my question is this.  The site is looking a little crusty.  He doesn’t like me looking at it, so it’s hard to get a good view, but I think it looks like it’s healing fine.  It’s a little pink, and as I said, it looks a little crusty.  There’s no pus or leakage from anywhere in the area that’s not supposed to be leaking. (As I said, he only lets me check after he’s started trying to hump me)

Is this normal, or is it something I need to take him to the vet for?  I have no problem calling the vet in the morning, I just want to make sure this isn’t something he needs to go to the vet ASAP for.

Thanks!

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Warren’s neuter