Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Want Neutering Input

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
    • skunklionshow
      Participant
      1257 posts Send Private Message

Leo’s weight has stabilized.  He’s holding pretty well at just above 4 lbs.  Unfortunately, he’s developed a wicked sweet tooth from the extra treats he’s been getting but that would have to be another post…so here’s some questions I’d like input on:

1.  I discussed w/ my vet about not neutering Leo.  B/c of his teeth probs, possibly requiring anesthesia for dental filing and trimming, I wanted to get an idea w/ what I’d be risking by not neutering him.  My biggest concern is his negative response to anethesia and propensity to stop eating when he feels kinda yucky.  Leo is about 3.5 years.  His bunny girlfriend is neutered and he doesn’t demonstrate hormonal boy behavior.  My vet stated that that is the primary reason people neuter male buns.  He stated that repro organ cancer is not as prevelent in male buns as female buns, so I’m not putting his life in jeopardy by not neutering him.  However I’d love some forum input…am I a bad bunny mommy?

2.  Re: Trigger, the bunny that now resides w/ my clients.  I obtained 2 neuter price quotes.  One from the SPCA: $95 and My vet:  $150.  I trust my vet much more than a vet at the local shelter…but I really can’t afford either.  I’m going to try to get the boys some art supplies to make t-shirts and magnets to sell for Trigger’s neuter.  Whatever they raise in addition, I will put on a petstore gift card for supplies.  So input, or did I answer my own question?

Thanks

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

1. I think if it’s a risk for Leo and your vet thinks it’s a risk and his bunny girlfriend is spayed then you should go with what your vet recommends. It is alot for bonding and behavior and while I totally am pro-neutering I understand that there are some instances where it could be a risk to put a rabbit under anesthesia and highly recommend that the owner go with the recommendation of their vet on this issue. And no you are a GREAT bunny mom to get all sides of the issue and take Leo’s delicate medical situation into consideration.

2. I do think you answered your question :~)

• Scarlet_Rose
          Participant
          4293 posts Send Private Message

Hiya, first off I changed the subject title as I was quite confused at the "What Neutering Input" and thought I am pretty sure you meant "Want Neutering Input."  So I hope you don’t mind.  Unfortunately the title isn’t something that you can edit yourself either so I keep an eye out and tryt o prevent too much confusion.

I don’t think that you are a bad bunny mommy for not neutering.  The biggest reasons for it are behavior and pregnancy prevention. Which it sounds like neither is a problem in your household.  It sounds like your vet is comfotable with it too.  The cost sounds like an issue as well, and I think heck, take care of you and yours and it’s not an "immediate" need like a life or death situation. This is all aside from Leo’s sensitivity to anesthesia. I would hold off and I don’t think you are wrong or bad by doing so either. You do a wonderful job and I am so glad to hear that Leo’s weight is finally stabilizing! Hooray!

• MsBinky
            Participant
            62 posts Send Private Message

Can they not neuter him while they fix his teeth since he will be under anesthesia already? Neutering isn’t invasive like a spay and they generally bounce back quite quickly. Any possibility? But if it’s not, it doesn’t make you a bad mommy at all.

As for the SPCA vet, usually they are recommended because they due tons of work for the shelter

I hope it all works out like you want

• Sarita
              Participant
              18851 posts Send Private Message

They may not put him totally under anesthesia to file his teeth like they do for a neuter. The vet may use sevoflurane for a procedure like a molar trim but for spays and neuters they will most likely use isoflourine. Also with the neuters or spays they use an injectable sedative as well.  So basically different types of anesthesias for different reasons and procedures.

• MooBunnay
                Participant
                3087 posts Send Private Message

I think you are an excellent bunny mom in fact for all of the care and attention you’ve given to Leo Its likely that through all the handling you’ve had to do with him that he has calmed down a lot and thats why he’s not displaying all of those bad bunny behaviors. I think that it sounds just fine to not have him neutered, I think that I would probably make the same decision. I was very hesitant to spay Grace because she had some weird behaviors from her blindness, but in the end I knew it would be better because of the risk of cancer, however, Leo does not have that risk so I think its a very reasonable decision to not have him neutered.

• MsBinky
                  Participant
                  62 posts Send Private Message

Ah okies, I haven’t reached that part of my course yet so I didn’t know they weren’t put under full anesthesia.

• BinkyBunny
                    8776 posts Send Private Message

No worries Ms Binky, that’s what’s great about forums where there are constant questions that need answers – We can all continue to learn. I learn something new all the time!

• poopy
                      Participant
                      684 posts Send Private Message

If he needs dental surgery why don’t you get that done while he’s asleep for the neuter as well? If it requires more anasthesia at least you’d be doing 2 in 1. If he stops eating afterwards, you can always hand feed him.

• skunklionshow
                        Participant
                        1257 posts Send Private Message

I asked the vet that exact same question about doing both procedures at the same time.  The reason he and my other vet at the practice said no is b/c of his sensitivities to anesthesia and that they wanted to use very limited anesthesia for him.  Also one of the big issues w/ his teeth is that he starts to lose weight due to teeth issues.  Unfortunately I don’t always catch it w/in the first 24 hours, so he’s already been compromised w/ his weight.  I love my little man so much!  He’s such a sweetie pie and I really want to do what is best for him.  I’m please to report that he is at 4 1/4 lbs!!!! Unfortunately, Jessi is now at 4 1/2 lbs!  The vet told us to give him whatever, whenever he wanted….so plenty of craisins & nanas.  Unfortunately, Jess usually nudged her way in on his treats.

• Scarlet_Rose
                          Participant
                          4293 posts Send Private Message

Woohoo Leo! That’s great news!

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Want Neutering Input