Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Warning About Advantage II Kitten

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    • Chai Bunny
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

As I have researched over the years I have found information saying Advantage II Kitten and Revolution Kitten are the only two flea treatments safe for bunnies. I was using Advantage II Kitten on my bun until my apartment got flea infested out of nowhere and the treatment wasn’t killing the fleas. I noticed a concentrated red spot the last time I used Advantage, but it looked th me like flea bites so I blamed the fleas. I have now switched him to Revolution Kitten. However, the last follow up extermination I had yesterday ment I had to board him. I did not have the ability due to work to call the vet for the Revolution and so I just got some Advantage II Kitten. Tonight I noticed that same big red spot as before where I applied it. I realize now that the Advantage II Kitten has been giving my bunny chemical burns. I feel like such a horrible bun bun mom that I didn’t recognize that before. Long story short I’ll only ever be using the Revolution Kitten on him. Warning to all bunny parents out there, Advantage II Kitten is not what I consider safe for bunnies. It has a chance of burning them.

• LBJ10
        16869 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry this happened to you and your bunny. Unfortunately, skin reaction at the application site is a possible side effect with any spot-on flea treatment. Advantage and Revolution are generally safe for bunnies. However, each bunny can react differently to different medications. This means they could be fine with one kind, and have a skin reaction to another because the ingredients are different.

Most bunnies though, will not experience a reaction. The risk is small and you just never know if your bunny will be one of the few that will have a reaction until it happens. So please don’t blame yourself. Sometimes it can be hard to identify a skin reaction due to medication vs. a skin reaction to flea bites.

I’m glad that you know now what will work for your bunny. If Revolution does not cause a skin reaction, then it would be good to stick to that.

PSA for anyone who might be reading (but isn’t necessarily a response to the OP) – When selecting a flea treatment for your bunny, never use a product containing fipronil (Frontline, etc.). Fipronil is toxic to bunnies. It can be deadly if applied to your bunny.

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Warning About Advantage II Kitten